it's the little things.

Old September 9th 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default it's the little things.

first round of boxen appeared at my porch this afternoon from my holiday
ordering spree, including a box from McMaster-Carr. Got rid of the
kludgy quick release seatpost clamp (including several unattractive and
mismatched spacers) and after a little gentle reshaping with a large
screwdriver inserted a nice 6mm socket head cap screw. Trek saw fit to
make this nice little recess in the boss so it all looks clean and
finished when properly put together, why do people feel it necessary to
try to improve on elegant perfection?

Ahhh, that's better. You have no idea how much that bothered me.

Now if I just had the tools I ordered, I could start repacking bearings
and thinking about putting it all back together...

Oh, and good TiN coated taps - way better than Chinese junk. But you
knew that already.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 9th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sep 9, 9:59*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
first round of boxen appeared at my porch this afternoon from my holiday
ordering spree, including a box from McMaster-Carr. *Got rid of the
kludgy quick release seatpost clamp (including several unattractive and
mismatched spacers) and after a little gentle reshaping with a large
screwdriver inserted a nice 6mm socket head cap screw. *Trek saw fit to
make this nice little recess in the boss so it all looks clean and
finished when properly put together, why do people feel it necessary to
try to improve on elegant perfection?

Ahhh, that's better. *You have no idea how much that bothered me.

Damn right too. There's a price bracket of bikes -- and it probably
doesn't start all that high -- where you can expect decent comfort and
components, but which can be ruined by the small things. It's been
years since I had a bike with something major wrong with it but
exactly the same sort of detail that bothers you sends me up the wall;
nothing ruins a ride quicker than your eye falling on some kludgy or
just plain wrong OEM detail. God bless mailorder and the Internet! --
Andre Jute

Old September 9th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

That wasn't an OEM mishap, it was a previous owner's "bright idea."

I guess it allows one to remove the saddle when locking the bike up
outside, thus removing the risk of having the saddle stolen. I guess it
worked, seeing as the original seatpost is still present. Since same
is now likely worthless save for resto-weenies, I'm not real worried.

nate

Old September 10th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

Default Jute gets something right!!(was: it's the little things.)

On Sep 9, 5:34 pm, Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

There's a price bracket of bikes -- and it probably
doesn't start all that high -- where you can expect decent comfort and
components, but which can be ruined by the small things. It's been
years since I had a bike with something major wrong with it but
exactly the same sort of detail that bothers you sends me up the wall;
nothing ruins a ride quicker than your eye falling on some kludgy or
just plain wrong OEM detail. God bless mailorder and the Internet! --

[...]

"Even a stopped clock is right twice each day."

;-)

Old September 10th 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
On Sep 9, 5:34 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

There's a price bracket of bikes -- and it probably
doesn't start all that high -- where you can expect decent comfort and
components, but which can be ruined by the small things. It's been
years since I had a bike with something major wrong with it but
exactly the same sort of detail that bothers you sends me up the wall;
nothing ruins a ride quicker than your eye falling on some kludgy or
just plain wrong OEM detail. God bless mailorder and the Internet! --

[...]

"Even a stopped clock is right twice each day."

;-)

Jute also like Schwalbe Big Apple tires, so that is two things.

Of course, these posts could have been written by Mini-André the chimp.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old September 10th 09, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 16:59:17 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

Oh, and good TiN coated taps - way better than Chinese junk. But you knew
that already.

Didn't know you were a bike guy, too!

Old September 10th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote:
Didn't know you were a bike guy, too!

Welcome to r.b.t, 86!
I didn't know YOU were a cyclist!

you guys know each other? small e-world.

yeah, 86, I used to ride a little back in the day, and ended up
getting back into it a couple years ago when I moved to a more bike-
friendly area. Found that I could still do it and would much rather
ride a bike than anything else physical and good for you, plus it gets
you places so that's nice. Also you get to turn wrenches on stuff
which is cool too, and the parts are smaller, lighter and (sometimes)
less expensive than car parts. Now I'm starting to treat bikes like I
do cars... thought process when purchasing either goes something like
"hey, I *could* buy a crappy new one, or I could get this cool old
one, tear it down, and build it the way I want it" thereby ensuring
that there are tools and parts all over the place and at least one
bike and one car is disassembled at any given time

nate
Old September 10th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote:
Didn't know you were a bike guy, too!

