Volae Reports Anyone?

Old November 18th 03, 03:13 AM
Rocketman

Default Volae Reports Anyone?

"Doc Musekamp" wrote in message
I visited HS yesterday...Was told Waterford Precision Cycles in Waterford,
WI is the new frame builder.

I knew it! Wow, that's a very reputable builder. Quite a pedigree.

-Barry

Old November 18th 03, 03:35 AM
Dave Harney

I got one of the very first Club Volaes in early July of this year and now
have about 3,000 miles on it. I'm a little over 60, a little under 6 foot
and around 170 lbs. After 30 years of riding DF bikes, my back, neck and
wrist problems were telling me it was time to quit biking. I never really
liked the idea of a recumbent and had never ridden one before this July -
but desperation makes strange bedfellows.

I'd met Rolf a few times before on tandem bike rides and found him to be
very well respected in the recumbent cycling world. So we drove a couple
hundred miles to Stevens Point and spent most of the day trying out both
single and tandem recumbents. IMHO, the Hostel Shop is a great place to buy
a bike.

OK, the bike - I found it very difficult to learn to ride this critter and
it took about 1,000 miles before I felt mildly secure. After 2,000 miles I
felt 98% as secure as I did on my old DF - heavy city traffic is still a
little more challenging than with a DF. I think my age and lack of any
recumbent experience was the reason for the long learning curve - younger
folk would probably be good-to-go in 50 miles.

After one month, I rode the MS 150 mile (in 2 days) Best Dam Bike Tour in
Wisconsin. I simply could not have made the ride on my old DF. The Volae
was really great - although I was slow going up the hills, down hills were
an absolute thrill. My average speed was almost 15 mph - nothing to write
home about, but excellent for me. BTW, I seem to be slowly improving on
hills as new muscles get conditioned.

My back, neck and wrist problems all vanished - I really love that M5 seat.
The Volae is actually therapy for when my back gets sore from doing too much
nonsense like household chores. I had foot numbness on my DF and it is
worse on the Volae but I'm working with a foot doc and hope to correct this
issue also.

The bike has been remarkably reliable and (knock on wood) I've had zero
mechanical problems. After 3,000 miles I see very little wear on the 23c
Gator Skin tires and (again, knock on wood) I've never had a flat or needed
to adjust a spoke.

I believe my average speed has increased about 2 mph even with if a bit
slower on the steep hills - we have lots of steep hills in the Wisconsin
Kettle Moraine area. Moderate hills are no problem at all. More
importantly, I can ride 50 - 70 miles without pain!! The Volae reminds me
of why I started biking 30 years ago.

Now for a few issues - the 23c tire width has been very good and the Gator
Skin tires have been excellent; however, I prefer a 25c and cannot find a
quality tire in that width for 650c (yes, Terry makes a 28c tire that I
don't want). If Gator Skin comes out with a 25c I'll buy it instantly just
to get a little more security on the occasional gravel road. Next is
carrying capacity. I mounted 2 water bottle cages on the sides of the M5
seat and this is working pretty well. The basic seat bag is excellent for
club rides and day trips but not very good for any longer trips or foul
weather gear. Rolf helped me mount a Blackburn rear rack and that seems to
be OK - a bit of a kluge bending the arms. I plan to tour in Ireland with
the bike next spring, so we'll see how well the rack works out. I never
used fenders on a DF and see even less of a need on the Volae with the M5
seat. I'm also going to try some different chain rings. The 30/42/52 is OK
but I'm going to try 24/38/48 as I'd like to spin more on the steep hills
and I almost never use the 52. I need to be going 26 or 28 mph to benefit
from the 52 - I just don't peddle that much over 30 mph. BTW, I have a
policy of not going over 40 mph on any bike, but the Volae was rock solid at
45 when I did violate my rule one day on a long down hill.

Basically, the component set has worked flawlessly.

I just learned on this thread about Waterford potentially building the
frames - wow, that is good news as these guys are really excellent frame
builders with a solid business (at least as far as I know).

I may not be the best judge of recumbents as this is my first bent, but I
truly love the bike and would not hesitate recommending it to anyone who is
serious about biking (i.e. there may be a learning curve for newbies).
Hostel Shop is a great bike store, and the Volae is a really quality bike.
We also bought a Double Vision recumbent tandem. I like the bike, but would
not give it the same level of praise as the Volae - I just feel the Volae,
for me, is one of those unique finds in life. BTW, it is really interesting
how many non bikers comment about my Volae - it seems to represent some type
of technical elegance that impresses a variety of people.

"bentup" wrote in message
Looking for new reports on the Volae, good or bad. Haven't seen anything
new for several months and was looking at purchasing one this winter
(Club LX or Team). Now that some of the owners have had several months
of riding in, what's your opinion of the bike?

