Best seat

Old June 15th 08, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Topref[_2_]

Default Best seat

I need a new seat on my run-of-the-mill Dawes One-Track bike as I intend
doing quite a few miles in the next few months to help shed the pounds.
Can somone suggest a comfortable alternative to the one that hurts my
back-side at the moment?
Old June 15th 08, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:08:14 +0100
Topref wrote:

I need a new seat on my run-of-the-mill Dawes One-Track bike as I
intend doing quite a few miles in the next few months to help shed
the pounds. Can somone suggest a comfortable alternative to the one
that hurts my back-side at the moment?

It's such a personal thing that you really need to try for yourself -
what suits one person's anatomy can be totally unsuitable for someone
else. There are a few things to bear in mind, though:

Everyone will have a bit of a numb bum until they get enough saddle
miles to tone up a bit.

Discomfort can be caused by poor bike setup as much as a bad saddle -
the top of the saddle should be pretty much horizontal, its height
is fairly crucial too.

Wider softer saddles often aren't as comfortable in the long run as
narrower firmer ones.

Old June 16th 08, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Topref wrote:

I need a new seat on my run-of-the-mill Dawes One-Track bike as I
intend doing quite a few miles in the next few months to help shed
the pounds. Can somone suggest a comfortable alternative to the one
that hurts my back-side at the moment?

It's such a personal thing that you really need to try for yourself -
what suits one person's anatomy can be totally unsuitable for someone
else. There are a few things to bear in mind, though:

Everyone will have a bit of a numb bum until they get enough saddle
miles to tone up a bit.

Discomfort can be caused by poor bike setup as much as a bad saddle -
the top of the saddle should be pretty much horizontal, its height
is fairly crucial too.

Wider softer saddles often aren't as comfortable in the long run as
narrower firmer ones.

Agreed about soft saddles. BUT, saddle width is important, and its related
to the position of "sit" bones in backside. The width of sit bones is not
that closely related to bodysize. Mine are quite wide for a male, yet I am
really skinny.

Specialized dealers have a bit of memory-foam to work out sit bone width.
They use it to recommend saddles from their range, but armed with knowledge
about which Specialized saddle might fit and a tape measure, you can apply
the knowledge to any maker.

Other thing is to minimise road "buzz". Aluminium frame and aluminium post
strikes me as a bad combination. I put a titanium seat post on the best
bike and that killed a lot of road buzz. Carbon posts might also be
similarly effective, if the frame is suited to a carbon post (watch for
scratching or stress points which could weaken a carbon post).

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old June 16th 08, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:50:20 +0100
"Nigel Cliffe" wrote:

Agreed about soft saddles. BUT, saddle width is important, and its
related to the position of "sit" bones in backside. The width of sit
bones is not that closely related to bodysize. Mine are quite wide
for a male, yet I am really skinny.

Cor, look at the ischial tuberosities on that. :-)

Old June 16th 08, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Duncan Smith wrote:
On Jun 15, 10:08 pm, Topref wrote:
I need a new seat on my run-of-the-mill Dawes One-Track bike as I
intend doing quite a few miles in the next few months to help shed
the pounds. Can somone suggest a comfortable alternative to the one
that hurts my back-side at the moment?

Brooks B17.

I refer to the earlier posts about picking a saddle suited to one's backside
shape.

B17's are too narrow for me.
(Anyone want to buy a B17 with springs, I forget the model name, or swap for
a B66/67).

Old June 16th 08, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon[_2_]

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote in message

(Anyone want to buy a B17 with springs, I forget the model name, or swap
for a B66/67).

Very tempting but then I'd have to buy a bike to fit the saddle ;-)

Old June 17th 08, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Topref[_2_]

vernon wrote:
"Nigel Cliffe" wrote in message
(Anyone want to buy a B17 with springs, I forget the model name, or swap
for a B66/67).

Very tempting but then I'd have to buy a bike to fit the saddle ;-)

Thanks for all your input - suck it 'n see then!
Old June 17th 08, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , Nigel Cliffe wrote:

B17's are too narrow for me.
(Anyone want to buy a B17 with springs, I forget the model name

Flyer? http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/s...oks-flyer.html
How much are you asking for it?
Old June 17th 08, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Alan Braggins wrote:

In article , Nigel Cliffe wrote:

B17's are too narrow for me.
(Anyone want to buy a B17 with springs, I forget the model name

Flyer? http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/s...oks-flyer.html
How much are you asking for it?

Swap it for one of these http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html ?

:-)