Shimano AX brakes?

Old March 4th 14, 10:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Shimano AX brakes?

Qheb Shimano came out with their AX aero groupsets there were many interesting things tried with it.Dyna-drive pedals, deraillers that didn't need external cable housing. One of the other interesting items was the design of the AX brake caliper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Brakes...-/111287651174

They were a nice compact centre-pull design and I recall that they worked very well.

How do those calipers compare with modern rim brakes?

Any ideas as to why such a compact brake caliper design died out?

Cheers
Old March 4th 14, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:46:46 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Qheb Shimano came out with their AX aero groupsets there were many interesting things tried with it.Dyna-drive pedals, deraillers that didn't need external cable housing. One of the other interesting items was the design of the AX brake caliper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Brakes...-/111287651174

They were a nice compact centre-pull design and I recall that they worked very well.

How do those calipers compare with modern rim brakes?

Any ideas as to why such a compact brake caliper design died out?

I've got no personal experience with them. (I think few people do.) But
there's this:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec....E/OC4-daB0s-oJ

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 4th 14, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:46:46 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Qheb Shimano came out with their AX aero groupsets there were many interesting things tried with it.Dyna-drive pedals, deraillers that didn't need external cable housing. One of the other interesting items was the design of the AX brake caliper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Brakes...-/111287651174

They were a nice compact centre-pull design and I recall that they worked very well.

How do those calipers compare with modern rim brakes?

Any ideas as to why such a compact brake caliper design died out?

Cheers

They've made a minor come back for TT bikes. They are just a species of center-pull and have the same pad wear/angle issues and are not the last word in stopping power, particularly with the stubby pads. This is based on reports from owners in the '80s. I would think that modern dual pivots have a lighter feel, are easier to adjust and have more stopping power.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 4th 14, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davet

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:46:46 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Qheb Shimano came out with their AX aero groupsets there were many interesting things tried with it.Dyna-drive pedals, deraillers that didn't need external cable housing. One of the other interesting items was the design of the AX brake caliper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Brakes...-/111287651174

They were a nice compact centre-pull design and I recall that they worked very well.

How do those calipers compare with modern rim brakes?

Any ideas as to why such a compact brake caliper design died out?

Cheers

I had an AX group on my 3Rensho a number of years ago. The AX aero brakes, while good looking, were only moderately good stoppers on a road bike. They were fine for Tri bikes where strong stopping power generally wasn't an issue.
Old March 4th 14, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 04/03/14 21:46, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Qheb Shimano came out with their AX aero groupsets there were many interesting things tried with it.Dyna-drive pedals, deraillers that didn't need external cable housing. One of the other interesting items was the design of the AX brake caliper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Brakes...-/111287651174

They were a nice compact centre-pull design and I recall that they worked very well.

How do those calipers compare with modern rim brakes?

Any ideas as to why such a compact brake caliper design died out?

I remember them. I played with them for a while. I think they had a
roller or similar in each arm that the sides of the wedge would ride
against, so that as the cable pulled the wedge up, the arms would be
forced apart at the top and the pads together against the rim.

They were ok when new, but the rollers and groove that the wedge slid in
would fill with crap and not allow smooth movement, such that the wedge
would not pull evenly, and you get one pad touching before the other,
and with increased pull effort as well.

Regular side pull brakes have simple pivots only, that keep most of the
crap from spoiling the movement.

--
JS
Old March 5th 14, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/4/2014 4:46 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Qheb Shimano came out with their AX aero groupsets there were many interesting things tried with it.Dyna-drive pedals, deraillers that didn't need external cable housing. One of the other interesting items was the design of the AX brake caliper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Brakes...-/111287651174

They were a nice compact centre-pull design and I recall that they worked very well.

How do those calipers compare with modern rim brakes?

Any ideas as to why such a compact brake caliper design died out?

There were other similar designs, Weinmann Aero, Modolo
Kronos even Record Delta. They tend toward heavy and complex
where light and simple cost no more. Oh, and just try to
find brake pads for a BR-7300!

http://www.yellowjersey.org/sh83.html

OTOH we actually have these:
http://www.tektro-usa.com/category.p...d=205&subcat=0

because cyclists have a wide range of taste.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 5th 14, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:27:13 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks Andrew.

I saw the Shimano New 600 on that page too. I have that group on one of my bikes but didn't realize it was introduced in 1983 - 1984. Shimano hyped a lot of their stuff saying it was so advanced and great. Another thing I wonder about is the Shimano W cut chainring teeth. Did they abandon that idea too?

Thanks again and cheers.
Old March 6th 14, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/5/2014 5:58 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

'W Cut' is not substantially different from any modern
chainring which is to say the idea was a keeper. We now have
ramps and pins besides a few truncated teeth.

Shimano started that with a few missing teeth on freewheel
low gear sprockets ten years before W Cut.

http://www.jims59.com/vintageschwinn...ur_rt_rear.jpg

That was effective too, especially with rear changers of the
era.

Old May 1st 14, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

[...]

Hey there Andrew.

On March 7, 2014 I bought a pair of Dura Ace AX brake calipers for my single speed project. Today I really lucked out in that i found a whole bunch of NOS Dura Ace AX brake rubbers at $1.25 each. I got all the shop had. Also bought a pair of NOS Shimano BL_R400 Aero Brake Levers complete with cables and housing for only $25.00 I don't know what group they belong to but the feel comfortable and look good. Any idea where they fall in the Shimano lineup?

Thanks and cheers
Old May 1st 14, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

[...]

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

interesting print transition..

firecrackers to Cal's Porsche Design.