Catching Faeries..

Old October 29th 07, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

Default Catching Faeries..

My daughter was one of the many to catch a faerie on Saturday. This
was the first Dundee start for a Tayside CTC run for many years.

We rode past a tractor trimming a hedge. Our enthusiasm was rapidly
deflated along with many tyres forcing an impromptu pitstop to fix a
significant number. However tea, cakes and bacon rolls soon restored
our spirits. I took the kids home by the flat route after lunch - it
was their longest days cycle ever at 30 miles (for a 9 and 10 yo) and
they thoroughly enjoyed it.

More pics from a great day out (apart from the faeries) by following
th elink above. Featuring myself in the role of Mr Bicycle Repair Man
and the inestimable Mr Clinch of this parish in a laid back stylee..

...d

Old October 29th 07, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

David Martin wrote:

We rode past a tractor trimming a hedge. Our enthusiasm was rapidly
deflated along with many tyres forcing an impromptu pitstop to fix a
significant number.

Total number, including naughty delayed action jobs, came in at 10 for
the whole ride, thankfully neither of mine included. That's quite a
number for about a dozen total riders!

I'd never really believed the more extreme tales of hedge-clipping
apocalypse up until then, but it was a particularly thorough wipeout!
My first thought was "I'll be okay, I'm on Marathons", but then I
noticed "Schwalbe Marathon" on the outside of one of the tyres being
whipped off one of the afflicted bikes...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old October 29th 07, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

On Oct 29, 11:55 am, Peter Clinch wrote:
David Martin wrote:
We rode past a tractor trimming a hedge. Our enthusiasm was rapidly
deflated along with many tyres forcing an impromptu pitstop to fix a
significant number.

Total number, including naughty delayed action jobs, came in at 10 for
the whole ride, thankfully neither of mine included. That's quite a
number for about a dozen total riders!

One of those was before we had got tot he hedge though. The thorns
were pretty vicious. The one Rachel is holding had just been pulled
out of her front tyre.

...d

Old October 29th 07, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Peter Clinch said the following on 29/10/2007 11:55:

I'd never really believed the more extreme tales of hedge-clipping
apocalypse up until then, but it was a particularly thorough wipeout!

Never under-estimate hedge-clipping! Broken glass? No problem.
Flints? No problem. Hedge-trimming? Oh sh**!

I'm tentatively looking forward to testing my Specialized Nimbus
Armadillos to see how they cope. They'd better be good because I don't
want all that weight and rolling resistance for nothing!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old October 29th 07, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

David Martin said the following on 29/10/2007 11:39:

I took the kids home by the flat route...

Sounds like you took them out by the "flat" route as well :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old October 29th 07, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:55:25 +0000 someone who may be Peter Clinch
wrote this:-

I'd never really believed the more extreme tales of hedge-clipping
apocalypse up until then,

The "best" one was perhaps Velo City some years ago when some of the
delegates and some locals rode between Glasgow and Edinburgh along
the canal.

British Waterways was asked not to cut anything in the four weeks
before the ride. However, they "helpfully" ignored this in favour of
cutting things a day or two before.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old October 29th 07, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

On Oct 29, 12:38 pm, Paul Boyd usenet.is.worse@plusnet wrote:
David Martin said the following on 29/10/2007 11:39:

I took the kids home by the flat route...

Sounds like you took them out by the "flat" route as well :-)

Yup. But it was nearly twice as far as they have ridden before. The
biggest hills were the flyovers over the A90.

...d

Old October 29th 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon[_2_]

"Paul Boyd" usenet.is.worse@plusnet wrote in message

I'm tentatively looking forward to testing my Specialized Nimbus
Armadillos to see how they cope. They'd better be good because I don't
want all that weight and rolling resistance for nothing!

My Armadillos didn't cope with hedge trimming in Shropshire. It's next to
impossible to give the operation a wide enough berth and avoid the thorns.
I suppose dismounting and pushing one's bike past the operation might
work....

Old October 29th 07, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roos Eisma

"vernon" writes:

My Armadillos didn't cope with hedge trimming in Shropshire. It's next to
impossible to give the operation a wide enough berth and avoid the thorns.
I suppose dismounting and pushing one's bike past the operation might
work....

Maybe 'carrying' instead of 'pushing' to be really sure?

One of the first cycle trips with ex-Mr stopped at a campsite with
recently cut hawthorn hedges between tents. A thorn went through the tent
floor and through his thermarest. A rather miserable cold wet holiday
followed...

Roos
Old October 29th 07, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Peter Clinch wrote:

David Martin wrote:

We rode past a tractor trimming a hedge. Our enthusiasm was rapidly
deflated along with many tyres forcing an impromptu pitstop to fix a
significant number.

Total number, including naughty delayed action jobs, came in at 10 for
the whole ride, thankfully neither of mine included. That's quite a
number for about a dozen total riders!

I'd never really believed the more extreme tales of hedge-clipping
apocalypse up until then, but it was a particularly thorough wipeout!
My first thought was "I'll be okay, I'm on Marathons", but then I
noticed "Schwalbe Marathon" on the outside of one of the tyres being
whipped off one of the afflicted bikes...

oh yes, will slice though tires quite easly given a chance, allways a
hazard in the lanes this time of year, with cars, let alone bikes.

Pete.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com