tire width, rim width, and pressure

Old May 16th 09, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

Default tire width, rim width, and pressure

I've got a 32mm tire on a rim that's a bit too narrow for it, as I
found when the bead lifted off and the tube blew out, shortly after
riding through a sharp curve downhill with a camping load on the bike.

Funny enough, the blowoff didn't happen in the turn, but about 100
yards after.

My question is, is such a blowoff more likely with higher or lower
pressures?

On the one hand, seems like because wide tires aren't 'hooked' in as
well where the tire bead meets the rim hook at an awkward angle, a
higher pressure might make it more likely to blow.

On the other hand, seems like a lower pressure would allow the tire to
squirm around more, esp. when side loaded, and might let the bead walk
off and blow.

I pumped to a somewhat lower pressure after replacing the tube, but
didn't encounter any more such turns, so I wonder if that was the
right move.

-pm
Old May 16th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 15, 9:13*pm, pm wrote:
[...]

I'd venture that the tire simply wasn't seated. You should be able to
safely run 32mm tires on virtually any rim short of wide downhill
models. I mean--xcrossers run 35mm knobbies on skinny rims all the
time.
Old May 16th 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Fri, 15 May 2009 18:18:22 -0700 (PDT), landotter wrote:

On May 15, 9:13*pm, pm wrote:
[...]

I'll agree, 32 isn't too wide for any of the more normal clincher rims. But then
my experience is with relatively low pressure, like 50-60 pounds at most and
much less for 'cross or off road.
Old May 16th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

pm wrote:
[...]

If you habitually spin the wheel at eye level during
mounting (at half pressure and again at full pressure)
before installing it in your bicycle, you'll avoid the
overwhelming bulk of 'mystery' blowoffs.

Note each tire has a molded line just above the braking
surface. That molded line must be even and visible all the
way around. Where it disappears, the tire is below its
proper seat and hence can, and likely will, lift over the
top somewhere else. At an inconvenient time (c.f. 'Murphy')

Moreover, 'mystery' tire casing tear failures are frequently
attributable to brake shoe cuts just at the rim edge. These
torn areas will be visible before they are fatal. Noting
that damage early allows you to replace the tire and
properly adjust brake pad height at your convenience, rather
that just past the middle of nowhere. In the rain.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 17th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On May 16, 7:56*pm, AMuzi wrote:

torn areas will be visible before they are fatal. Noting
that damage early allows you to replace the tire and
properly adjust brake pad height at your convenience, rather
that just past the middle of nowhere. In the rain.

When in the phone you carry on the bike to call a taxi on days like
this the battery has run out of charge. -- Andre Jute
Old May 17th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 16 May, 05:13, wrote:
someone wrote:

Funny enough, the blow-off didn't happen in the turn, but about 100
yards after.

You probably had a combination heating and loading blowout, typical
for descents using a lot of braking because there are many curves that
do not allow higher speed that would more quickly cool the rim.

Nor do they correct a flexxy wheel.

Because pressure is a large part of blow-off, higher pressure is not a
protection against it.

Increasing a wheels rigidity reduces blow-off.

Not to worry, it squirms enough either way. *I just blew a 25mm tire
"Continental Gatorskin" off an MA-2 on a steep trail, causing a 10"
rip in the tube. *It was loud! *I put a spare tube in and continued
with more care to not overheat rims. *

After all these years, you should realise that the heating is only
partially the answer. The main reason your tyres blow off is because
they lack sufficient rigidity for you and your riding style. Buy a
pair of well built wheels whoose tyres do not blow off.

someone.
Old May 17th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Tom_Sherman" wrote in message
??? wrote:
On 16 May, 05:13, wrote:

[...]