2nd chance for NYC bike route map Queens trip

Old October 2nd 05, 05:33 AM
Andy Gee

Default 2nd chance for NYC bike route map Queens trip

Well, making the .pdf bike route pertable was easier than i thought.
Apparently every bike shop in New York has pile of them, on paper, full
size, for free. That doesn't eliminate mistakes, discrepancies, or
ambiguities, but it's a step in the right direction.

Knowing how to go made this a pretty good trip. Once you're through
Sunnyside, Woodside, and Jackson Heights and into the park system, it's a
lot of fun. Most of the park route has a green stripe painted on the park
path to take, I seem to remember that park paths in NYC parks used to say
"no bicycles" on them. The Vanderbilt "Motor" Parkway was a real treat.
I've ridden on converted canals, canal towpaths, and railbeds, but I can't
seem to remember riding on an actual highway decommissioned for bicycle
use. This makes about 6 of the 18 or so miles from the Queensboro Bridge
to the Cross Island Parkway car-free and traffic light-free; not too
shabby. I was so comfortable on the way back that I was able to open it up
and get some speed going.

Anyway, there at the end of the rainbow, Belrose and the Nassau County
"line" (it's actually more of a squiggle at that point) and there was a
Hess station waiting for me with the cheapest discount cigarettes. Mission
accomplished. The return trip, going for speed, included New Hyde Park to
Midtown East in Manhattan in 90 minutes. This is actually within the range
(okay, high end of the range) for people commuting either by train or car.

--ag