Do I really have to wear a helmet while cycling in Victoria?

Old November 18th 06, 06:24 PM posted to aus.bicycle
raisethe

Default Do I really have to wear a helmet while cycling in Victoria?

I cycle in the UK and don't wear a helmet because I do not want too. On
my forthcoming cycle tour in Australia I understand it is a law for
cyclists to wear them. Whilst I accept that it isn't a good idea to
deliberately flout laws whilst in a foriegn country, I was wondering to
what extent I am likely to be pulled over by the police and fined for
not wearing one? Is it more acceptable to ride helmetless in country
areas rather than in Melbourne?

Alternatively, do all cyclists obey this law, much like motorcyclists?
If so, then I suppose I will get one. Do you have any recommendations
for the cheapest and most unobtrusive helmet available?

Cheers
Ray

Old November 18th 06, 07:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Halcyon

raisethe wrote:
I cycle in the UK and don't wear a helmet because I do not want too. On
my forthcoming cycle tour in Australia I understand it is a law for
cyclists to wear them. Whilst I accept that it isn't a good idea to
deliberately flout laws whilst in a foriegn country, I was wondering to
what extent I am likely to be pulled over by the police and fined for
not wearing one? Is it more acceptable to ride helmetless in country
areas rather than in Melbourne?

Alternatively, do all cyclists obey this law, much like motorcyclists?
If so, then I suppose I will get one. Do you have any recommendations
for the cheapest and most unobtrusive helmet available?

Cheers
Ray

Invariably all cyclists wear them, and for good reason.
You get what you pay for. Best to go for a light one with plenty of air
holes as heat can be an issue.
Halcyon
Old November 18th 06, 08:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

raisethe wrote:
I cycle in the UK and don't wear a helmet because I do not want too. On
my forthcoming cycle tour in Australia I understand it is a law for
cyclists to wear them. Whilst I accept that it isn't a good idea to
deliberately flout laws whilst in a foriegn country, I was wondering to
what extent I am likely to be pulled over by the police and fined for
not wearing one? Is it more acceptable to ride helmetless in country
areas rather than in Melbourne?

Alternatively, do all cyclists obey this law, much like motorcyclists?
If so, then I suppose I will get one. Do you have any recommendations
for the cheapest and most unobtrusive helmet available?

Cheers
Ray

it's a common misconception that helmets protect you. In fact, thery're
more a last line of defence when you come off or are cleaned up by 1.5
tonnes of metal. People do ride here without helmets, but the only time
I do that is climbing a hill on a 40 degree day, which I think can be
reasonably excused.
Having been in two high speed bingles where the helmet unquestionably
did its job, which is to absorb impact that would otherwise be delivered
to your skull and brain, I'd certainly recommend you wear one except
possibly in extreme conditions as noted.
Cheers,
Another Ray
Old November 18th 06, 09:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle
bkay

raisethe Wrote:
I cycle in the UK and don't wear a helmet because I do not want too. On
my forthcoming cycle tour in Australia I understand it is a law for
cyclists to wear them. Whilst I accept that it isn't a good idea to
deliberately flout laws whilst in a foriegn country, I was wondering to
what extent I am likely to be pulled over by the police and fined for
not wearing one? Is it more acceptable to ride helmetless in country
areas rather than in Melbourne?

Alternatively, do all cyclists obey this law, much like motorcyclists?
If so, then I suppose I will get one. Do you have any recommendations
for the cheapest and most unobtrusive helmet available?

Cheers
Ray

I live in mornington and cycle regularly with my husband who never
wears a helmet. All the police have said to him is "a helmet would be
nice".

--
bkay

Old November 18th 06, 11:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

raisethe Wrote:
I cycle in the UK and don't wear a helmet because I do not want too. On
my forthcoming cycle tour in Australia I understand it is a law for
cyclists to wear them. Whilst I accept that it isn't a good idea to
deliberately flout laws whilst in a foriegn country, I was wondering
what extent I am likely to be pulled over by the police and fined for
not wearing one? Is it more acceptable to ride helmetless in country
areas rather than in Melbourne?

