Disc Wheels

Old September 11th 04, 05:11 AM
Thomps

Default Disc Wheels

I have a chance to buy a set of MTB wheels, but they're set up for disc
brake use. Is there any reason I can't use them with caliper brakes?
Also, are disc wheels inherently stronger/less strong due to their
different amount of dish?

Thanks all,

Thomps.
Old September 11th 04, 05:37 AM
S o r n i

Thomps wrote:
I have a chance to buy a set of MTB wheels, but they're set up for
disc brake use. Is there any reason I can't use them with caliper
brakes?

Yes. No braking surfaces.

Bill "unless rare 'dual-use' wheels?" S.

Old September 11th 04, 05:38 AM
Sheldon Brown

Thomps wrote:

I have a chance to buy a set of MTB wheels, but they're set up for disc
brake use. Is there any reason I can't use them with caliper brakes?

Depends on the specific rims used. Some rims are "disc specific" and
not intended to work with rim brakes, but many disc wheels are built
with normal rims.

If the rims say "disc" anywhere on them, they're probably not suitable
for rim brakes. If not, probably OK

Also, are disc wheels inherently stronger/less strong due to their
different amount of dish?

The front would theoretically be a bit weaker, but most front wheels are
way stronger than they need to be anyhoo.

Sheldon "Disco" Brown
| According to the latest official figures, |
| 43% of all statistics are totally worthless. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old September 11th 04, 05:38 AM
S o r n i

S o r n i wrote:
Thomps wrote:
I have a chance to buy a set of MTB wheels, but they're set up for
disc brake use. Is there any reason I can't use them with caliper
brakes?

Yes. No braking surfaces.

Ooops. Forgot about disk hubs w/regular rims.

Bill "never mind" S.

Old September 11th 04, 05:58 AM
Werehatrack

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:11:15 -0500, Thomps
wrote:

I have a chance to buy a set of MTB wheels, but they're set up for disc
brake use. Is there any reason I can't use them with caliper brakes?

It will depend on the rims. Some MTB rims don't have the flats for
conventional brakes.

Also, are disc wheels inherently stronger/less strong due to their
different amount of dish?

In theory, they are potentially more susceptible to lateral collapse.
In practice, you are not likely to see any difference.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old September 11th 04, 05:58 AM
Werehatrack

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 04:37:34 GMT, "S o r n i"
wrote:

Thomps wrote:
I have a chance to buy a set of MTB wheels, but they're set up for
disc brake use. Is there any reason I can't use them with caliper
brakes?

Yes. No braking surfaces.

Bill "unless rare 'dual-use' wheels?" S.

Not all that rare. I've had two sets.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

FS: Disc wheels & brakes Randy Marketplace 0 November 9th 04 09:04 PM
disc brakes - new wheels ? David UK 8 August 12th 04 10:18 AM
Fuel 90 Disc Vs. Jekyll 600 Disc Vs. NRS Disc Dave S. Mountain Biking 9 February 23rd 04 05:52 PM
Why are the wheels big? Why not tiny wheels? Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli General 45 November 5th 03 09:25 PM
F/S LEW graphite 650c Tubular Wheels Marketplace 0 July 31st 03 08:00 PM