MTB crankset upgrade

Old August 29th 03, 05:23 PM
Rik O'Shea

Default MTB crankset upgrade

I wish to upgrade the crankset on my MTB. The current crankset
is a very low end steel model. I would like the replacement
to have the same triple ring ratio (48/38/28) - yes I ride mainly on
the road rather than dirt.
Unfortunately the standard for MTB chainsets tends to be something
like 44/32/22.

I am thinking of either Shimanao Nexave T411 which comes in (48/38/28)
- but are the rings replaceable ? or a Shimano Triple 105 or Sora
(which I think I may
be able to get 48/38/28 rings to fit) - but is this compatable with an
MTB ?

Any suggestions ?

Also what pitfalls should I look out for in terms of
compatability with bottom bracket or chainline value ... ?

Thanks in advance.
Old August 29th 03, 07:09 PM
Raymo853

You could go with a Shimano road crank, but would have to replace all the
rings to get a 48/38/28 set up. Plus 38t middle rings for road cranks are
usually pricy since they are rae. The newer four arm Nexave cranks will
have issues getting replacment rings in custom sizes. I would say get a
five-arm mtb standard crank, standard meaning the bolt holes are 110mm apart
for the two bigger rings and 74mm apart for the small one. The other mtb
type is called compact menaing the distances are 94 and 58.

Most of these cranks will have 46/36/26 gearing which may be close enough
for your app. but if it is not you can buy rings for those types of cranks
in ever size from about 26-54 teeth.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks.html

m...

Old August 31st 03, 12:36 PM
Jim Price

Rik O'Shea wrote:
I wish to upgrade the crankset on my MTB. The current crankset
is a very low end steel model. I would like the replacement
to have the same triple ring ratio (48/38/28) - yes I ride mainly on
the road rather than dirt.
Unfortunately the standard for MTB chainsets tends to be something
like 44/32/22.

I am thinking of either Shimanao Nexave T411 which comes in (48/38/28)
- but are the rings replaceable ? or a Shimano Triple 105 or Sora
(which I think I may
be able to get 48/38/28 rings to fit) - but is this compatable with an
MTB ?

Any suggestions ?

Also what pitfalls should I look out for in terms of
compatability with bottom bracket or chainline value ... ?

You used to be able to get a Shimano Deore chainset with a 48-36-26 or
thereabouts.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com