Welcome to r.b.t, 86!
I didn't know YOU were a cyclist!

Well, it's been a LOT of years since I did it seriously!

Also, about 20 years of cigarettes! And about 70 lbs, too.

My favorite was a Ross Mt. Hood I bought in 1986 and rode 14 miles to work
every day, that is, after riding 12-20 miles a day before work. It got
stolen.

I found an identical bike with another name about 10 years ago. I rode it
for a couple years, and when I took it out of moth balls last year, uh...
it got stolen.

I *really* found an old Fuji Acadia road bike in back of a store (I mean,
in the WEEDS in back of a store) earlier this spring, then got busy. It
needs tires, tubes, and all the cable actuated parts were seized. I just
spiffed it up Monday. It seems to be a really good bike, just waiting for
the tires and tubes to get here.

I bought a Realm Contour hardly used a few weeks ago for $75, but it's 24"
and I'm a BIG guy.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...7828.271 6578

So, my singer sold me a Mongoose XR200 26" for $75. It's a better bike,
bigger anyway, and I got it tuned up OK. I'm putting the Continentals on
this since the knobbies SUCK. But I don't know if I have the right rims.

a LOT has changed in 24 years!!!

If anyone wants to buy a lightly used Realm Contour for $75...

Old September 10th 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:41:46 -0700, N8N wrote:

On Sep 10, 1:05Â*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Â*Nate Nagel wrote:
Oh, and good TiN coated taps - way better than Chinese junk. Â*But
you knew that already.

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote:
[...]

LOL! Zen and the art of bicycle repair!

Exactly! I was put off a little by the local bike store's prices for
tires, so I bought the small bike, then my singer offered me the bigger
one. The Mongoose needed a little TLC, and I got it running good, but the
Fuji is a MUCH better bicycle! And, requires more wrenching!

It's putting the Continental tires on the Mongoose that has me. I don't
thnk I have the correct wheels...

(And the right ones are as expensive as CAR wheels!!!)

Old September 11th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote:
[...]

flamebait sure you didn't mean Zinn? /flamebait

(actually, I have that book. Well, both of them. It's not bad (the
Zinn book) although I could have figured out most of the procedures
etc. myself, it is nice to have an "expert's" opinion on the proper
way to adjust certain things, which keeps me from posting here more
often than I do.)

Exactly! I was put off a little by the local bike store's prices for
tires, so I bought the small bike, then my singer offered me the bigger
one. The Mongoose needed a little TLC, and I got it running good, but the
Fuji is a MUCH better bicycle! And, requires more wrenching!

It's putting the Continental tires on the Mongoose that has me. I don't
thnk I have the correct wheels...

(And the right ones are as expensive as CAR wheels!!!)- Hide quoted text -

Forget correct... I'll go with "works." I have the "correct" front
wheel for my current project and I will probably never use it, I'm
thinking I will eventually just have some wheels made (or make them
myself) with Sun CR-18s and Shimano road hubs and be done with it. Or
perhaps a SON dynohub for the front for true go anywhere, any time
capability. Until then I have a pair of Deep-Vs with 105 hubs that
look completely schizophrenic on a classic lugged steel frame, but
they work, so I can ride. If someone thinks it's funny looking, well,
they're right

Now the only problem that I have is that I'm dead in the water until
my crank puller and old school BB lockring wrench shows up (I didn't
have them, LBS didn't have them for sale) I am thinking maybe I will
take the frame over to the LBS after work and have them pull the
cranks and loosen the BB so I can at least clean the frame and bearing
races over the weekend so I can start reassembly the second the tools
land on my porch.

nate

######THEY DO DIFFERENT THINGS TO GET IT############# [email protected] General 0 April 28th 08 08:09 AM
PER: Things getting done Beavers Australia 5 August 21st 06 07:54 AM
The things you see... Duncan Gray UK 5 August 20th 06 08:30 PM
Some things just ain't right SteveA Australia 10 October 27th 05 11:33 PM
Top Ten Things that LA should do next Veloise General 27 July 29th 05 08:47 AM