Wireless on recumbents (RANS Stratus)

Old December 18th 03, 04:49 PM
RVC

Default Wireless on recumbents (RANS Stratus)

I've just purchased a Stratus and wonder if any improvements have been made
in the wireless computer world ? I've read the archives and it appears the
main problem(s) is/are transmission distance and durability. I can mount by
Garmin eTrex Vista on the bike as a solution, but would prefer a bike
computer.

Any recommendations, to include waiting for improvements! :-)

Thanks!

RVC, USMC(Ret)

Old December 18th 03, 05:38 PM
Robert Siegel

The new Mavic Win Tour is about to be imported. At a list price of $129 with
cadence it is VERY pricy but supposedly is a breakthrough in wireless.

--
Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL

Old December 18th 03, 05:43 PM
Jon Meinecke

"RVC" wrote
I've just purchased a Stratus and wonder if any
improvements have been made in the wireless computer world ?

WiFi ? 802.11g?

a bike computer.

Oh, that kind of computer wireless... %^)

You don't mention why you want to go wireless
for your cyclocomputer. Wire routing? Aesthetics?
I use a wired one on my TE as does a friend on
his Stratus.... Wrapping the wire around the brake
cable hides it quite effectively.

As someone (Cletus?) recently pointed out, there's
a reason that the wheel/cadence sensors for wireless
cyclometers have a limited range. Interference with
other wireless cyclometers.

I speculate that the simplest design for such sensors
merely transmit a pulse each time the magnet passes.
For systems with both cadence and speed sensors,
perhaps they use two different frequencies to tell them
apart. Nothing elaborate in the radio transmitter(s).
Nothing elaborate or highly selective in the receiver.
Simple, cheap and reliable (within range).

To extend the range and deal with potential interaction
with other wireless cyclometers, one would likely need
more complicated hardware in the sensors and some real
data packet transmission protocols. Probably more battery
power in the sensors and head-units would be needed, too.

If it were acceptable and sufficient to simply boost
the output of the wireless sensors to gain another 10-15
inches, even that would likely require more battery power.

On the other hand, maybe what's needed is more directional
transmitter and receiver antennae for these devices.... hmmm...

Jon Meinecke

Old December 18th 03, 06:11 PM
Mikael Seierup

"Cletus Lee" skrev...
As a former Stratus owner, I initially experimentd with wireless. AFAIK, all wireless
transmitters have a range limited to about 70cm. This excluded the Rans Stratus H/B to front
wheel. I did mount a wireless on a Crono 'Nob' attached to the top tube near the headtube.
While it worked, it was out of reach and the night light feature was useless.

As I mentioned elsewhere Mavic is coming out with a wireless.
http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mav...=uk&news.id=70
Digital so might be better. Doesn't say how long the range is
but it should work on a VK2. Nice that the skewer has the sensor
and you can get a wireless cadence kit too.

Review when my LBS gets it. Sometime in the new year I think.

Mikael
Old December 18th 03, 06:19 PM
Steve Fox

I've had good results with the Performance Axiom wireless. The first
model I used on my TE (probably not that different from your Stratus) I
mounted on the top tube (with Crono 'Nob'), and I could control it by
leaning slightly forward. It eventually went belly up, after several
thousand miles, including a trans-Am), so I replaced it with their new
one. But it has a different mounting deal that required me to put a
space bar on the handlebar stem, just above the headset. Works
beautifully, and I can still adjust it by leaning forward slightly.
Never experienced any control problems while doing so.

And the price is right!

Steve

RVC wrote:

I've just purchased a Stratus and wonder if any improvements have been made
in the wireless computer world ? I've read the archives and it appears the
main problem(s) is/are transmission distance and durability. I can mount by
Garmin eTrex Vista on the bike as a solution, but would prefer a bike
computer.

Any recommendations, to include waiting for improvements! :-)

Thanks!

RVC, USMC(Ret)

--
Steve Fox
McKinleyville, CA
http://SoTier2003.crazyguyonabike.com

\ _____,%)
(*)-'------------(*)

Old December 18th 03, 07:59 PM
bentcruiser

Rvc wrote:
I've just purchased a Stratus and wonder if any improvements have been
made in the wireless computer world ?

If you are talking distance trouble, try putting the computer on th
derailleur tube

-

Old December 18th 03, 10:37 PM
Howard

bentcruiser wrote in news:8OmEb.196$rA2.109
@fe04.private.usenetserver.com:

Rvc wrote:
I've just purchased a Stratus and wonder if any improvements have been
made in the wireless computer world ?

Wireless sounds neat, but there's something galling about a $40 solution to
a $10 problem.

I had a dead "Walkman-like" head set. I snipped the wires and spliced them
into a Sigma lead. Two years, rain, snow, fog, no problem. I think hook-up
wire from electrode-hut would work pretty well too, that and a little heat
shrink, you could probably get away with no solder.

bitshift blah blah to respond
Old December 19th 03, 12:03 AM
Mark Leuck

"Mikael Seierup" wrote in message

"Cletus Lee" skrev...
As a former Stratus owner, I initially experimentd with wireless. AFAIK,

all wireless
transmitters have a range limited to about 70cm. This excluded the Rans

Stratus H/B to front
wheel. I did mount a wireless on a Crono 'Nob' attached to the top tube

near the headtube.
While it worked, it was out of reach and the night light feature was

useless.

As I mentioned elsewhere Mavic is coming out with a wireless.
http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mav...=uk&news.id=70
Digital so might be better. Doesn't say how long the range is
but it should work on a VK2. Nice that the skewer has the sensor
and you can get a wireless cadence kit too.

Review when my LBS gets it. Sometime in the new year I think.

Mikael

If HERE means the US its for sale here

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=3&minor=2

Old December 19th 03, 12:43 AM
Robert Siegel

"Here" means 100% of MSRP. The street price should drop 25% to 30 % quickly
after gotta-have-one-first buyers have grabbed up theirs.