26 x3 vs 29-er

Old September 9th 04, 01:59 AM
onewheeldave

Default 26 x3 vs 29-er

Unlikely I know, but has anyone had experience with both these?

If so, how does a 26 x3 compare to a 29-er.

I'm asking as the effective diameter must be pretty close to that of a
29.

The 26 x 3 would have the advantage of a stronger rim, and probably the
disadvantage of a very heavy wheel/tyre.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Old September 9th 04, 02:09 AM
onewheeldave

I should have mentioned that if you're replying to this please bear
crank length in mind- obviously a 29-er with 125's will feel
considerably different to a 26 x 3 with 170's.

Hopefully some of you will have used 150's on both as that would
probably be the length I'd go for.

And type of riding would be typical 29-er stuff- distance on roads and
cross country mild muni.

Old September 9th 04, 03:01 AM
gbarnes

I have both of the setups you described. I've ridden them both with
170s and with 150s (well, 145 Profiles).

They're totally different animals. The 26" feels like a fast 24x3",
while the 29er is certainly more nimble but unforgiving.

If the trail is rough, I'd prefer the 26". If the trail is smoother,
I'd probably go for the 29er.

The 26" rides down stairs like a magic carpet, while the niner is more
of a bone shaker.

--
gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

Old September 9th 04, 04:12 AM
muddycycle

I have them both and find that I almost never ride the 29er anymore. I
also have a Coker and except for long steep hill climbing it almost
completely fills the 29er niche. The problem I found is I get so use to
just bombing over roots and rock on the 26 X 3 and 36 x2.1/4 that when I
switch to the 29er I find myself on the ground the first root out. The
29er is light graceful and elegant I just don't have enough time to ride
it anymore.

--
muddycycle - Nonchalance

"What can possiby mystify a madman?"
Hegira: Greg Bear
muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

Old September 9th 04, 11:40 AM
joemarshall

I've got a 26x2.6 gazz. It's significantly smaller than the big apple,
slightly smaller than the 29" notos and not that much smaller than the
3" gazz. If you want to ride fast on a 26 but still do difficult
offroad riding, I'd get the 2.6 gazz, it's that bit lighter, but still a
really really super tyre for technical riding.

As for how it compares to a 29" offroad tyre, I'd say there's not much
in it, the main difference is that it's a lot more of an agressive tyre
than the notos 29 that I have.

I certainly hit higher speeds on my 29er, but I think that's mainly
explained by the shorter cranks (150vs125) and smoother tyre.

If I was wanting to ride a 26" really fast, for cross country muni with
lots of roads in between, I'd get a less agressive tyre than the gazz,
it wears down quickly on the road. Maybe a 26x2.1 or so would be
better.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old September 9th 04, 07:30 PM
johnfoss

Nobody mentioned weight. That's the difference. Also you didn't mention
what tire on the 29", so there's a little leeway there. I have a
nanoraptor. It's great for cruising trails, but less great as the trail
gets bumpy and techincal. If the trail is seriously technical, you start
getting to the point where you may damage that lighter 29" wheel.

I will have my 29" Nanoraptor and 24 x 3" Gazz available for MUni
Weekend. I may try the 29" for the Tahoe Rim Trail. though I'll have a
little less fun on the technical parts, I'll cover the long downhill at
the end much more easily.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

Old September 9th 04, 08:12 PM
jagur

johnfoss wrote:
*Nobody mentioned weight. That's the difference. *

huh?

onewheeldave did in the opening post.

--
jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

-Forget_Your_Life-

Old September 13th 04, 01:22 AM
groparen

Hi, this is a question that can fit in this thread, so let's go with it.

I have a 24 inches "standard" unicycle and would like a taller wheel to
cover more ground. Because I want to go on trail too, I was thinking
about a 26 inches wheel with a three inches tire (26-3). I understand
that this wheel would be wider, "knobbier" and heavier than a 29-er,
does it mean that it would "feel" heavier when on the road (speed,
turning, etc)? I want a lively ride.

Eventually, if the passion about unicycle keeps going, I guess I'll be
dreaming about a coker.

--
groparen
groparen's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6810