You should wear a helmet. See here from VicRoads:
http://tinyurl.com/b384r

Also see Rules for Bikes and Skateboards in Victoria:
http://tinyurl.com/g7gwp

There's rules and there's personal choice, although we would both
probably agree that arguing with police over points of law is not a
universally recommended course of action.

--
cfsmtb

Old November 18th 06, 11:53 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Adam F

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

raisethe Wrote:
[...]

OTOH, most cops here have a pretty laissez-faire attitude compared with your
typical bobby.
Generally no helmet will be classed as a FIDO offence (eff it, drive on)
because it's not going to harm anyone else.
Still, no guarantee you won't get fined if one's feeling a bit officious.

//Adam F

Old November 19th 06, 12:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
beerwolf

"raisethe" wrote in
ups.com:

I cycle in the UK and don't wear a helmet because I do not want too.
On my forthcoming cycle tour in Australia I understand it is a law for
cyclists to wear them. Whilst I accept that it isn't a good idea to
deliberately flout laws whilst in a foriegn country, I was wondering
to what extent I am likely to be pulled over by the police and fined
for not wearing one? Is it more acceptable to ride helmetless in
country areas rather than in Melbourne?

Alternatively, do all cyclists obey this law, much like motorcyclists?
If so, then I suppose I will get one. Do you have any recommendations
for the cheapest and most unobtrusive helmet available?

Cheers
Ray

Re the legal position: It is compulsory to wear an approved helmet while
cycling anywhere in Australia, on-road or off. However, I see plenty of
cyclists not wearing them - which would not be the case if there were a
zero tolerance enforcement policy. It *is* enforced though, in an
unpredictable way - probably depending on the individual police
officer's mood, opinions, instructions, etc. You could probably get away
with ignoring any fines, if you're not planning to come back. Be aware
though, that there have been a few instances where the police let down a
cyclist's tyres in addition to or instead of issuing a fine - and
confiscated the pump with instructions to pick it up from the cop shop
next day.

If you are planning to wear a helmet, you will regret buying a cheapie
if you're planning to ride a lot. They are all standards-compliant, but
vary a lot in amount of ventilation and therefore coolness. IMHO,
comfort is *everything*. FWIW, I switched to a Specialized Decibel and
wear it always when riding. I feel really exposed without it, and I find
that the ventilation it provides is excellent.

One other thing. Helmet or not, you WILL need head covering if riding
in Australia during summer. And a cloth between helmet and head unless
you have plenty of hair. I don't, and have acquired "tiger stripes" on
my scalp before wising up to this. AND don't forget covering for the
back of the neck.

Enjoy Australia!

--
beerwolf
(To reply by email, remove numbers from my address)
Old November 19th 06, 12:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Aeek

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:53:55 +1100, "Adam F"
wrote:

OTOH, most cops here have a pretty laissez-faire attitude compared with your
typical bobby.
Generally no helmet will be classed as a FIDO offence (eff it, drive on)
because it's not going to harm anyone else.
Still, no guarantee you won't get fined if one's feeling a bit officious.

Enforcement varies.
The West Australian Police have a reputation for letting the air out
of your tires and insisting that you walk.
Old November 19th 06, 12:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
geoffs

bkay Wrote:
I live in mornington and cycle regularly with my husband who never wears
a helmet. All the police have said to him is "a helmet would be nice".

If someone is to stupid to where a helmet, that's ok. Whatever it takes
to improve the gene pool.

Cheers

Geoff

--
geoffs

Old November 19th 06, 01:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Shane Stanley

If you are taking out travel insurance, you're also running the risk of
invalidating it should you have an accident. In fact, some policies rule
out coverage if you're not wearing a helmet even in jurisdictions where
they aren't compulsory.

--
Shane Stanley

Road cycling events in Victoria Walrus Australia 13 April 6th 05 08:26 AM
Reasons to wear a helmet no. 483 Richard UK 5 March 16th 05 01:33 PM
Wear that Helmet!! Ken Pisichko Rides 34 July 30th 04 08:35 PM
Wear a helmet... Colin Blackburn UK 2 June 11th 04 06:19 PM
Should I wear a helmet? blue girl with white hair and red eyes Techniques 995 December 12th 03 02:17 PM