Cyclists are a Perverted Pestulance [Times Article 18/02]

Old February 20th 04, 08:59 AM
David Off

Default Cyclists are a Perverted Pestulance [Times Article 18/02]

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...005150,00.html
Old February 20th 04, 09:34 AM
Robert Bruce

mae wedi ysgrifennu:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...005150,00.html

Yawn. Nothing new here, though I did like

"A couple of weeks ago I received in the post a photograph of my car and a
£60 fine, because I had strayed unwittingly into a bus lane at 7pm. That was
nothing to the £320 I accrued in fines after mistakenly parking just outside
the residents' parking bay in my own street, then going on holiday for a
week."

To me this translates as "I drive without due care and attention and park
like a f**kwit." which is quite an admission for such an otherwise indignant
piece.

In other news: "the country's first dog camera has been installed at a cost
of £10,000 in a street blighted by crap." It's just a revenue raising
exercise, of course, to screw money out of otherwise law-abiding dog owners.

--
Rob

Old February 20th 04, 09:41 AM
Michael MacClancy

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:34:44 -0000, Robert Bruce wrote:

mae wedi ysgrifennu:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...005150,00.html

Yawn. Nothing new here, though I did like

"A couple of weeks ago I received in the post a photograph of my car and a
£60 fine, because I had strayed unwittingly into a bus lane at 7pm. That was
nothing to the £320 I accrued in fines after mistakenly parking just outside
the residents' parking bay in my own street, then going on holiday for a
week."

To me this translates as "I drive without due care and attention and park
like a f**kwit." which is quite an admission for such an otherwise indignant
piece.

My sentiment exactly although I couldn't find the words to express it.

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his
Old February 20th 04, 09:58 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Yawn. Nothing new here, though I did like

"A couple of weeks ago I received in the post a photograph of my car and a
£60 fine, because I had strayed unwittingly into a bus lane at 7pm. That was
nothing to the £320 I accrued in fines after mistakenly parking just outside
the residents' parking bay in my own street, then going on holiday for a
week."

To me this translates as "I drive without due care and attention and park
like a f**kwit." which is quite an admission for such an otherwise indignant
piece.

Indeed. In my letter to the Times in response (which I doubt will be
published)...

"Sirs

"Save us from the cycle of menace" Times 18:02:2004

The way Damian (name related to the devil - how apt) Whitworth rants about
cyclists, you'd think that it was cyclists responsible for the 3500 people
killed annually on UK roads and also for the tens of thousands more who are
injured each year, as stated in official figures. I do not condone the breaking
of the law by any road user, but I have news for Whitworth; it's not the
cyclists doing all the killing and injuring, it's the motorists. Whitworth
moans because he received a fine for not being alert enough whilst in control
of a significant mass of motorised metal on our roads. He strayed into a bus
lane. Wake up Whitworth; you were at fault, so stop blaming others for your own
lack of concentration. Be a man and accept your fine instead of moaning like a
toddler having a temper tantrum. The Times is so openly anti-cyclist these
days, articles that appear are more suited to the kind that appear in the
tabloids rather than the kind of balanced reporting that should be expected of
the broadsheets. But what the heck, never let the facts or the truth get in the
way of a good old journalistic rant producing drivel. Perhaps you should be
moving Whitworth over to the Sun newspaper as his talents seem to lie more in
that direction, rather than on the Times.

Yours faithfully"

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old February 20th 04, 11:16 AM
Eugenio Mastroviti

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:58:34 +0000, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
wrote:

Indeed. In my letter to the Times in response (which I doubt will be
published)...

Nor will be mine, I'm afraid...

-----------

Dear Sirs,

while I understand -or hope- that the moronic tones of Mr. Whitworth's
article ("Save us from the cycle menace", 18/02/2004) are little more than
a provocation, I would like to point out that an authoritative paper like
the Times could do much better than publish the opinionated drivel of a
self-admitted idiot motoraholic - one who can't even see whether he's
driving on the correct lane or parking in the right spot.

