2 batteries powering 1 lamp / Vistalite Nightstick

Old October 23rd 03, 08:21 PM
scottshields

Default 2 batteries powering 1 lamp / Vistalite Nightstick

I have a Vistalite Nightstick system with 2 NiMH batteries. The system
comes with a y splitter that I assume was designed to power two lamps
from one battery. I've tested mine in the reverse configuration, running
one lamp with two batteries and it works however I fear I may damage the
bulb or reduce its life if I use that configuration. Does anyone have
expertise in this area that can offer me some advice?

Old October 23rd 03, 09:23 PM
daveornee

scottshields wrote:
I have a Vistalite Nightstick system with 2 NiMH batteries. The system
comes with a y splitter that I assume was designed to power two lamps
from one battery. I've tested mine in the reverse configuration, running
one lamp with two batteries and it works however I fear I may damage the
bulb or reduce its life if I use that configuration. Does anyone have
expertise in this area that can offer me some advice?

The directions that came with my Vistalite Nightstick system says:
"Warning: Only use the Y-cord for driving 2 headlights with 1 battery.
Do not connect two batteries with Y-cord" I would rely of the expertise
of the manufacturer. There is no real benefit of paralleling the
batteries via the Y-cord. If run time is your issue, you should stop and
move the battery connection.

--
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL USA

David Ornee, Western Springs, IL USA

Old October 24th 03, 01:28 AM
scottshields

daveornee wrote:
The directions that came with my Vistalite Nightstick system says:
"Warning: Only use the Y-cord for driving 2 headlights with 1 battery.
Do not connect two batteries with Y-cord" I would rely of the expertise
of the manufacturer. There is no real benefit of paralleling the
batteries via the Y-cord. If run time is your issue, you should stop and
move the battery connection.

That's interesting...

My instructions read:

"If using two sticks with one light connect two male ends of the y
splitter to each stick and the female end to the battery cable."

I checked the voltage produced with this configuration and it's only .5
volts higher than one battery alone. This doesn't seem like enough to
make a difference.

Scott

Old October 24th 03, 03:35 AM
Peter

scottshields wrote:

daveornee wrote:
The directions that came with my Vistalite Nightstick system says:
"Warning: Only use the Y-cord for driving 2 headlights with 1 battery.
Do not connect two batteries with Y-cord" I would rely of the expertise
of the manufacturer. There is no real benefit of paralleling the
batteries via the Y-cord. If run time is your issue, you should stop and
move the battery connection.

That's interesting...

My instructions read:

"If using two sticks with one light connect two male ends of the y
splitter to each stick and the female end to the battery cable."

I checked the voltage produced with this configuration and it's only .5
volts higher than one battery alone. This doesn't seem like enough to
make a difference.

You're connecting the two batteries in parallel so the voltage will be
essentially unchanged (just goes up a little since the load on each battery
is less), so the problem is not with the lamp. However, it's not an ideal
situation for the batteries (esp. if they're NiMH) unless they are
well-matched so they always have the same state-of-charge.
And I wonder what you see as the advantage. If you just have one battery
connected at a time you'll get a clear indication when the first one runs
out of charge and you still have the second available to get home. With
both connected in parallel they'll both go dead together and you could be
stranded without any light. This is especially a problem with NiCd and
NiMH cells that have a very rapid voltage drop when they run out of charge
so you don't get much warning time before the light goes out completely.

Old November 5th 03, 02:32 AM
tross45

scottshields wrote:
I have a Vistalite Nightstick system with 2 NiMH batteries. The system
comes with a y splitter that I assume was designed to power two lamps
from one battery. I've tested mine in the reverse configuration, running
one lamp with two batteries and it works however I fear I may damage the
bulb or reduce its life if I use that configuration. Does anyone have
expertise in this area that can offer me some advice?

I have the VistalLite NS2 - HYP 15. It come as one headlight and two
batteries. I have used the light both ways, with one battery and
with two. The run time is shorter with one battery than with two. I
have never burned out a bulb. So I think you can use it which ever
way you want.

--
Tommy T

Old November 5th 03, 02:31 PM
ajames54

On 5 Nov 2003 12:22:00 +1050, tross45
wrote:

scottshields wrote:
I have a Vistalite Nightstick system with 2 NiMH batteries. The system
comes with a y splitter that I assume was designed to power two lamps
from one battery. I've tested mine in the reverse configuration, running
one lamp with two batteries and it works however I fear I may damage the
bulb or reduce its life if I use that configuration. Does anyone have
expertise in this area that can offer me some advice?

The Y- Splitter will allow you to run the two batteries in
parallel... no harm will come to the lamp...it does raise battery
life issues though. if they ran in series that would damage the
lamp.