It's nice to read about the ride to work people

Old August 15th 03, 02:41 PM
Burr

Default It's nice to read about the ride to work people

I have a service company east of LA so I have to drive my van most of
the time but I do ride five miles to the gym in the morning and back
plus any other riding I can get in.
When I'm home (in the high desert) I ride my bike on a 28 mile around
town ride plus for doing my shopping and stuff.
I feel very good about myself after doing this and I'm sure it's
helping my health (I'm 61).

Burr
Diamondback Road Bike
REI Touring Bike
Schwinn City Bike
So. California Deserts

Old August 15th 03, 03:54 PM
jeo

Hey. Glad to hear that you're riding. I'm here in Kansas City,
Missouri, US. Starting monday I'll be doing 26 mi. roundtrip. I've
ridden it on the weekends but after today's "ozone alert" I'm just
tired of taking the bus and or driving. I work at a university. We've
got a gym and I'll take a shower there. I'm thinking of taking the bus
in once a week to drop off my business clothes and pick up the old
ones. Is that what you do?

In cycling solidarity,

Jon

Old August 16th 03, 02:08 AM
Actually34

At 57, I'm getting up there, too. I commute daily to get groceries, go to the
bank and run errands. I also commute to a teaching gig I have.

I dropped my membership at the gym because I get more exercise this way. I'm
not putting as many miles on the car. And I, too, feel better.

David

Old August 16th 03, 09:47 PM
Les & Judy Sires

I'm also a bike commuter in Kansas City. My commute is 18 miles one way.
I take the bus
in and and ride home. In bad weather, I just use the bus. No showers at
work so I ride the
half mile to catch the bus and then ride home after work. I work downtown
and live in the
'burbs. On Friday, I haul my clothes home.

-Les

Old August 17th 03, 03:04 AM
Damian Harvey

I ride to work every single day, rain, hail and shine. In fact the other
day I went through the 3 physical states of water, I rode in fog in the
morning on the way home it rained then started to hail.
However no matter the weather I always get to work feeling wide awake
and energised. After the intial concerns of the boss they are now very
pleased witht the person who arrives in the morning. I'm sure I'm a
better worker for all the riding I do. I've lost close to 50kg in the
past year of cycling.
My trip is about 13km each way. I leave at 4:00am and get home at 2:30pm
so traffic is generally not a hassle for me. There's only one other bike
out on the road that time of morning and we have a friendly rivalry
going, we generally meet at the same traffic light every morning, chance
not planned. And race to the next light about a mile away. He wins about
70% of the time but occcasionally I'll get the jump on him by spinning
at what seems like 160rpm. I ride a Trek 4700 MTB with 1.5 inch semi slicks.

--
Cheers
Damian Harvey

This space reserved for standard disclaimer, witty quote,
plug for own business in caps and large, bad ASCII art.

Bonking and food for a ride Sandy Christmus General 38 August 9th 03 08:44 PM
SF Willie Brown to Receive NBG, Berkeley Mayor to ride with NBG Just a Cyclist General 1 August 7th 03 05:00 PM
Group ride questions Ken General 4 July 24th 03 01:05 AM
Ride well out into the lane where the cars go? Tanya Quinn General 3 July 10th 03 03:52 AM