A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

CCTV shows boy, 4, mown down by cyclist



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 2nd 17, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
doug
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default CCTV shows boy, 4, mown down by cyclist

Obviously the child's fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-41842047
Ads
  #2  
Old November 2nd 17, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,976
Default CCTV shows boy, 4, mown down by cyclist

On 02/11/2017 22:27, doug wrote:

Obviously the child's fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-41842047


This was published a few days ago, wasn't it?

The offence of which the cyclist was convicted ("causing bodily harm by
wilful misconduct when driving") seems to be "The Alliston Charge", with
the misconduct here being riding in a pedestrianised precinct where no
cycling is allowed and pedestrians - even four year old ones - have a
reasonable expectation of not encountering louts on bikes.

The 27 weeks in prison sentence seems to support that view, too. At
last, the rights of other road-users (if you can call a pedestrian area
a road) seem to be taken seriously by the courts.

Other misconduct giving rise to the same charge in other incidents where
harm is caused might consist of things like cycling the wrong way in a
one way street or disobeying traffic signs and signals.
  #3  
Old November 3rd 17, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,698
Default CCTV shows boy, 4, mown down by cyclist

On 02/11/2017 22:59, JNugent wrote:
On 02/11/2017 22:27, doug wrote:

Obviously the child's fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-41842047


This was published a few days ago, wasn't it?

The offence of which the cyclist was convicted ("causing bodily harm by
wilful misconduct when driving") seems to be "The Alliston Charge", with
the misconduct here being riding in a pedestrianised precinct where no
cycling is allowed and pedestrians - even four year old ones - have a
reasonable expectation of not encountering louts on bikes.

The 27 weeks in prison sentence seems to support that view, too. At
last, the rights of other road-users (if you can call a pedestrian area
a road) seem to be taken seriously by the courts.

Other misconduct giving rise to the same charge in other incidents where
harm is caused might consist of things like cycling the wrong way in a
one way street or disobeying traffic signs and signals.


Also he had been warned the day before about illegal cycling.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #4  
Old November 3rd 17, 01:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,976
Default CCTV shows boy, 4, mown down by cyclist

On 02/11/2017 23:39, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 02/11/2017 22:59, JNugent wrote:
On 02/11/2017 22:27, doug wrote:

Obviously the child's fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-41842047


This was published a few days ago, wasn't it?

The offence of which the cyclist was convicted ("causing bodily harm
by wilful misconduct when driving") seems to be "The Alliston Charge",
with the misconduct here being riding in a pedestrianised precinct
where no cycling is allowed and pedestrians - even four year old ones
- have a reasonable expectation of not encountering louts on bikes.

The 27 weeks in prison sentence seems to support that view, too. At
last, the rights of other road-users (if you can call a pedestrian
area a road) seem to be taken seriously by the courts.

Other misconduct giving rise to the same charge in other incidents
where harm is caused might consist of things like cycling the wrong
way in a one way street or disobeying traffic signs and signals.


Also he had been warned the day before about illegal cycling.


"No Cycling" and "No Vehicles" signs don't apply to bikes.
  #5  
Old November 3rd 17, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,668
Default CCTV shows boy, 4, mown down by cyclist

On 03.11.2017 11:59, JNugent wrote:
On 02/11/2017 22:27, doug wrote:

Obviously the child's fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-41842047


This was published a few days ago, wasn't it?

The offence of which the cyclist was convicted ("causing bodily harm by
wilful misconduct when driving") seems to be "The Alliston Charge", with
the misconduct here being riding in a pedestrianised precinct where no
cycling is allowed and pedestrians - even four year old ones - have a
reasonable expectation of not encountering louts on bikes.

The 27 weeks in prison sentence seems to support that view, too. At
last, the rights of other road-users (if you can call a pedestrian area
a road) seem to be taken seriously by the courts.


