Torque on crank bolts?

Old November 30th 04, 02:15 PM
steve0we

Default Torque on crank bolts?

I bought a "Yuni 24-inch MUni", and am having problems with the crank
arms moving. Anyone know what FT LBS. I should torque these babies to?
I heard 80 LBS was about right....... Yes, I also understand doing big
drops as a 205LB. guy isnt the best thing....

Thanks!

--
steve0we - Just removed training wheel!

This is Wheelie Wheelie FUN!
steve0we's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8643

Old November 30th 04, 02:55 PM
brian.slater

U-Turn advocates 40 ft/lbs.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old November 30th 04, 03:14 PM
Brian MacKenzie

Shoot for 40 but feel free to err on the side of too tight.

I tested a suzue hub to failure around 90 (the threads stripped off
then.

'Here' (http://tinyurl.com/4uhv4) is a link to that thread

--
Brian MacKenzie - LAN Solo

Forthcoming DVD
TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED:
'8mb Trailer' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/TWNR_Trailer1.wmv)

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
*112* reviews on *75* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old November 30th 04, 04:02 PM
john_childs

Try a little bit of grease on the tapers (the flat areas) and use some
red Loctite threadlocker on the on the nut. Then tighten to 40
foot-pounds. You should be good. The Loctite will keep the nut from
working loose. As long as the nut stays tight the crank should stay
tight. That's the reason for the Loctite.

If you continue to have problems then you may have a damaged taper
either on the crank or the hub.

Are you using steel or aluminum cranks?

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old November 30th 04, 04:44 PM
unidad

my kh hub/axle interface was loose. i could tell because the cranks dd
not move independent of each other, but would move together when bolted
down hard. Me and ObieOne fixed it, and so far it seems to be holding up
like new! After a lot of thinking, some throwing, twisting, hammering,
fumbling, and drinking of mountain dew, came up with the idea and way to
take the axle out of the hub (without destroying everything). he used a
block of wood and a hammer to knock out the axle, then hammered it back
in in a different position. Everything is solid, and once again problems
are solved at 3 am with a lot of soda and hammering.

Swing by after work and we'll give it a shot. Then go ride!

--
unidad

Just discovered this new adventure!
unidad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8151

Old December 1st 04, 02:35 AM
steve0we

Thanks for the info, Im new at this forum, post, ride on one wheel
thing! I will let you guys know how it rides this weekend at our Muni
ride!

Easton EA70 stem AC Techniques 10 November 17th 04 07:00 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Crank Torque Settings Matt.P.Herbert Unicycling 3 February 16th 04 06:48 PM