I keep crashing - need some help.

Old July 23rd 08, 04:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Javier

Default I keep crashing - need some help.

Hey guys,

I've been mountain biking for a few weeks and I seem to be having
trouble with two things. I crash when I'm either climbing a hill that
has a lot of rocks or obstacles and when I going down the same hill.
It seems that uphill I lose momentum, my front tire hangs on a rock or
other obstacle and down I go.

One the downhills I'm fighting a constant battle between speed and
control. I try to maintain a steady speed but when there are a lot of
rocks near each other and the bikes front-end is bouncing I lose
control of my bike and down I go.

Uphill I either sit or stand depending on what feels better. On the
downhill’s I always stand with my butt either directly over or just
behind my saddle, knees and elbows are bent and relaxed.

Bike:
My bike isn't the best but it's all I could afford, I'm riding a Trek
4300. It’s stock except for the Shimano SPD pedals and Panaracer Fire
XC Pro tires. I know the shock on the bike isn't the greatest and
maybe that has something to do with it. My plan is to either save up
and buy a full suspension rig or upgrade the fork as I really do like
the frame. But this will take at least a year or two. Besides, the
bike has taken a beating and keeps on going.

Terrain:
Ramapo Mountain trails off Skyline drive in Oakland.

I weigh about 145 pounds 5’5”.

Thanks,

Javier

Old July 23rd 08, 06:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Javier wrote:
[...]

Well, first of all it's rarely the bike. I'd work on technique first.
In both cases (climbing and descending) you need to have an active body.
Don't just ride the bike, drive it and use your body to control how it
leans or reacts to obstacles.

Do the majority of your braking with the front brake. If that makes you
feel like you're going over the bars then you need to put your weight
back more over your rear wheel. That being said if something has a steep
transition or is likely to stop you then you may need to briefly let go
of the brakes and lean back to get the front wheel over whatever it is.
Then reign the speed back in again with that front brake when you've
passed it. If part of your problem is your rear wheel skidding on
descents, then you aren't using the front brake and/or weighting the
rear enough.

I also try and do all my technical climbing in the middle ring and out
of the saddle if possible. It gives more power per stroke and makes it
easier to generate power when you're out of the saddle. A fast spin up
something technical is asking to bash a pedal and is very hard to do
unless you are seated.

Also, riding with someone better than you always helps. Follow their
lines and watch how they use their body to achieve balance and control.

Finally, you say you have been riding a few weeks. That isn't very long.
Maybe you just need to get more time on the bike to feel more
comfortable. Perhaps there is an easier slope to work on basics before
repeatedly falling on a harder one? We all have to walk something now
and then. Better to walk and ride another day than fall and get hurt!

Good luck!

Matt (hanging out at spokejunkies.com with other AM-B old-timers more
lately)
Old July 23rd 08, 07:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Javier

Hi Matt,

I figured it was me and not the bike. I've been mainly on a road bike
for three years as I had no-one to go mountain biking with, but now
that I was able to get a few of my freinds interested we've been
hitting the trails.

I do use both brakes but apply more pressure to the front brake rather
than the rear, however using the rear brake to any degree could be
part of the problem. I do have a habit of using a high cadence as I
usually spin at 100-120 rpm on my road bike. Although on the mountina
bike I try and keep it much lower.

Javier

lately)- Hide quoted text -

Old July 23rd 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Javier wrote:
Hi Matt,

I figured it was me and not the bike. I've been mainly on a road bike
for three years as I had no-one to go mountain biking with, but now
that I was able to get a few of my freinds interested we've been
hitting the trails.

I do use both brakes but apply more pressure to the front brake rather
than the rear, however using the rear brake to any degree could be
part of the problem. I do have a habit of using a high cadence as I
usually spin at 100-120 rpm on my road bike. Although on the mountina
bike I try and keep it much lower.

Well on a longer climb higher cadence can be more efficient if you are a
spinner. Just for technical stuff, I prefer the power of a harder gear
with lower cadence. Then I'll spin up longer more gradual stuff to keep
it varied.

You need to use the rear brake some, it _is_ there for a reason. But if
the rear wheel is sliding then it's probably too much. I figure 80%
front works well for me in most cases.

Matt
Old July 23rd 08, 09:38 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Javier

On Jul 23, 3:25*pm, MattB wrote:
Javier wrote:
[...]

I'll try laying off the rear break, I'll bet I'm using it more than I
think.
Old July 24th 08, 01:24 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
OzCableguy

"Javier" wrote in message
[...]

What tyre pressures are you running?

--
www.ozcableguy.com

Old July 24th 08, 04:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:45:39 -0700 (PDT), Javier
wrote:

Hey guys,

I've been mountain biking for a few weeks and I seem to be having
trouble with two things. I crash when I'm either climbing a hill that
has a lot of rocks or obstacles and when I going down the same hill.
It seems that uphill I lose momentum, my front tire hangs on a rock or
other obstacle and down I go.

Stick to paved roads, where you can't do much harm

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 24th 08, 04:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
tom

On Jul 23, 8:30 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
snip

Ignore vandeman, and know that it's all a balancing act. If the front
tire lifts, you need more weight forward. if the back tire skids,
shift more weight towards the back. You're bike's probably fine. All
you need is technique. It'll come. Tom
Old July 24th 08, 02:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Jul 23, 8:24*pm, "OzCableguy" wrote:
"Javier" wrote in message

[...]

--www.ozcableguy.com- Hide quoted text -

This good be a good catch - being a roadie the OP may be inclined to
run the tires at the upper end of the pressure range. Lower end would
be a better call, especially for his weight.

Also,

I've been mountain biking for a few weeks and I seem to be having
trouble with two things. I crash when I'm either climbing a hill that
has a lot of rocks or obstacles and when I going down the same hill.
It seems that uphill I lose momentum, my front tire hangs on a rock or
other obstacle and down I go.

These sound like very low-speed hangups. Certainly cause to dab, but
not so much to fall. It may be a good idea to loosen the SPDs until
you're more used to mountain biking. I run my SPDs very tight on the
road, and pretty tight on normal trail riding, but when doing stuff
where I expect to fall often and fast (practicing obstacles in my
yard, for example) I run them very light so I can get out extra-quick.

As an aside, I'm seriously contemplating a set of platforms on my MTB
for some of the jumping & obstacle riding I've been playing with. I'd
still want the SPDs for lengthy rides, especially climbing, but when
basically using it as a glorified BMX I find myself disliking the
SPDs. I think the only reason I have not yet is because when I go to
get the platforms from the BMX it occurs to me that I should just use
the BMX bike for BMXing. Then I don't get the skills up on the MTB
for translation to the technical trails...
Old July 25th 08, 08:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Javier

Matt,

Thanks for the advice. I rode the same trails again and this time I
used my body to drive ther bike and hardly used the rear break. I only
came off the bike once in a four our ride.

Javier

Crashing David Waters Mountain Biking 2 June 19th 06 11:34 PM
Crashing At Home B. Lafferty Racing 6 June 9th 06 03:47 PM
Has Armstrong ever won without a rival crashing ? The Nottingham Duck UK 13 July 7th 05 12:03 AM
Clippless Pedals and Crashing Max Australia 22 October 27th 04 12:44 PM
crashing in the kilo Ronaldo Jeremiah Racing 9 September 21st 04 11:16 PM