Street Revolution: Death of Big Street?

Old June 5th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Street Revolution: Death of Big Street?

Sweet title eh? But anyway, I've been meaning to start this thread for a
while. What happened to big street? Like big old set jumps and rail
grinds. All street vids now seem to be flatland and flips. It's what
some of our top riders are showing now and I can understand how it
makes sense to model riding after them. I can also understand the
convenience of just messing around in your driveway vs. going to a
venue but it seems like I haven't seen anything big in a while (except
for Anthony's fakie 7 set 180, which was just ridiculous). I don't mind
flatland and flippy stuff, and in fact I like it but big street is
still my favorite. And I'm not saying there should just be big street
but a good balance. I haven't ridden a lot lately (school) but thats
how I ride, with a mix. Flatland/flip in the driveway then big stuff
when I go for a real ride. I'm just wondering on others' thoughts and
also if there is anyone out there still going big. Kevin, Mike,
Anthony, old Shaun, old Alex, where have you gone?

David

--
darchibald

' Album 481' (http://tinyurl.com/0) - My Gallery

'A small pay rise this week, and I decided to, er... what do you young
people say, er... pimp my ghetto uni, or something.' - Mikefule

'You guys aren't thinking this through. "Hey, where's your other" BANG'
- Brian McKenzie
darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

Old June 5th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

i hear ya man.

i have started getting into rails again. but stair sets... theres only
so much you can do, without messing up your cranks. and i like having
straight cranks for once.

maybe im getting soft in my old age, but at the moment, im just
expanding my array of tricks... and you cant do that down 8 stair sets.
give it time

--
tomsey

damn you, damn the brocholli and damn the wright brothers!
tomsey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7038

Old June 5th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

you'll see in a few months ... the evolution is coming..

--
cruisecontrol
cruisecontrol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10970

Old June 5th 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Funny, i was thinking about starting a similar thread.

I totally agree, what ever happened to handrails?

--
max_pfeifer

edsbelly wrote:
'I'm goin to ride down the street one day yelling and screaming 'oh dear
god, ive got half a bike stuck up my ass!!"

max_pfeifer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7644

Old June 5th 06, 08:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

going big is too easy i guess, riders can go more technical which shows
their skills (and takes more effort overall) and like Alex Toms says,
its cheaper too - not having to buy more replacement parts for your
uni.
Thats the problem with going Big all the time - in under 6 months i
have killed 2 kh seats (one completely and one just the strengthener
plate), 2 sets of metal pedals, 2 seat posts, one frame and my ankle.
Apart from upgrading to top of the line components (CF seatbase) theres
nothing you can do to stop breaking stuff. Still, i like to see people
go big and like going big too (gotta find a reasonably sized 11 set :P
)
can't say i have ever tried to grind a handrail, but give me a few
months and im sure i would have hurt myself doing those too :P

--
muzzle

sig.
muzzle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11458

Old June 5th 06, 08:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I think its just a phase we're going through, probably coming from flip
tricks and shaun johanesson and stuff. I think big is better and I do
alot of it. And if you're worried about breaking parts, just get
quality parts and they wont break. Yeah to me tech stuff is pretty
boring, Id rather see someone 360 a 7 set than trey- quadrouple flip
on flat.

--
president_luke
president_luke's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11036

Old June 5th 06, 10:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I'm still here!
I havn't ridden in a while due to my uni being completely wasted, and
the strengnth of my ankle being questionable. but i'm working on that.
my main goal for this summer is to go back and ride out the kink on the
big 16 rail.

I don't think hucker style street will ever die, to me it's much more
fun to watch, and ride. you just can't get the amazing adrenaline rush
from hopping around on flat ground as you can from floating down a
case. True, it's not for everyone, and it is hard on equipment, but
their will always be street riders out there who need the "fix".

--
onetrack

"People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
lines."
-Klaas Bil
onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

Old June 5th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

president_luke wrote:
Id rather see someone 360 a 7 set than trey- quadrouple flip on flat.

oh hell no,

superman hasnt started riding yet... but when he does. the first trick
im gonna ask him to show me isnt gonna be a 360 down a 7 set.

Old June 5th 06, 11:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

y noy stop the fuden and the fussin' and get down to some loven then big
street and tech suff kan have a child and kall it big tech or tech
street or dead street or something catchy

--
jake_amos

Mike_Foote wrote:
And Cleopatra. I'd F*** her. And maybe also the virgin mary. I'd F***
her to.

mawesome wrote:
Pffffffft, I just make mine out of left over wrapping paper and orphan
bones.

i am the eggman
add me
www.jakespants.blogspot.com
jake_amos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11587

Old June 5th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

big tech is hot dog!