Cyclists are a Perverted Pestulance [Times Article 18/02]

Old February 21st 04, 02:20 AM
Graeme

Default Cyclists are a Perverted Pestulance [Times Article 18/02]

"Tony Raven" wrote in
:

I've been thinking about that Guy and assume you must rarely drive
above 20mph after dark based on the average throw of a dipped car
headlight. Is this true?

In a built up area where there are other lights and you're more likely to
meet other vehicles? You could quite happily drive around without lights
and see just as far as you could with them. Being seen without lights is
another matter though and I'm not suggesting this as good practice at all.

Graeme
Old February 21st 04, 09:42 AM
Tony Raven

Graeme wrote:
"Tony Raven" wrote in
:

I've been thinking about that Guy and assume you must rarely drive
above 20mph after dark based on the average throw of a dipped car
headlight. Is this true?

In a built up area where there are other lights and you're more likely to
meet other vehicles? You could quite happily drive around without lights
and see just as far as you could with them. Being seen without lights is
another matter though and I'm not suggesting this as good practice at all.

But on unlit roads?

Tony

Old February 21st 04, 10:42 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:44:52 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote in message
:

the article, in case the red mist that came before your eyes obscured your
view of it, was primarily about the actions of a secetion of the cycling
community who DO put PEDESTRIANS at risk by their unreasonable behaviour.

And there was I thinking it was about a careless driver trying to
divert attention from his own offences by reference to someone else's.

Vent your spleen by all means, but 'tis best directed at the tw*ts on bikes
who I regularly come across as either pedestrian or cyclist.

Hmmm. You do know, don't you, that you are about two hundred times
more likely to be killed by a motor driver on the pavement than a
cyclist?

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Old February 21st 04, 10:45 AM
David Hansen

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 01:00:18 -0000 someone who may be "Patrick"
wrote this:-

There are good and bad cyclists, and good and bad drivers - it's just that
the bad driver make more of a mess....

Bad drivers kill and injure more pedestrians than bad cyclists.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old February 21st 04, 10:45 AM
David Hansen

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:53:50 -0000 someone who may be "Thomas Buck"
La de la de la wrote this:-

immigrants.

Why limit yourself to illegal ones?

Hehehe, it's always a fun argument to have in the pub: "What do you mean
you're an immigrant with that posh an accent?"

Agreed. Sometimes people rant about "foreigners" coming to this
country, in the mistaken impression that being "white" means I was
born here. These idiots have difficulty in grasping that most people
of Asian, Caribbean and African extraction were born here and are
far more British than I am.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old February 21st 04, 10:51 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:49:10 -0000, "Tony Raven"
wrote in message
:

These are the reasons why one should drive drive so one can stop "well
within the distance you can see to be clear" (Highway Code).

I've been thinking about that Guy and assume you must rarely drive above 20mph
after dark based on the average throw of a dipped car headlight. Is this
true?

On dips, about 45mph according to my calculations - and no, I don't go
faster than that on dips on unlit roads (and often slower). I think
I'm OK because I managed to check the mirrors and stop in time when a
badger crossed the other day.

On street-lit roads you can see further of course.

I am reminded of the letter my father received from the insurers of
one P Chidzhey, the side of whose Cortina made some interesting
modifications to the front of our old Mini van when I were a lad. It
contained the above quote form the HC. Aged P wrote back saying that
he was well aware of this section, being a member of RoSPA and the
City Road Safety Committee, but he was pretty confident that it was
not referring to situations where the other vehicle was in a different
lane and lost control while trying to overtake on the inside on a
sharp bend on a wet road, especially where the above vehicle having
run off the road then achieved some traction and crossed all the
carriageways at speed before coming to rest against the crash barrier,
blocking one carriageway, to the detriment of its front end... A
cheque was forthcoming.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Old February 21st 04, 11:16 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:45:01 +0000, David Hansen
wrote in message
:

Sometimes people rant about "foreigners" coming to this
country

I think we should repatriate Michael Howard's family
retrospectively...

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Old February 21st 04, 11:16 AM
Tony Raven

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

On dips, about 45mph according to my calculations - and no, I don't go
faster than that on dips on unlit roads (and often slower). I think
I'm OK because I managed to check the mirrors and stop in time when a
badger crossed the other day.

At 45mph that's about 50m or 11 car lengths stopping distance according to the
Highway Code. I reckon my dipped beams and those of most of the cars I've
looked at are about a third of that, although theoretically up to 50m could be
allowable for a Volvo under the RVLR 1989. Must be the weight of all those
bikes in the back of the Volvo that gives you a 50m dipped beam ;-)

Tony

Old February 21st 04, 11:27 AM
Tony Raven

wrote in message
:

Sometimes people rant about "foreigners" coming to this
country

I think we should repatriate Michael Howard's family
retrospectively...

Why his family and not him? What did they do to deserve deportation - we
can't choose our relatives (spouse and their family apart) ;-)

Tony

Old February 21st 04, 11:34 AM
Graeme

"Tony Raven" wrote in news:c175to$1f660f$1@ID-
178940.news.uni-berlin.de:

But on unlit roads?

On unlit roads, you can often see further without lights (depending on the
weather). With lights you can usually see only what is within the cone of
light with maybe a little more outside this if it emits it's own light or
is lit by some other source. I don't know what it is like now, but about 15
years ago in China most motorised traffic drove around with only side
lights on at night so that cyclists could see them coming some way off
without being dazzled. They apparently managed quite well. What it is like
now I don't know, given all the reports of the cycle to motorised vehicle
ratio being almost totally reversed in some areas.

But yes, as we're expected to drive around with lights on, unless something
else has another light source, you're right about only really being able to
see within the cone of light.

NOw, I'm off to do some more work on my DIY 2x20W halogen bike lights :-

Graeme