winter gloves follow up

Old December 8th 03, 06:42 PM
DH

Default winter gloves follow up

I bought a pair of Columbia's top of the line gloves (model SM9125). I
bought them a month ago, but last night was the first real cold night in
that month and so I thought I'd give them a try. My wife and I biked for
about an hour in near freezing temperature.

She wore fleece gloves with Thinsulate insulation and her hands were
toasty and mine were cold, though not as cold as my feet.

I might try getting my money back for those gloves but it's been a month
and the store policy has a two week return. Toady I bought a pair of
Craft Pro Layer 1 which I will use either as an insert to those Columbia
gloves or another pair.

aaaaaaarrrggggggggg

Old December 9th 03, 10:48 AM
Mikael Seierup

"DH" skrev...
I bought a pair of Columbia's top of the line gloves (model SM9125). I
bought them a month ago, but last night was the first real cold night in
that month and so I thought I'd give them a try. My wife and I biked for
about an hour in near freezing temperature.

She wore fleece gloves with Thinsulate insulation and her hands were
toasty and mine were cold, though not as cold as my feet.

I can't seem to keep warm in anything but knitted gloves with thinsulate lining.
When it gets really cold I wear some nylon mitten shells over them.
(Nylon mittens with the fleece lining ripped out)
I have some fancy bikegloves and they are horrible.

Wearing something warmer on your head and body might help.
AFAIK your body shuts down heating to extremeties first
to keep the vital stuff warm.

Mikael
Old December 9th 03, 03:34 PM
Steve Christensen

In article , Mikael Seierup
says...

"DH" skrev...
I bought a pair of Columbia's top of the line gloves (model SM9125). I
bought them a month ago, but last night was the first real cold night in
that month and so I thought I'd give them a try. My wife and I biked for
about an hour in near freezing temperature.

She wore fleece gloves with Thinsulate insulation and her hands were
toasty and mine were cold, though not as cold as my feet.

I can't seem to keep warm in anything but knitted gloves with thinsulate lining.
When it gets really cold I wear some nylon mitten shells over them.
(Nylon mittens with the fleece lining ripped out)
I have some fancy bikegloves and they are horrible.

Wearing something warmer on your head and body might help.
AFAIK your body shuts down heating to extremeties first
to keep the vital stuff warm.

I get cold hands very easily, and one thing I've found that helps at freezing
and below is to switch gloves every hour, certainly after any rest stop. It's
really a pain to carry around the extra gear, especially the soaking wet gloves
after an hour's hard ride, but it does seem to help. Once they get really wet
none of the gloves seem to insulate as well.

Steve Christensen

Old December 9th 03, 03:50 PM
remy1942

I might try getting my money back for those gloves but it's been a month
and the store policy has a two week return. Toady I bought a pair of
Craft Pro Layer 1 which I will use either as an insert to those Columbia
gloves or another pair.

aaaaaaarrrggggggggg

Gloves just don't cut it but I have an answer Pogies: Another solution
is Pogies. Bike pogies are oversized mittens that fit over the
handlebars. They let you ride barehanded when you'd wear gloves and let
you wear gloves when you'd need heavy mittens or gloves.

Old December 9th 03, 04:34 PM
DH

Gloves just don't cut it but I have an answer Pogies: Another solution
is Pogies. Bike pogies are oversized mittens that fit over the
handlebars. They let you ride barehanded when you'd wear gloves and let
you wear gloves when you'd need heavy mittens or gloves.

Yea, that was suggested the last time I started a thread about gloves. I
also have an idea for a plastic form that attaches to the handlebar and
forces the air/rain/whatever over your hands. These 'things' exist for
motorcycles and motorbikes, but nothing, AFAIK, exists for bikes. I have
it in the back of my mind to somehow market these and make some money.

Old December 9th 03, 05:01 PM
mike s

"Mikael Seierup" wrote in message ...
"DH" skrev...
I bought a pair of Columbia's top of the line gloves (model SM9125). I
bought them a month ago, but last night was the first real cold night in
that month and so I thought I'd give them a try. My wife and I biked for
about an hour in near freezing temperature.