In these parts a "road" is defined as "anywhere to which the public has
access".
Including beaches, parks, meadows, mountain tracks etc.

Other misconduct giving rise to the same charge in other incidents where
harm is caused might consist of things like cycling the wrong way in a
one way street or disobeying traffic signs and signals.


  #6  
Old November 3rd 17, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,976
Default CCTV shows boy, 4, mown down by cyclist

On 03/11/2017 09:45, Peter Keller wrote:
On 03.11.2017 11:59, JNugent wrote:
On 02/11/2017 22:27, doug wrote:

Obviously the child's fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-41842047


This was published a few days ago, wasn't it?

The offence of which the cyclist was convicted ("causing bodily harm by
wilful misconduct when driving") seems to be "The Alliston Charge", with
the misconduct here being riding in a pedestrianised precinct where no
cycling is allowed and pedestrians - even four year old ones - have a
reasonable expectation of not encountering louts on bikes.

The 27 weeks in prison sentence seems to support that view, too. At
last, the rights of other road-users (if you can call a pedestrian area
a road) seem to be taken seriously by the courts.


In these parts a "road" is defined as "anywhere to which the public has
access".
Including beaches, parks, meadows, mountain tracks etc.


It's the same here, but this, of course, is for the purpose of defining
offences committed in such locations as coming under the Road Traffic
Acts. It isn't meant to state or suggest that a beach, park, meadow or
mountain track is a road.

If there ever was a place where it ought to be safe to allow a four year
old "off the leash", the definition ought to include locations where all
traffic is banned.

Other misconduct giving rise to the same charge in other incidents where
harm is caused might consist of things like cycling the wrong way in a
one way street or disobeying traffic signs and signals.



  #7  
Old November 3rd 17, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,800
Default CCTV shows boy, 4, mown down by cyclist

doug wrote:
Obviously the child's fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-41842047


27 weeks in jail :-) Warned the day before and he ignored the warning.
Typical thick cyclist.
I hope that prison hurts him. I really do.
I also hope that when this arsehole is released he has been evicted from his
council flat for not paying the rent.
Or, can you still claim dole when you are in prison?
We all know that most cyclists are on the dole.
Just imagine on your CV putting cycling down as a hobby. Into the bin goes
the CV.


  #8  
Old November 4th 17, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,244
Default CCTV shows boy, 4, mown down by cyclist

On Friday, November 3, 2017 at 7:22:11 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
doug wrote:
Obviously the child's fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-41842047


27 weeks in jail


Seems rather harsh when, for the same offence, a motorist would get a £60 fine at most.
And that would be if the 'it was just a momentary lapse of concentration' or the 'I pay rudetax' defences failed.
  #9  
Old November 4th 17, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,101
Default CCTV shows boy, 4, mown down by cyclist

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 07:43:03 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester
wrote:

Seems rather harsh when, for the same offence, a motorist would get a 60 fine at most.


For driving through a pedestrian only shopping area and running
someone down in the process? Seems unlikely.

  #10  
Old November 4th 17, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,244
Default CCTV shows boy, 4, mown down by cyclist

On Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 4:08:53 PM UTC, Peter Parry wrote:
On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 07:43:03 -0700 (PDT), Simon Jester
wrote:

Seems rather harsh when, for the same offence, a motorist would get a £60 fine at most.


For driving through a pedestrian only shopping area and running
someone down in the process? Seems unlikely.


True, the driver would most unlikely to even be fined.
A custodial sentence is out of the question.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Police issue CCTV of road rage cyclist Mrcheerful UK 2 November 27th 15 03:58 PM
RLJ cyclist mown down by SUV Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 29 December 23rd 12 12:14 PM
CCTV of the scene shows the cyclist going over the handlebars Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 1 August 21st 12 12:55 AM
Another OAP mown down by a cyclist on the pavement Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 45 September 25th 11 07:30 PM
another old guy mown down by a cyclist Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 1 April 22nd 11 08:30 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.