Cyclists are a Perverted Pestulance [Times Article 18/02]

Old February 21st 04, 02:00 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Cyclists are a Perverted Pestulance [Times Article 18/02]

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:16:58 -0000, "Tony Raven"
wrote in message
:

At 45mph that's about 50m or 11 car lengths stopping distance according to the
Highway Code. I reckon my dipped beams and those of most of the cars I've
looked at are about a third of that

Hmmm. A valid point. I will go out and check - I have to say that
the headlights of Volvos seem to be better than most, but you may be
right.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Old February 21st 04, 02:05 PM
Graeme

"Tony Raven" wrote in
:

At 45mph that's about 50m or 11 car lengths stopping distance
according to the Highway Code. I reckon my dipped beams and those of
most of the cars I've looked at are about a third of that

Is that a third as measured at ground level? Because of the shape of the
beam as soon as you get above ground level the distance increases
considerably. The optimum will be roughly the height of the lights
themselves. Even the height of a fwuffy wittle bunnikins will add a metre
or two to the distance (so you have more time to get them right between the
eyes). ;o)

Graeme
Old February 21st 04, 02:46 PM
Tony Raven

Graeme wrote:

Is that a third as measured at ground level? Because of the shape of the
beam as soon as you get above ground level the distance increases
considerably. The optimum will be roughly the height of the lights
themselves. Even the height of a fwuffy wittle bunnikins will add a metre
or two to the distance (so you have more time to get them right between the
eyes). ;o)

No it doesn't. The light travels from the headlamp down to the road and the
rays with the lowest downward slope hit the ground at the furtherst distance
from the car and is the headlamp cut off. It doesn't matter how tall your
bunny is beyond that cut off, the lights hit the ground before it gets near
him. The RVLR 1989 even specify the mimimum downward angle.

Tony

Old February 21st 04, 03:22 PM
Vincent Wilcox

W K wrote:

Its also stirring up and legitimising londoner's antipathy to each other.

Having just got back from south london I would say it was legitimate,
what a ****e hole.

Old February 22nd 04, 12:01 AM
Simian

Tony Raven wrote:
Graeme wrote:

Is that a third as measured at ground level? Because of the shape of the
beam as soon as you get above ground level the distance increases
considerably. The optimum will be roughly the height of the lights
themselves. Even the height of a fwuffy wittle bunnikins will add a metre
or two to the distance (so you have more time to get them right between the
eyes). ;o)

No it doesn't. The light travels from the headlamp down to the road and the
rays with the lowest downward slope hit the ground at the furtherst distance
from the car and is the headlamp cut off. It doesn't matter how tall your
bunny is beyond that cut off, the lights hit the ground before it gets near
him. The RVLR 1989 even specify the mimimum downward angle.

There's always some spill over, cat-eyes light up well beyond where the beam
ends on the road - maybe badger stripes do too. The alternatives being badly
adjusted headlights, wildly optimistic speedo, mistaken application of full
beam, senility...

Old February 23rd 04, 11:09 AM
Colin Blackburn

On 20 Feb 2004 00:59:46 -0800, David Off wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...005150,00.html

From whiich I like this line:

"As a pedestrian I have never been hit by a car. But in recent weeks I
have escaped a collision with numerous demented cyclists only because of
my own evasive action."

Which could so easily be re-written as:

"As a pedestrian I have never been hit by either a car or a bicyle."

Colin
Old February 23rd 04, 01:58 PM
Alan Braggins

In article , Tony Raven wrote:
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

These are the reasons why one should drive drive so one can stop "well
within the distance you can see to be clear" (Highway Code).

I've been thinking about that Guy and assume you must rarely drive above 20mph
after dark based on the average throw of a dipped car headlight. Is this
true?

Often either other cars' lights contribute to what you can see or you can
use full beam.
Old February 23rd 04, 10:54 PM
David Hansen

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:09:55 -0000 someone who may be Colin
Blackburn wrote this:-

"As a pedestrian I have never been hit by a car. But in recent weeks I
have escaped a collision with numerous demented cyclists only because of
my own evasive action."

Which could so easily be re-written as:

"As a pedestrian I have never been hit by either a car or a bicyle."

Indeed.

If the article wants personal anecdotes then as a pedestrian I have
never been hit by a bicycle. I have been hit by cars on two
occasions though.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old February 24th 04, 08:07 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:54:40 +0000, David Hansen
wrote in message
:

If the article wants personal anecdotes then as a pedestrian I have
never been hit by a bicycle. I have been hit by cars on two
occasions though.

As a pedestrian I have never been hit by either. As a cyclist I have
been hit by three car drivers, one of whom came nearer to killing me
than I hope anyone will ever get again. I have also been run off the
road by a car driver.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Old February 24th 04, 08:51 PM
PK

wrote in message
:

If the article wants personal anecdotes then as a pedestrian I have
never been hit by a bicycle. I have been hit by cars on two
occasions though.

As a pedestrian I have never been hit by either. As a cyclist I have
been hit by three car drivers, one of whom came nearer to killing me
than I hope anyone will ever get again. I have also been run off the
road by a car driver.

I've never been hit by car or cycle, but have twice in recent months had to
take evasive action while on a pavement to avoid being hit by a cyclist.

pk