She wore fleece gloves with Thinsulate insulation and her hands were
toasty and mine were cold, though not as cold as my feet.

I can't seem to keep warm in anything but knitted gloves with thinsulate lining.
When it gets really cold I wear some nylon mitten shells over them.
(Nylon mittens with the fleece lining ripped out)
I have some fancy bikegloves and they are horrible.

Wearing something warmer on your head and body might help.
AFAIK your body shuts down heating to extremeties first
to keep the vital stuff warm.

Mikael

I have the same problem. No matter what I try, when I ride in
temperature in the low 30's or below, the tips of my fingers and my
toes get painfully cold. I use fleece booties covering the shoes and
my toes can make it for about an hour before they become noticeably a
problem. I use Pearl Izumi Lobster Claw gloves and it doesn't take
long for my fingertips to get very cold. I try not putting my fingers
all the way in the finger sleeves, thus creating an air pocket at the
tips, and I have started using these chemical handwarmers, but they
only go into the glove as far as the finger sleeves. Helps a little
but not much. The rest of me is warm with the fleece insulated tights
and with layering and the balaclava (best keeping warm garment I
have). Previous posts suggest switching pedals during the winter to
beartraps and then riding in insulated boots, something I don't want
to do. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo.
Old December 9th 03, 11:47 PM
Gary Mc

"DH" wrote in message ...
Gloves just don't cut it but I have an answer Pogies: Another solution
is Pogies. Bike pogies are oversized mittens that fit over the
handlebars. They let you ride barehanded when you'd wear gloves and let
you wear gloves when you'd need heavy mittens or gloves.

Yea, that was suggested the last time I started a thread about gloves. I
also have an idea for a plastic form that attaches to the handlebar and
forces the air/rain/whatever over your hands. These 'things' exist for
motorcycles and motorbikes, but nothing, AFAIK, exists for bikes. I have
it in the back of my mind to somehow market these and make some money.

Try a search on "Moose Mitts". Here is one that I found:

http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/te...mfbikemits.htm
Old December 10th 03, 12:24 PM
rorschandt

(mike s) wrote in
om:

[...]

I can appreciate your painfully cold digits. The only cure I found was one
winter I lived in Santa Barbara, CA. It didn't get cold, so gloves and all
that other silliness that goes with w*nt*r were unnecessary.
My suggestion is that all of us that have difficulty keeping warm, move to
someplace where the climate isn't actively attempting to make us into "meat
popsicles".
A liner glove inside your lobster mits may help.

happy trails,
R.
Old December 10th 03, 02:05 PM
Mikael Seierup

"rorschandt" skrev...
My suggestion is that all of us that have difficulty keeping warm, move to
someplace where the climate isn't actively attempting to make us into "meat
popsicles".

I'd love to. Spending the winters on Crete or some other greek island
and pootling down to the local taverna for some yummy food
and a spot of wine. Unfortunately I'm not the Son of Gates
and they drive like maniacs in Greece anyway. ;-)

Lovely sunshine here today and 5C. Rode 2 hours along slightly iced over ponds
and creeks and along a nice darkblue ocean. If nothing else it gets the blood
flowing and wakes me up. The day might only be 7 1/2 hours long right now
but it was a very nice one and in a week or so it starts getting lighter again.
(as in winter solstice)

Mikael
Old December 10th 03, 03:59 PM
Steve Christensen

In article , DH says...

For anyone remotely interested, I went back to store Monday and the
manager sold me on the idea of buying Craft Pro 1, these are very thin
liners. They worked pretty well in place of the original Columbia
inserts, but when taking the gloves on and off, the liner now doesn't stay
in place and I wind up having to completely remove it and place it on my
hand before I insert my hand back into the shell.

From years of cold weather experience as a ski patroller I can confirm that
glove liners can be very effective at extending the confort range of gloves.
But part of what made them helpful was being able to take off the overglove or
mitt without removing the glove liner. I used (and still use) some polyester
coolmax type liners that are very slick on the outside. With this as a liner it
makes removing even a wet glove a snap.

So don't give up on the liner idea - just find one with a slippery outside.

Steve Christensen