Titanium

Old February 14th 04, 01:07 AM
showard

Default Titanium

Sometimes I have too much fun!

Some time ago I decided to make some Profile splined hubs. The hubs
turned out just so-so ... the fit between the splines on the axle and
the splines in the crank is touchy and hard to control. I've given up
on making Profile splines for now but I'm still tinkering with other
ideas.

During my "Profile Phase" I made a titanium axle with Profile splines.
I don't have much experience machining titanium and the splines didn't
turn out well. This axle sat on the shelf until last weekend when I was
making an axle with square tapers and decided to try re-machining the ti
axle to a square taper.

The machining went pretty well so I decided to make a whole hub - axle
and hub shell. As usual, I photographed the various machining steps and
put them in 'this gallery' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Ti)

I'm not done with the hub. I still have to drill the shell for the
spokes, make a key for the keyway and assemble it. The remnants of the
Profile splines are kind of weird and that's where the bearings will be.
I'm not sure if I'll press a 40mm o.d. x .750" i.d. bearing on the
splines or turn the splined area down to 17mm for a 40mm x 17mm
bearing.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with this hub after it's done
but I have an idea ... stay tuned!

SH

--
showard - ------
showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452

Old February 14th 04, 01:21 AM
U-Turn

So cool. I love to see the shots of the lathe working.

--
U-Turn - There has got to be a better way...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

'Unatics Website' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

-- Dave Stockton

Old February 14th 04, 01:23 AM
scot

Hey Steve

I have decided to beef up a Coker for 24 Hours of Adrenaline. That hub
might be over-kill, but I had been considering the double-wide Suzue
until I saw your thread. Will your Ti hub fit a Coker frame. I have a
custom chromoly frame, but it's dimensions are the same as the stock.

--
scot - impatient procrastinator

stick with what works

scot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/992

Old February 14th 04, 02:08 PM
Frank A.

Steve,
I concur, you are having way too much fun!

As always, thanks for showing the step by step pics. It's great to be
able to see these things as they come "to life". Will the spindle/shell
connection be a press fit or will you be using some sort of bonding
substance?
A shop like that is one of my "Lottery Dreams".

- Frank

--
Frank A. - off-road

"Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child
at play." - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

Frank A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1710

Old February 14th 04, 02:34 PM
chirokid

Steve, that is one sweet gallery. Watching you work from Profile to
Square was awesome. What is the hub material? --chirokid--

--
chirokid

Someone once said there is really little difference between people - but
that little difference makes a great deal of difference.
chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old February 14th 04, 03:04 PM
Sofa

That's pretty fancy!

Question:

Why do you need a 2 piece hub? Would having it all one piece solve
those keyway issues?

Is it weightsavings?

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.0

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old February 14th 04, 04:54 PM
S_Wallis

Frank A. wrote:
*Steve,

... A shop like that is one of my "Lottery Dreams".

- Frank *

Frank, your stable of custom unicycles is a "lottery dream" for most of
us!

And yes Steve, thanks for sharing.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - Riding with a limp

"I am always doing that which I can not do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old February 14th 04, 05:49 PM
Frank A.

S_Wallis wrote:
*Frank, your stable of custom unicycles is a "lottery dream" for most
of us!
Scott *

Scott,
That was funny, I guess you got me there. Actually, my 26"
Hunter/Profile Muni was what I bought with my share of the winnings from
a 5 out of 6 number LOTTO ticket I won with a few of the guys at work.

I'm trying so hard to limit myself to four uni's but with all this
cool stuff going on it's tough!... must...stop....

- Frank