Apart from his very personal opinion that, since he dislikes cycling,
whoever uses a cycle must have some kind of mental problem, he simply
brings anecdotal evidence of the "fact" that cyclists are dangerous to
pedestrians. Any cyclist could bring far more detailed evidence of how
dangerous motorists are - and could someone ask him how many pedestrians
have been killed or injured in London by cyclists, and how many by
motorists?

Since you're at it, you could ask him for another article on the benefits
of passive smoking, and perhaps one on the undeniable scientific basis of
astrology. I'm sure he knows someone whose personal astrologist always
gets it right.

Eugenio Mastroviti

P.S. One can't help but wonder, if this person strayed "unwittingly" into
a well-visible bus lane, can we really be sure he won't stray
(unwittingly, of course) into a family of 5, or something like that? I
mean, Mr. Whitworth, if you live anywere near Finchley, please let me know
what model of car you "drive" - and I use the term in the loosest possible
way.

-------------

Eugenio
--
Q: How many right-to-lifers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two. One to screw it in and one to say that light started when the

Old February 20th 04, 11:23 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Nor will be mine, I'm afraid...

Pity, it's a good one :-)

What gets me about the original article is the fact the guy admits to being an
effectively p*sspoor driver who can't park properly and isn't aware of being in
a bus lane (like they are *so* narrow, *so* uncommon and *so* unmarked...),
gets fined and fumes over the supposed unfairness of being caught out being an
idiot and *possibly* a danger to others by having doing a "Please Miss, but
what those nasty people over there are doing is much worse than what I did! So
why did I have to be told off!" complete with a metaphoric stamping of feet and
pouting of lower lip.

If he acted like an adult & accepted that what he did was wrong and got on with
it without moaning about being caught, I may have has some respect for him -
people do make mistakes - as it is, I have none.

Old February 20th 04, 06:34 PM
David Off

wrote:

Indeed. In my letter to the Times in response (which I doubt will be
published)...

Nor will be mine, I'm afraid...

Good response.

These kind of articles may be very amusing for editors to commission...
like Kilroy's piece about Arabs and they all have a grain of truth in
them but they don't do anything for good relations between road users.
Instead drivers will think its alright to abuse cyclists even more than
they do already.

Old February 20th 04, 08:44 PM
PK

David Off wrote:

These kind of articles may be very amusing for editors to
commission... like Kilroy's piece about Arabs and they all have a
grain of truth in them but they don't do anything for good relations
between road users. Instead drivers will think its alright to abuse
cyclists even more than they do already.

the article, in case the red mist that came before your eyes obscured your
view of it, was primarily about the actions of a secetion of the cycling
community who DO put PEDESTRIANS at risk by their unreasonable behaviour.

Vent your spleen by all means, but 'tis best directed at the tw*ts on bikes
who I regularly come across as either pedestrian or cyclist.

pk

Old February 20th 04, 09:40 AM
MSeries

"£320 fine for ...... wearing professional cycling gear in a built-up area"

The writer needs introducing to the PSF, we already have our own self
regulating fashion police !

Articles such as this make me smile.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Old February 20th 04, 03:12 PM
Tony W

"Robert Bruce" wrote in
message ...
mae wedi ysgrifennu:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...005150,00.html

Yawn. Nothing new here, though I did like

"A couple of weeks ago I received in the post a photograph of my car and a
£60 fine, because I had strayed unwittingly into a bus lane at 7pm. That

was
nothing to the £320 I accrued in fines after mistakenly parking just

outside
the residents' parking bay in my own street, then going on holiday for a
week."

To me this translates as "I drive without due care and attention and park
like a f**kwit." which is quite an admission for such an otherwise

indignant
piece.

The writer is clearly stupid. Only a stupid person would be paying such a
high rate of Stupidity Tax :~)