Looking for comments (for everyone) on :
- What other bike(s) are you comparing it to.
- Average speed improvement?
- Hill climbing improvement, or not, or in general.
- Your component setup, and suggested upgrades.
- Problems or concerns.

And if you still have time, I would be interested in comments regarding
the following "hypothetical person" which could soon be purchasing a
Volae. (No, this is not me, really.. really):

Age: fast approaching 50 (in 6 months). Height/weight: 5'6", 10-15
pounds more than it should be. Typical yearly distance: 1500-2000 miles
(would be more but wife/kids/house/yard/etc. come into play). 10-20
miles weekdays, 3 days per week and 30-60 miles per day on weekends,
time/weather permitting. Terrain: hilly back roads, ¼ to ¾ mile hills,
sometimes steep, kettle moraine area.

This "hypothetical person" is looking for comments regarding:
- Experience switching from a TE (present bike) to a Volae.
- Suggested gearing.
- Suggested crank arm length for this "not so tall" person
(inseam 31").
- Any other comments you may have for this "hypothetical person".
- Front tire selection issues. (seen eariler posts regarding
problems fitting different tires into fork)

Thanks in advance for any comments. Sorry for the length of this post,
much longer than I first thought it would be.

Old November 18th 03, 07:36 PM
John W

"Marc Rosenbaum" wrote in message
Although I have heard a
lot on the Bacchetta list about the non-round tubing and its
superiority, I don't think I'm strong enough to care - it certainly
doesn't feel soft when I pedal hard. Interestingly enough, the
flagship bacchetta, the Aero, is made from round tubing.

If you work on your bike and you use a repair stand it sure is a lot easier
to clamp a round tube that it is the upside down teardrop tube.

John

Old November 26th 03, 02:54 AM
Seth Jayson

My 2 cents.

two of the first Volaes made hang in my garage. No wait, one's on the
trainer in the living room now. (stupid darkness) My wife Jen's been
on a club since before the production run, when Rolf loaned her the
prototype for a month. (How many bike shops have just up and loaned
you a bike for a month?)

She rides what is now a club LX. She came from a wedgie and took to
the 'bent immediately. On her first ride on the prototype, up in
Pointy Steve, she was ditching the local club's roadies (while I
fought off food poisoning back in the park.)Two days into the loan she
told me to sell her Klein Quantum.

Don't believe any of the BS theories (always spouted by folks who
haven't been on the bike)about this bike being wiggly because the tube
is round. The boom is short and it's solid.

I ride a team that Rolf's loaned me, and I've used it for fast club
rides, a lot of wedgie-whooping on RAGBRAI (wasn't even a fair
contest) and also for commuting on realy crappy chicago streets. It
has proved to be more durable and more comfortable than my trusty RANS
rocket, even on broken pavement, glass, whatever. It is also very very
fast and climbs uphill like crazy.

The Club and the Team were the objects of much lust on RAGBRAI.
Wedgies were constantly asking if they could try them out. I'm very
sad that the arrival of winter has me back on uprights shuttling to
and from the commuter train. I miss commuting on the team.

On steering, I don't quite understand the 'squirrely' remarks above.
By comparison to any other bent I've ridden, accept for the old Vision
R40 I fixed up for my mother-in-law, the bike is docile, even at low
speed. It's a lot friendlier than a Rans rocket, that's for sure.

The only thing I don't like about it is that that wonderful Alpha Q
pro fork has such tight wheel clearance that if you're on a tour and
you must go through mud, you need to carry the bike, because otherwise
the build-up will be sanding away your carbon fiber...

Another thing to note is that the steering set-up is more customizable
than on comparable bikes. Rolf will cut the stem for you, or you can
cut your own after you get your seat angle worked out, and you can get
bars of varying widths and stems of different lengths.

Do make sure you get the right size M5 seat, though. I love riding it.
But when I had to pedal on a medium (I take a large) my back went into
spasm after 15 miles or so. Had I not known better, I would have just
blamed the seat and/or bike, and probably been quite irked.

Matteo, sicuro che sara difficile mandare un Volae in Italia. Ma sera
anche possibile che io ci vado fra un mezzo anno, e sei serio che
vorresti un volae, possiamo parlare. Dove abiti tu? Io abito vicino al
Hostel Shoppe e conosco bene Rolf e gli altri.
Old November 27th 03, 01:09 AM
mike s

(Seth Jayson) wrote in message . com...
My 2 cents.

[...]

