OT. Rec.bicycles.tech hijacked by Trolls? Usenet too?

Old August 9th 14, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brad Rogers

Default OT. Rec.bicycles.tech hijacked by Trolls? Usenet too?

On Saturday 09 Aug 2014 00:57 in message
,
Clive George wrote:

Set your killfile to kill crossposts to uk.re.cycling - that'll get rid
of most of the recent idiots.

(not sure there's any worthwhile content on there now at all)

I subbed about a week ago. I unsubbed yesterday. Despite having taken
several showers since, I still feel violated and unclean.

IOW, uk.rec.cycling is populated almost totally by spammers, trolls and
generally clueless arguing idiots.

No wonder uk.rec.cycling.moderated appeared.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old August 9th 14, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 14:44:49 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Just wondering if it's just rec.bicycles.tech that has been
recently taken over by trolls and/or spammers or if it's
happened to all of the Usenet groups?

Looks like you're posting and reading from Google Groups. Google
doesn't not have a functional spam filter and is also the source of
much spam. Since they can't really sell much advertising on Usenet,
Google is not really interested in maintaining it.

I'm reading on Supernews and I don't see much spam.

I suggest you get a decent news reader and Usenet news provider. For
a reader, I'm using Forte Agent.
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
One very useful feature is to have the reader block any messages
posted to 4 or more newsgroups. That's almost guaranteed to be spam
or spew. For a Usenet provider, I recently discovered:
http://www.news.astraweb.com
http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html
$10 for 25 GBytes is really cheap and might last the rest of my
life[1]. According to one user, their spam filtering is quite good.
However, I've been bizzee and haven't tried them yet.

[1] I only download headers and read only what I find interesting. If
your newsreader is set to download everything including article
bodies, 25 GBytes won't last very long.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 9th 14, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
I don't see any of the trolling. A newsreader with decent filtering works wonders.

and what of education and developing perspective ?

**** dat.
--
duane
Old August 9th 14, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Anyone know how to get news tap lite to filter on cross posts? Looks like
the nntp field only shows r.b.t. I can deal with it on a dickhead by
dickhead basis but there are a lot of dickheads lately.

--
duane
Old August 10th 14, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if it's just rec.bicycles.tech that has been recently
taken over by trolls and/or spammers or if it's happened to all of
the Usenet groups?

If you use a decent news server they do a good job of hosing off
spammers. But you have to pay for that. Not much though, mine is
news.individual.de in Berlin (Germany) and it costs me all of 10 Euros a
year. Almost no spam.

Before that when my ISP (AT&T) still had a news server I just filtered
out all posters with gmail domains and that took care of it.
Unfortunately this also weeds out some legit posters but I had no
choice. A client with white-lisitng features can help that but I am
using Thunderbird and it doesn't have that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 10th 14, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/10/2014 7:08 AM, Joerg wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if it's just rec.bicycles.tech that has been recently
taken over by trolls and/or spammers or if it's happened to all of
the Usenet groups?

If you use a decent news server they do a good job of hosing off
spammers. But you have to pay for that. Not much though, mine is
news.individual.de in Berlin (Germany) and it costs me all of 10 Euros a
year. Almost no spam.

Before that when my ISP (AT&T) still had a news server I just filtered
out all posters with gmail domains and that took care of it.
Unfortunately this also weeds out some legit posters but I had no
choice. A client with white-lisitng features can help that but I am
using Thunderbird and it doesn't have that.

Unless the problem posters change their identities, Thunderbird's
filters work pretty well. I probably only add one e-mail address per
week these days for rec.bicycles.tech.

Old August 10th 14, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I am currently subscribe to two dozen newsgroups. Even one per week
would quickly get old. After switching to a paid news server I was able
to simply turn off the filter and enjoy the ride.

Now if technology was so simple with bicycles ... had the big scare on
Thursday, rear wheel locked up solid on downhill portion of a trail
without me having touched the handle.

Old August 10th 14, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 11/08/14 02:41, Joerg wrote:

Now if technology was so simple with bicycles ... had the big scare on
Thursday, rear wheel locked up solid on downhill portion of a trail
without me having touched the handle.

How did that happen? Did your tail light break off and jam between the
frame and rear tyre?

--
JS
Old August 11th 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 4:40:47 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I don't see any of the trolling. A newsreader with decent filtering works wonders.

and what of education and developing perspective ?

right on!
Old August 11th 14, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

James wrote:
On 11/08/14 02:41, Joerg wrote:

Now if technology was so simple with bicycles ... had the big scare on
Thursday, rear wheel locked up solid on downhill portion of a trail
without me having touched the handle.

How did that happen? Did your tail light break off and jam between the
frame and rear tyre?

No, rock splinters might have triggered the event. Hard to say in
hindsight because I could only look after the bike had come to stop and
the impressive plume of dust had wafted off. What ended up jamming it
was that the outer pad slipped from its assigned workplace to between
caliper body and disc. Luckily this did not happen at the front wheel.

What would be really nice is to get a solid rotor like you can easily
buy for dirt bikes from companies such as Moose Racing. Never seen
anything like it for MTB. Plus a nice disc guard which is also easy to
buy for motorcycles but not for MTB. Beats me why not, I don't
understand why the bicycle industry is so far behind in that domain.