Get a new dual suspension frame or go back to hardtail?

Old November 17th 03, 02:31 AM
rocketman58

Default Get a new dual suspension frame or go back to hardtail?

Last year I sold my old hardtail frame and went full suspesion. I
found a new 16" Giant DS-1 frame at the LBS for a couple of hundred $.
Very plush, very sturdy. It's great off road, but a slug on the street
- it weighs a lot more than my old HT did, and bobs when I pedal.
Since I ride about 50% on road, it's staring to bug me.

I'm still on a budget. I want to replace the frame. I have a older XT
stuff and a Manatou Black Comp 100/120 fork.

Can I go back to a hardtail, or does the fork have too much travel?

If I stick with a dual suspension frame, what frame is cheap, doesn't
bob a lot, and has a low stand-over height?

Old November 17th 03, 03:29 AM
Mopar Freak

"rocketman58" wrote in message
om...
Last year I sold my old hardtail frame and went full suspesion. I
found a new 16" Giant DS-1 frame at the LBS for a couple of hundred $.
Very plush, very sturdy. It's great off road, but a slug on the street
- it weighs a lot more than my old HT did, and bobs when I pedal.
Since I ride about 50% on road, it's staring to bug me.

hmmm... Did you tell your LBS that you do 50% of your riding on pavement?
A URT single pivot full suspension bike is the worst possible choice for
road riding (I'd sooner ride a BMX - and they only have one -low- speed with
20" wheels)
If you split your time evenly between road and off road, your best bet is to
keep your fs bike for the trails, and get a piece of crap beater - maybe a
used "ugly" bike with base components, NO FRONT SUSPENSION, and narrow 27"
or 700C wheels for the road (my off road bike is a Rocky Mountain Flow and
my commuter is a '82 Sears special with 27" wheels, no derailleurs, and no
suspension.

I'm still on a budget. I want to replace the frame. I have older XT
stuff and a Manatou Black Comp 100/120 fork.

Can I go back to a hardtail, or does the fork have too much travel?

There is no such thing as too much front suspension. My Flow has a 130mm
Z-1 FR QR-20 and if all goes according to plan, I'm going to get a Balfa
Minuteman for next season sporting a 170mm Jr.-T double crown - triple clamp
fork. Granted, you might not like 7" in front, just because you don't need
to ride with a chopper-like 67deg head tube angle (not going down vertical
chutes, not doing crazy north-shore style trails, not dropping 7 ft on a
hard tail on a daily basis)

If I stick with a dual suspension frame, what frame is cheap, doesn't
bob a lot, and has a low stand-over height?

Your options are very limited, I'd try to find something by Jamis (if at all
possible, get one from last year, when Jamis still used a Horst link) or
maybe a very entry-level Specialized (rockhopper FSR with coil-over spring)
but even those frames will probably set you back about $500.00 CDN (fill in
your currency here)

Hope this helps

Old November 17th 03, 01:55 PM
Per Elmsäter

rocketman58 wrote:
Last year I sold my old hardtail frame and went full suspesion. I
found a new 16" Giant DS-1 frame at the LBS for a couple of hundred $.
Very plush, very sturdy. It's great off road, but a slug on the street
- it weighs a lot more than my old HT did, and bobs when I pedal.
Since I ride about 50% on road, it's staring to bug me.

I'm still on a budget. I want to replace the frame. I have a older XT
stuff and a Manatou Black Comp 100/120 fork.

Can I go back to a hardtail, or does the fork have too much travel?

If I stick with a dual suspension frame, what frame is cheap, doesn't
bob a lot, and has a low stand-over height?

Another option of course is to either exhange your current suspension for a
front and rear shock that will lock out or get a new FS frame that already
has this.
My Fox Float RC and Marathon S both can be locked out. For some reason
though I seldom need to use it.

--
Perre

Old November 25th 03, 01:25 PM

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message ...
rocketman58 wrote:
[...]

You should just buy a better bike. Sell everything and buy a bike w/ a
stable platform. You'll notice the difference and will appreciate it.

Old November 26th 03, 12:25 AM
Per Elmsäter

C wrote:
Per Elmsäter wrote
rocketman58 wrote:
[...]

What's wrong with my bike?
--
Perre

Old December 3rd 03, 08:57 PM
rocketman58

Well, after some test rides (and a very good deal), I bought a steel
hardtail frame. I should be getting the frame by the end of the week.
Anyone want to buy an almost new Giant Warp DS-1 for cheap?

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message ...
C wrote:
Per Elmsäter wrote

Trek 5500 reviews? Rivermist General 17 June 24th 04 03:21 AM
RePete is Back...RePete is Back!!! RePete General 1 April 25th 04 03:29 PM
RR - Last Ride of the Hardtail. Spider Mountain Biking 1 August 7th 03 01:04 AM