Seth: From your comments I am reminded that I met you and your wife
after the "Bike the Drive" ride this year. We talked, primarily with
her (nothing personal but I think any male would prefer talking to
her), about the bike and how much she liked it. This was in the park
after the ride. I think your comments about the handling of the bike
and its steering set-up versatility is spot on. I also liked the
ability to remove the seat without destroying the settings. Just pull
it off, put it back on, voila, same position. I didn't get one
because I am just not comfortable with the 'tweener bar superman set
up, although Rolf did offer to work with me on adapting the set up to
my liking. I didn't take him up on that because first, I really like
my Barcroft Virginia and second, I didn't feel comfortable having the
bike steering set up changed to the degree I would require. But, even
though the fit wasn't for me, that didn't mean it wasn't a fine bike.

Hope to see you guys again on this year's Bike the Drive as you tear
past me.

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo

Barcroft Virginia
Barcroft Columbia
RANS Rocket

Old November 28th 03, 08:36 AM
nogoslow

[...]

Boy Seth,

You must be on the payroll dude!
I beg to differ with you but a strong rider will make that bike
"wiggle".
I guess you don't know what that would be about though.
And, I do believe you live in Chi-town?
We will have to go for a ride sometime?
The Wisconsin Brevet schedual should be out soon I will post it. Hope
to see you and your Volae there.
Sharon is real close to you.
Looking forward to seeing you next season.
Old December 2nd 03, 04:17 PM
Seth Jayson

Boy Seth,

You must be on the payroll dude!
I beg to differ with you but a strong rider will make that bike
"wiggle".
I guess you don't know what that would be about though.
And, I do believe you live in Chi-town?
We will have to go for a ride sometime?
The Wisconsin Brevet schedual should be out soon I will post it. Hope
to see you and your Volae there.
Sharon is real close to you.
Looking forward to seeing you next season.

No pay, Kev, but I do get to ride a loaned Team for free. We bought
the one my wife rides. (I've purchased Bacchettas too... I got enough
love for everyone...)

As for wiggling, anything will do that if you crank on it hard enough,
I suppose. My point is that there are a lot of people speculating who
have never ridden the Volae. It is not a noodle.

I'm pretty sure it wiggles less than an Aero, (others have said the
same thing) but on the other hand, the Team does weigh a couple pounds
more since it's not Ti.

Post that Brevet schedule. I'd like to get out and ride some longer
distances, although that may be a ways off. I got creamed this weekend
by Gary Toy out in Barrington. I'm outta shape big time.

See you at the Chitown party.
Old December 3rd 03, 10:11 PM
Seth Jayson

The only thing I don't like about it is that that wonderful Alpha Q
pro fork has such tight wheel clearance that if you're on a tour and
you must go through mud, you need to carry the bike, because otherwise
the build-up will be sanding away your carbon fiber...

Update here. Apparently, my bike had a version of the Alpha Q pro
which had REALLY tight clearance, The guys at the Hostel Shoppe
contacted me about this, and I checked against my wife's bike, and
sure enough, her Alpha Q Pro fork (as well as all the new ones) has a
bit more than 1/4 inch of clearance, more than enough for dirt to get
through. Still not enough for a fender, though

sj
Old December 3rd 03, 10:24 PM
bentbiker

FWIW, I think the volae is much nicer looking than the Bachetta's, and
seem like a better dollar value. That Brass color on the club is great
looking.

Old December 4th 03, 12:11 AM
Robert Siegel

My Volae Team is only in its second day. But IMHO, Hostel Shoppe has done
a magnificent job of designing and building this extremely competitive
two-650c-wheel, state-of-the-art recumbent. AND WOW, IS IT FAST!

Plus I find it very light, responsive, comfortable and easy to ride. I am
very impressed and frankly, surprised
at how much I like it and how quickly I seem to be adapting to it from my
ride of the last two years, a LWB, low bottom bracket, Ti Rush. The Rush
is a magnificent recumbent ... but at circa-35 pounds, it is 10 pounds
heavier and a bit longer than the Volae Team. Although I love the Rush's
comfort and feel, it does not have the incredible lightness and quickness of
the Volae Team. It's just possible I'll keep both. There are some laid
back, touring type rides on which the Rush could prove a little less
demanding of the rider's attention and possibly prove to be more comfortable
over many hours. And the Rush is an unmatched sight-seeing platform.

As of this early report, I think the Volae Team is a keeper ... unless I
start to see personal "fit" problems, such as the outside possibility the
laid-back M5 seat might cause my 75-year-old back and neck some discomfort.
My first two days of rides have been under 10 miles each so they have not
been a real test but still, I am optimistically hopeful that back/neck
symptoms will not surface. So far, so good, anyhow.

Bob Siegel currently in Key Colony Beach FL