Cycle carrier

Old September 27th 03, 10:38 PM
Graeme

Default Cycle carrier

Hi

I'm looking for a 4 bike carrier and have seen some which bolt onto a
tow-bar. This would appear to be the most sturdy solution, and they allow
the car boot/trunk (saloon) to be opened. I have found (via a little
Googling) two which seem to fit my requirements (in the UK). These are;
http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/...dtowbarf64.htm , and
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/PNBMTB-PNTAr.html
Has anyone experience of either of these, or about the particular
manufacturers, or indeed, any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Old September 28th 03, 01:52 AM
Ellen G

hi Graeme,
are you Graeme from ZP? just wondering.....

anyhow, I have the Hollywood rack. Bought it about 5 years ago and
still going strong. It went into the trailer hitch on the minivan and
now goes into the hitch on the SUV. Holds 4 bikes, you just have to
stagger the positioning of all the pedals. We had a little bit of rust
after a few years but my husband just sanded it and repainted. It works
and looks as good as new. I've definately gotten my money's worth out
of it.

Ellen

Old September 28th 03, 08:54 AM
Graeme

Thanks for the reply Ellen.
Sorry, I'm not the G from ZP (what's ZP?).
Are there two versions of this, one that attaches to the ball, and another
that bolts on (two bolts)? Do you know if there is a quick release for the
'bolt on' version?

Old September 28th 03, 01:50 PM
Ellen G

Graeme wrote:
Are there two versions of this, one that attaches to the ball, and another
that bolts on (two bolts)? Do you know if there is a quick release for the
'bolt on' version?

I have no idea if there are other versions available. Both of our
hitches are receiver hitches and it just slides right in, secured with a
large bolt. Doesn't the ball do the same thing? Maybe it has to come
off to put the bike rack on?
Ellen

Old September 28th 03, 04:51 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Graeme" wrote in message
Hi

I'm looking for a 4 bike carrier and have seen some which bolt onto a
tow-bar. This would appear to be the most sturdy solution, and they allow
the car boot/trunk (saloon) to be opened. I have found (via a little
Googling) two which seem to fit my requirements (in the UK). These are;
http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/...dtowbarf64.htm , and
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/PNBMTB-PNTAr.html
Has anyone experience of either of these, or about the particular
manufacturers, or indeed, any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Apparently the UK and the US are quite different in terms of tow bars.
The UK seems to use two bolts to bolt on a flat tow bar bracket, but this
is unknown in the U.S. where we use the 1.25" or 2" square receiver, or
a tow ball.

Anyway, try to go with Thule, rather than Hollywood, if possible.

Old September 28th 03, 05:36 PM
Graeme

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Graeme" wrote in message
Hi

I'm looking for a 4 bike carrier and have seen some which bolt onto a
tow-bar. This would appear to be the most sturdy solution, and they

allow
the car boot/trunk (saloon) to be opened. I have found (via a little
Googling) two which seem to fit my requirements (in the UK). These are;
http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/...dtowbarf64.htm , and
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/PNBMTB-PNTAr.html
Has anyone experience of either of these, or about the particular
manufacturers, or indeed, any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Apparently the UK and the US are quite different in terms of tow bars.
The UK seems to use two bolts to bolt on a flat tow bar bracket, but this
is unknown in the U.S. where we use the 1.25" or 2" square receiver, or
a tow ball.

So it would seem.

Anyway, try to go with Thule, rather than Hollywood, if possible.

I've got Thule roof bars + box, but at first glance, they don't seem to
offer what I'm looking for in a bike carrier (and they're expensive).

Old September 28th 03, 06:26 PM
Ellen G

Graeme wrote:

I've got Thule roof bars + box, but at first glance, they don't seem to
offer what I'm looking for in a bike carrier (and they're expensive).

way more bang for the buck with the Hollywood.
Ellen

Old September 28th 03, 06:32 PM
Graeme

"Ellen G" wrote in message

Graeme wrote:

I've got Thule roof bars + box, but at first glance, they don't seem to
offer what I'm looking for in a bike carrier (and they're expensive).

way more bang for the buck with the Hollywood.
Ellen

I'd have to agree.
Thanks for all of the replies.