Cyclist killed, driver cited for going too fast

Old October 10th 04, 11:46 PM
John

Default Cyclist killed, driver cited for going too fast

This is the latest article concerning a female cyclist that was struck
and killed by a 17 year old driver. Her riding partner was also hit
but survived. The article doesn't specifically say so, but I believe
they were on a tandem. The cyclist leaves behind a husband and 16
month old child.

http://www.nwanews.com/story.php?pap...&storyid=12911

The driver was determined to be travelling too fast for conditions
(directly into a setting sun). He was apparently exceeding the speed
limit by at least 20%.

http://www.nwanews.com/story.php?pap...&storyid=14851

This was the 2nd cyclist killed this year in the county. The other
was probably hit by a drunk illegal alien (a warrant was issued for
the suspect, but he most likely fled the country). That cyclist is
survived by a wife and 3 children.

http://www.nwanews.com/story.php?pap...&storyid=11677

Be careful out there.
Old October 12th 04, 06:21 PM
Mark Weaver

"John" wrote in message

The driver was determined to be travelling too fast for conditions
(directly into a setting sun). He was apparently exceeding the speed
limit by at least 20%.

Be careful out there.

One of the things I do is try to avoid riding in any kind of traffic while
heading toward a setting or rising sun. Too paranoid?

Mark

Old October 12th 04, 06:46 PM
marty_vee

I dont think you can be too paranoid while riding where there is auto
traffic.
Sun, reflections, water, whatever... All it takes is one person in
their own little world (or on a cell phone) to take you out before you
can say "OH Sh*t !!"

--
marty_vee

Old October 12th 04, 06:56 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Mark Weaver" wrote: One of the things I do is try to avoid riding in any
kind of traffic whileheading toward a setting or rising sun. Too paranoid?
^^^^^^^^^^^^
You're alive, aren't you? That's better than the alternative.

Old October 12th 04, 11:50 PM
Bill Baka

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:56:30 GMT, Leo Lichtman
wrote:

"Mark Weaver" wrote: One of the things I do is try to avoid riding in
any
kind of traffic whileheading toward a setting or rising sun. Too
paranoid?
^^^^^^^^^^^^
You're alive, aren't you? That's better than the alternative.

Here I go again. If the sun is directly in front of you then ride
on the wrong side of the road. I do and I just made it past 56.
I had to dive into a ditch this last week because the driver of
a big rig either didn't see me or didn't think I would make a
big enough dent in his truck to get convicted. I know this is
going to **** off the die hard "Follow the law" people, but I
am still alive even if, in their opinion, a lawbreaker.
Just use common sense.
Bill Baka

Old October 13th 04, 01:09 AM
Rich Clark

"Mark Weaver" wrote in message

One of the things I do is try to avoid riding in any kind of traffic while
heading toward a setting or rising sun. Too paranoid?

It does add another layer of challenge, for sure; taking the lane becomes
particularly risky.

But my whole riding style is based on the belief that nobody can see me; it
makes little material difference if they're blinded by the sun or distracted
by their cell phone. You've always got to know where you're going to bail
out if you have to, and you never let a car get within striking distance
unless you know where you'll go if he makes a sudden move.

RichC

Old October 13th 04, 08:17 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I ride with traffic. You sometimes ride counter to traffic. I've been riding
for at least as long as you and I've had to "dive" off the road exactly once
in
all that time while this is your second "I had to dive into the ditch" post
*this year*.
Take your own advice. Use common sense.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

When the sun is low in the sky, and bright, such as this time of the year in my
bit of the UK, and I have to cycle 'into' the sun, I have my rear lights *on* -
and one in a flashing mode. Just helps make me that bit more visible.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old October 13th 04, 04:40 PM
dgk

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:09:59 -0400, "Rich Clark"
wrote:

"Mark Weaver" wrote in message

One of the things I do is try to avoid riding in any kind of traffic while
heading toward a setting or rising sun. Too paranoid?

It does add another layer of challenge, for sure; taking the lane becomes
particularly risky.

But my whole riding style is based on the belief that nobody can see me; it
makes little material difference if they're blinded by the sun or distracted
by their cell phone. You've always got to know where you're going to bail
out if you have to, and you never let a car get within striking distance
unless you know where you'll go if he makes a sudden move.

RichC

The first part of my commute home is through midtown Manhattan. A very
interesting place to ride.