When to change the tire

Old June 20th 04, 10:10 PM
Jose Capco

Default When to change the tire

Dear NG,

I have repaired tiretubes many times, but it took me lots of years to realize
that I am always doing it wrongly. Whenever puting the patched tube back I
always you a screwdriver to lever the tire and force the last part of the tire
inside. This I believe always pinches or punctures a hole through the tube...
no wonder sometimes I wonder why in the world the tire is again punctured when
I just repaired it a few hours ago.

Lately, I realized that there is actually a thing called a bike tire lever. I
have never tried it, but I will this time. But I am already almost sick of
putting the tire tube out and then back in. I want to make sure that this time
when I put the tube in, I can really ride the bike for some months before it
will be punctured again. So to make sure I want to ask for some help here.

Because of my abuse in tire repair, the tire itself developed a slit (when I
pry it with the screw driver sometimes it slips and rubs through the rim of the
tire causing it to wear). I wonder now if I have to change the tire itself. I
earlier bought a tube, then when I put it back (before learning about putting
those tire levers) I attempted to do everything by finger (so I wont damage the
tube like before, coz I realize that the screw driver will not help me) after
checking that the tire is clean and has no stone or sharp thing in it. The last
part I had to do a little with the screw driver but I made really sure that I
will not puncture the tube (then I suddenly discovered these tire levers in our
workshop.. too late!). But then I realize one thing... the tube is for 28"
tire but it was like 2 inch bigger than the tire size... is this normal? I mean
should the tube diameter be bigger than the tire?.. the shopkeeper didnt even
ask me what size.. he just looked at my tire and at once gave me the tube. On
my original tube is written 35/47-622/635 .. I am just guessing that the first
numbers correspond to the diameter and the last to the pressure (I am now
living in Germany and the standards may be different here). .. so my question
is.. is the 28" tube the right one for this tire? I just find it wierd that the
tube is a few inches bigger than the tire.

Well anyway.. so when I put this new tube in the tire and pumped it (I forced
the extra inch of the tube inside too!), the tire bulged out of the slit that
was in my tire. Then I was muttering to myself "Oh.. maybe I should buy a new
tire too". But I thought that maybe I leave this pumped tire for a day and
rest. The next day, the tube was punctured! .. so I am guessing now that (as I
was careful with the screw driver) this could be either because of the slit in
my tire or because maybe that the tube is bigger ... I don't know yet and I
dont want to yet spend money for the tire until I know exactly what I should do
(I have been riding this bike for 3 years without changing the tube or tire and
have travelled around 5400km already).

Sorry for the long post and next time I hope I wont trouble you with such
trifles.

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

Old June 20th 04, 11:33 PM

On 20 Jun 2004 21:10:37 GMT, domain (Jose Capco)
wrote:

[...]

To start with try buying extra thick thorn resistant tubes they are
less problematic. Secondly you should inflate the tube slightly
inside the tire before rolling the last bead over the rim. this will
ensure that the tube is not buckling anywhere. Deflate the tube and
work the bead over the rim with your fingers, it will help if the bead
at the bottom of the wheel is temporarily pulled deep into the center
of the rim. Check that you are not pinching the tube between the tire
bead and the wheel rim with whatever tool you are using to lever over
the last bit.
Old June 21st 04, 12:37 AM
Jose Capco

To start with try buying extra thick thorn resistant tubes they are
less problematic. Secondly you should inflate the tube slightly
inside the tire before rolling the last bead over the rim. this will
ensure that the tube is not buckling anywhere. Deflate the tube and
work the bead over the rim with your fingers, it will help if the bead
at the bottom of the wheel is temporarily pulled deep into the center
of the rim. Check that you are not pinching the tube between the tire
bead and the wheel rim with whatever tool you are using to lever over
the last bit.

Ok great. But what about the tire with the slit? should I keep using it? The
tube bulges out of the slit when I pump it and I am afraid it will pinch it (or
it can easily have contact with the asphalt road and just get punctured by mere
abrasion).

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

PS: How can I know if the tube is an "extra thick thorn resitant tube"? And
how much more will it cost compared to just a normal tube.

Old June 21st 04, 12:51 AM
Ian S

"Jose Capco" wrote in message

[...]

Get a new tire. A tube should never protrude like that. The tube is not
designed to come in direct contact with the road!

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

PS: How can I know if the tube is an "extra thick thorn resitant tube"?

And
how much more will it cost compared to just a normal tube.

Thorn-resistant tubes are advertised as such. You need to use tire levers
very carefully when putting the tube/tire assembly on the rim. See
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html for more info.

Old June 21st 04, 12:53 AM
Dan Daniel

On 20 Jun 2004 23:37:23 GMT, domain (Jose Capco)
wrote:

Ok great. But what about the tire with the slit? should I keep using it? The
tube bulges out of the slit when I pump it and I am afraid it will pinch it (or
it can easily have contact with the asphalt road and just get punctured by mere
abrasion).

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

You need to either 'boot' the slit or throw out the tire. You can put
duct tape over the slit. But this is best seen as temporary.

If it was me, I'd call the whole thing a learning experience and start
over. Get new tubes and tires. Use the slit tire for practicing
getting the tube and tire on.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQtires.shtml

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

http://members.aol.com/biketune/flat.htm

I am not sure that thorn-proof tires would be of help since you are
puncturing in installation, not riding. Ask at the bike shop what
others use in your area. From what you write, there are some basic
mistakes that you are making. With just a little more practice and
attention, this whole thing will be behind you soon and you can get
back to riding!
Old June 21st 04, 06:15 PM
Doki

Jose Capco wrote:
[...]

Bike tyre tubes aren't strong enough to hold the 60psi upwards you pump them
up to unless they're contained within a tyre. I'd say it's almost certainly
gone because there's a slit in the tyre. As for getting tyres on and off, at
a push I use the handles of tablespoons, as they at least have blunt edges.
Some tyres are a lot easier to get on and off than others too - I can easily
get Schwalbe City Jets on and off my 26" MTB wheels by hand, with no tools.

Old June 22nd 04, 12:13 AM
Jose Capco

You should be able to install a tire w/o any tools. If you cannot,
get a different tire/rim combination. With practice, many tires can
be removed w/o tools either.

I surely need to use the wrench to remove the tire off the bike
You probably meant it for the bikes that have easy removable tire (forgot the
name of it).

Sincerely,
Jose

Old July 1st 04, 03:19 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old July 1st 04, 05:30 PM
Steve Shapiro

Originally posted by Jose Capco Dear NG,

I have repaired tiretubes many times, but it took me lots of years to
realize that I am always doing it wrongly. Whenever puting the patched
tube back I always you a screwdriver to lever the tire and force the
last part of the tire inside. This I believe always pinches or punctures
a hole through the tube... snip

There is one tool that you can use to help INSTALL tires. It is called a
tire jack and it looks like this:
http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/tools/19045.html

My wife has arthritis and lacks the hand strength to install a tire, so
she carries one. It works for her wheel / tire combination. Frankly
though, I do not think it is a well-made tool and I would not be
surprised if it failed during hard use on very tight tires. By the way,
I can get her tire on her rim fairly easily with no tools. That’s the
key; if you have normal hand strength you can mount most tires without
using tools. So, I second the suggestion by previous posters that you
read how to install tires and practice a few times. Here is a link to
the FAQ area with instructions on how to mount a tire (tyre as
misspelled by our friends across the Atlantic.)
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.2.html

If you have a good local bike shop and you bring in your wheel,
they should help you find a tire that fits and suits your riding
and $$ needs.

Good luck. Steve Shapiro