Celebrating manoeuvrability

Old June 9th 05, 11:08 PM
Epetruk

Default Celebrating manoeuvrability

One of the things I like about riding a bike is that you only have to worry
about moving two parts of your body: 1 - your legs when turning the pedals;
2 - your arms when steering the bike. (There's a possible third - your arms
when yanking the handlebars up to perform a pavement hop, but let's leave
that for now).

Movement 1 makes the bike go faster/slower, and is obviously the more
celebrated movement. For example, you have sporting events where the winner
is the person that goes farthest or fastest. Perhaps this is typically
because this is how achievement is measured in most other sporting
endeavours - I don't know.

However, I feel somewhat sad that movement 2 (which makes the bike go left
or right) doesn't seem to be celebrated with the same intensity. It's
somewhat ironic, especially because it is this movement that gives the bike
its manoeuvrability which enables it to be a much quicker form of transport
in an urban setting than the car.

Specifically, I'm not aware of any sporting event where skill in manoeuvring
a bike between randomly placed obstacles is tested. I know I would like to
watch such an event - I'd find it much more varied and interesting that the
Tour of X (where all I get to see almost throughout the race is a few
cyclists out in front chased by a peloton).

Anyway, I just thought I'd raise a cheer for all those great unsung
manoeuvrers (god, that word is difficult to spell!) out there who entertain
me by smoothly and skillfully merging with and weaving in and out of traffic
(in a non-suicidal way, of course!).

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

Old June 9th 05, 11:13 PM
Martin Dann

In message
"Epetruk" wrote:

One of the things I like about riding a bike is that you only have to worry
about moving two parts of your body: 1 - your legs when turning the pedals;
2 - your arms when steering the bike. (There's a possible third - your arms
when yanking the handlebars up to perform a pavement hop, but let's leave
that for now).

4) Head/eyes to look about.

5) Main part of body when balancing.

6) Arms to signal.

7) Cardiovascular system to provide oxygen to muscles.

8) Fingers to brake, sound horn, change gears etc.

However, I feel somewhat sad that movement 2 (which makes the bike go left
or right) doesn't seem to be celebrated with the same intensity. It's
somewhat ironic, especially because it is this movement that gives the bike
its manoeuvrability which enables it to be a much quicker form of transport
in an urban setting than the car.

Much of mountin bike racing uses 2 and five.

I do see your point about an event just based upon manovering, however
it would be a wuss sport, judged with a point system like ice skate
dancing or much gymnastics.

Martin.

--
Typed by monkey #27662472869676 on typewriter #7552416572242
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.
Old June 9th 05, 11:17 PM
vernon levy

Specifically, I'm not aware of any sporting event where skill in

manoeuvring
a bike between randomly placed obstacles is tested. I know I would like to
watch such an event - I'd find it much more varied and interesting that

the
Tour of X (where all I get to see almost throughout the race is a few
cyclists out in front chased by a peloton).

There are events that test the manoeuvrability of bikes and the athleticism
of their riders. They are acalled trials.

have a gander at

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/?se...ch=bike-trials

or

http://www.observedtrials.net/
]
I've seen teenagers do amazing things with their bikes heere in Leeds and
some of their unplanned dismounts have made my eyes water. I am not envious
of their skills but I am in awe of them.

Old June 9th 05, 11:44 PM
Pete Biggs

Epetruk wrote:
One of the things I like about riding a bike is that you only have to
worry about moving two parts of your body: 1 - your legs when turning
the pedals; 2 - your arms when steering the bike. (There's a possible
third - your arms when yanking the handlebars up to perform a
pavement hop, but let's leave that for now).

Arms also for stiffening the body and counteracting pedaling force to aid
acceleration.

[...]

Wild trees are randomly placed; downhill mountain bikers manoeuvre around
them at high speed. BMX stunt riders manoeuvre their bikes forwards,
backwards, upwards, downwards and inside-outwards all at the same time :-)
That's skillful enough, innit?

Anyway, I just thought I'd raise a cheer for all those great unsung
manoeuvrers (god, that word is difficult to spell!)

I blame the French.

out there who
entertain me by smoothly and skillfully merging with and weaving in
and out of traffic (in a non-suicidal way, of course!).

Couriers do that... well, in a semi-suicidal way.

~PB

Old June 10th 05, 01:09 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Epetruk
') wrote:

Specifically, I'm not aware of any sporting event where skill in
manoeuvring a bike between randomly placed obstacles is tested.

Cross country.
URL:http://www.sxc.org.uk/
URL:http://www.sxc.org.uk/2005_photos/20053/main/20053_249.jpg
URL:http://www.sxc.org.uk/2005_photos/20053/main/20053_142.jpg
URL:http://www.sxc.org.uk/2005_photos/20052/main/20052_150.jpg
URL:http://www.sxc.org.uk/2005_photos/20053/main/20053_101.jpg

(Yes, that _is_ a singlespeed Rik's riding in the last of those
pictures. Yes, he _is_ mad. But gloriously mad.)

;; how did we conclude that a ****ing cartoon mouse is deserving
;; of 90+ years of protection, but a cure for cancer, only 14?
-- user 'Tackhead', in /. discussion of copyright law, 22/05/02
Old June 10th 05, 07:36 AM
Paul - xxx

Epetruk came up with the following;:
[...]

I disagree.

I use every bit of my body when cycling, especially off-road racing.

I know this 'cos every blooody bit aches for a few days after a real good
session .. What's really worrying is that the 'few days' used to be only a
few hours ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old June 10th 05, 12:08 PM
dkahn400

Martin Dann wrote:

I do see your point about an event just based upon manovering, however
it would be a wuss sport, judged with a point system like ice skate
dancing or much gymnastics.

No, Vernon is right. There is nothing remotely wussy about trials
riding.

--
Dave...

Old June 10th 05, 07:58 PM
the.Mark

Martin Dann wrote:
In message
"Epetruk" wrote:

One of the things I like about riding a bike is that you only
have to worry about moving two parts of your body: 1 - your
legs when turning the pedals; 2 - your arms when steering the
bike. (There's a possible third - your arms when yanking the
handlebars up to perform a pavement hop, but let's leave that
for now).

4) Head/eyes to look about.

5) Main part of body when balancing.

6) Arms to signal.

7) Cardiovascular system to provide oxygen to muscles.

8) Fingers to brake, sound horn, change gears etc.

9) Mouth to shout at numpties.
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.