AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 29th 19, 05:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Goshen Man Injured While Riding Bicycle

From News Now on Monday, 12 August 2019:
A Goshen man is in critical condition after he was struck by a vehicle
while riding his bicycle.

It happened late Thursday afternoon in the 11000 block of Pierce Road
in Madison Township. Investigators say a Jeep driven by a 30-year-old
woman was traveling westbound on Pierce Road and collided with the
back of the bicycle. The 49-year-old bicyclist was wearing a helmet at
the time, but the helmet came off after he was struck.

The victim was airlifted to the hospital with a serious head injury.
The driver is cooperating with investigators. Alcohol and speed are
not believed to be factors.

Note that the man was not wearing a helmet -- he was wearing a
helmet-shaped head decoration. Actual helmets come with chin straps
that can be adjusted to keep the helmet in place during acceleration.

The investigation must be complete by now, but there is never any
follow-up to crash stories unless one of the participants is the
target of wide-spread hate. The only one I recall off-hand is the
incident that inspired the almost-readable poster I saw today. Since
I'd seen a picture of the lawn sign in the news, and because I was on
a bicycle, I knew that it was urging drivers zooming past at four
times my speed and distance to refrain from passing school busses when
their lights are flashing and their stop signs are out.

And then the follow-up wasn't on "how did it happen?" but on "is she
in jail yet?".

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net