What brand of tube handles high pressure best?

Old July 20th 15, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default What brand of tube handles high pressure best?

I had a sudden blowout with a CST (Chinese) tube when I inflate my Michelin Pro 4s to 110 lbs. I'm pretty sure my rims aren't abrading the tubes. This happens after the tube is a couple of months old. Any suggestions for tubes that can better handle high pressure? Thanks!
Old July 21st 15, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 3:55:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I had a sudden blowout with a CST (Chinese) tube when I inflate my Michelin Pro 4s to 110 lbs. I'm pretty sure my rims aren't abrading the tubes. This happens after the tube is a couple of months old. Any suggestions for tubes that can better handle high pressure? Thanks!

Are you sure you don't have a sidewall cut or some other problem?http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/blowouts.html What does the hole look like? If it's a big gaping hole, the tube is probably creeping out under the bead or through the sidewall.

If you really have a tube problem, try Michelin.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 21st 15, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/20/2015 6:55 PM, wrote:
I had a sudden blowout with a CST (Chinese) tube when I inflate my Michelin Pro 4s to 110 lbs. I'm pretty sure my rims aren't abrading the tubes. This happens after the tube is a couple of months old. Any suggestions for tubes that can better handle high pressure? Thanks!

A true blowout, i.e. with a big BANG, probably isn't the fault of the
tube. AFAIK, it happens only if the pressurized tube is somehow no
longer contained by the rim and tire. Most commonly, it happens when
tire's bead somehow slips off the rim.

See
http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/blowouts.html
and
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tube-failure.html

Your tire's beads may not have been properly seated all the way around.
You may have had the tube pinched between the bead and the rim,
preventing proper seating. There are other possibilities as well, but I
doubt the tube's quality is the problem.

Can you give more details about how and when it happens?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 21st 15, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/21/2015 8:55 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
:On 7/20/2015 5:55 PM, wrote:
: I had a sudden blowout with a CST (Chinese) tube when I inflate my Michelin Pro 4s to 110 lbs. I'm pretty sure my rims aren't abrading the tubes. This happens after the tube is a couple of months old. Any suggestions for tubes that can better handle high pressure? Thanks!
:

:Was the tube inadvertently caught under the edge of the
:tire? No tube could survive such a mounting error. Ditto for
:a misplaced or damaged rim liner.

:Or did the seam open? We like Michelin tubes which are both
:lighter and a more supple flexible material with virtually
:zero seam failures.

and better valve attachment.

All the tubes made in tawain and china are **** these days.

Not all but most anyway[1].

Last Sunday we aired a woman's brand new bike (purchased
elsewhere, sold with under half pressure) and before she
left one of the Schrader valves shot right out of the tube
at 85psi. The other needed only a small tug to pop out.

[1] At one ROC factory with which I have some experience,
besides the usual choices of material/latex content, there
are various levels of inspection, optional inflation
overnight before packing, talc etc are all separate billable
items which some importers buy and others do not.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 22nd 15, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

AMuzi wrote:
:On 7/21/2015 8:55 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
:
: All the tubes made in tawain and china are **** these days.
:

:Not all but most anyway[1].

:[1] At one ROC factory with which I have some experience,
:besides the usual choices of material/latex content, there
:are various levels of inspection, optional inflation
vernight before packing, talc etc are all separate billable
:items which some importers buy and others do not.

the problem is that if some importer paid for it this time, they may
not next time. Or they might for one size, and not another, or they
come from different plants, which have different levels of quality. I have
no way of knowing, and operating on the assumption that if it's made
in tawain or china it's crap is not likely to steer me wrong, since
decent tubes don't cost much more, and last forever.

--
sig 105

Old July 22nd 15, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 6:55:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I had a sudden blowout with a CST (Chinese) tube when I inflate my Michelin Pro 4s to 110 lbs. I'm pretty sure my rims aren't abrading the tubes. This happens after the tube is a couple of months old. Any suggestions for tubes that can better handle high pressure? Thanks!

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

more than one blowout is needed to conclude the tube is at fault unless off course the tube looks abnormal.

there's a nornal lotta projections into the tube space then unseen stuff like under the clincher lip

itsa complete tear down and clean. use a green scotch pot pad with thinner and gloves then wipe off with isopropyl.

need to LOOK at the surfaces under a strong light eg look at the nipple...each nipple...run finger around lip bottom....
Old July 22nd 15, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 8:42:29 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 6:55:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I had a sudden blowout with a CST (Chinese) tube when I inflate my Michelin Pro 4s to 110 lbs. I'm pretty sure my rims aren't abrading the tubes. This happens after the tube is a couple of months old. Any suggestions for tubes that can better handle high pressure? Thanks!

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

more than one blowout is needed to conclude the tube is at fault unless off course the tube looks abnormal.

there's a nornal lotta projections into the tube space then unseen stuff like under the clincher lip

itsa complete tear down and clean. use a green scotch pot pad with thinner and gloves then wipe off with isopropyl.

need to LOOK at the surfaces under a strong light eg look at the nipple....each nipple...run finger around lip bottom....

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

despite carrying rear rack loads of 70-80 pounds (weighed) at hi down wind speeds over smooth pave...never had a tube blowout at 100 pounds rear tire pressure...except for flaws in rim and tire sidewall.

reason is tube is well braced by tire and rim.

Specialized thornproof and thorn/slime tubes best with Panaracer Messengers....best of the haulers at 2001-2005...