Continental Rim Tape

Old September 12th 04, 03:15 PM
balfey

Default Continental Rim Tape

I'm going to replace the rim tape on my road wheels with Continental ri
tape

Can anyone offer any tips on how to go about this job since I've neve
done it before. Specifically, how do you go about cutting the hole fo
the valve? Is it just a case of cutting it with a craft knife or i
there a special tool for the job

Also I'd like to know whether people have had good/bad experiences wit
this tape

Thank

--
balfey

Old September 12th 04, 04:31 PM
Warren Block

balfey wrote:

I'm going to replace the rim tape on my road wheels with Continental rim
tape.

Can anyone offer any tips on how to go about this job since I've never
done it before. Specifically, how do you go about cutting the hole for
the valve? Is it just a case of cutting it with a craft knife or is
there a special tool for the job?

A paper punch cuts a nice round hole about the right size.

Old September 12th 04, 05:29 PM
Dan Daniel

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:15:45 +1000, balfey
wrote:

I'm going to replace the rim tape on my road wheels with Continental rim
tape.

Can anyone offer any tips on how to go about this job since I've never
done it before. Specifically, how do you go about cutting the hole for
the valve? Is it just a case of cutting it with a craft knife or is
there a special tool for the job?

Also I'd like to know whether people have had good/bad experiences with
this tape?

Thanks

I don't know anything about this tape per se, but with Velox rim tape,
i've just left it short of the valve hole on both sides when I get
pieces without holes punched in. I've never noticed any problems from
doing this.
Old September 12th 04, 08:20 PM
m-gineering

balfey wrote:

I'm going to replace the rim tape on my road wheels with Continental rim
tape.

Can anyone offer any tips on how to go about this job since I've never
done it before. Specifically, how do you go about cutting the hole for
the valve? Is it just a case of cutting it with a craft knife or is
there a special tool for the job?

Also I'd like to know whether people have had good/bad experiences with
this tape?

Thanks

--
balfey

not to excited, as it wrinkles: it doesn't like the double curvature of
a rim. For4 a valvehole just punch it with a small screwdriver or my
favorite workshoptool, the triangular bearing scraper.
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old September 13th 04, 03:51 AM
Werehatrack

wrote:

I'm going to replace the rim tape on my road wheels with Continental rim
tape.

Can anyone offer any tips on how to go about this job since I've never
done it before. Specifically, how do you go about cutting the hole for
the valve? Is it just a case of cutting it with a craft knife or is
there a special tool for the job?

Also I'd like to know whether people have had good/bad experiences with
this tape?

I haven't used it, but I've replaced it on one bike; it was sort of
bunched up in one spot and didn't seem to want to lay in the valley of
the rim. I wasn't sure if it was due to sloppy installation or if the
tape was just wonky; could have been either. I prefer Velox tape,
which comes with a prepunched hole if you don't buy the big bulk
rolls. When using unpunched tape, I either use a paper punch (for
Prestas) or a gasket punch (for Shraders). Gasket punches, of course,
are not exactly part of the standard bike tech tool kit.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.