Ends in a couple of hours. Huret shifters for auction.

Old March 6th 04, 03:41 PM
Greg Achtem

Default Ends in a couple of hours. Huret shifters for auction.

You better get your bid in! These are wildly popular! Smooth pure
friction shifting. From when you had to shift to shift. Perfect for a
good restoration or a good beater. They're French!

Greg

Old March 6th 04, 04:33 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:41:38 -0700, Greg Achtem
wrote:
You better get your bid in! These are wildly popular! Smooth pure
friction shifting. From when you had to shift to shift. Perfect for a
good restoration or a good beater. They're French!

According to groups.google.com, you've posted this 4 times.
According to ebay.com, you've gotten 4 bids. I suppose that's
reasonable...maybe if you post 100 times, you'll get 100 bids.

Are these really "wildly popular"?

What do you mean in the auction by "One dollar will be added to the
winning bid to partially cover materials and handling. Winning
bidder to pay all actual shipping costs." Are you saying that you
will charge $1 more than the winning bid, in addition to the
shipping cost?

Lastly, just how much are you trying to get for these? Your repeated
posting makes it appear that you're trying to drum up some bidders;
even in the pleasant condition which you describe, this item is not
worth huge gobs of money. Brand new Dura Ace shift levers, only 66
grams, that can switch between friction and 9 speed index shifting,
only cost $30 at Performance. Brand new 96 gram Falcon downtube
friction-only shifters (which require you "to shift to shift") are
$7 at Alfred E Bike (aebike.com). Obviously, then, these would be
for a restoration; but you can find similar shifters, in great
condition, on whole bikes at yard sales and thrift shops for ten to
twenty dollars.

I'm just wondering if there's something really special to these,
that would cause you to post your auction notice so repeatedly to
r.b.marketplace. That, and I'm procrastinating on doing things that
I really need to do, so this message took up some of my time, and
caused me to find a source for brand new downtube shifters for $7...

--
Rick Onanian
Old March 6th 04, 05:22 PM
Greg Achtem

wrote:

You better get your bid in! These are wildly popular! Smooth pure
friction shifting. From when you had to shift to shift. Perfect for a
good restoration or a good beater. They're French!

According to groups.google.com, you've posted this 4 times.
According to ebay.com, you've gotten 4 bids. I suppose that's
reasonable...maybe if you post 100 times, you'll get 100 bids.

Well if I thought that were true . . .

Are these really "wildly popular"?

Nope. Maybe once, but not now. Except maybe to the winning bidder.

What do you mean in the auction by "One dollar will be added to the
winning bid to partially cover materials and handling. Winning
bidder to pay all actual shipping costs." Are you saying that you
will charge $1 more than the winning bid, in addition to the
shipping cost?

Yes. Sturdy box or padded envelope. Packing materials like bubble wrap
or foam peanuts. One, maybe two trips to the post office to get the
exact shipping price and to ship. Printed label. None of this is free,
but one buck is a great deal.

[...]

How much am I trying to get for these? $4.99 or more.. Am I trying to
drum up bidders? Yes, of course. Why the repeated postings? The more
exposure the more bids. Do I think this is excessive? No.

I'm glad you found what you wanted for cheap. I like to shop that way too.

Cheers!

Greg