"Do not feed the dinosaur! Ride a bike!"

Old February 19th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dane Buson

Default cars get the lion's share

In rec.bicycles.misc Sancho Panza wrote:
"Baxter" wrote in message

Ice Walker Cleats by Covell Covell Ice Walker cleats are easy on;
Snow and Ice Traction Cleats

Scandinavian bicycle tire manufacturer Nokian makes carbide-studded "ice"

Does anyone know how many of these are sold in the U.S.?

Err, pretty much all of them? The shoe ice-cleats are standard
equipment for certain types of outdoorsy winter people. I've seen them
in person at my local REI. The studded bike are available by mailorder.
None of my local shops carry them that I know of, but Peter White
cyclery and some others do ship them.

--
Dane Buson -
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he
Old February 19th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dane Buson

In rec.bicycles.misc Sancho Panza wrote:
"nash" wrote in message
You want to ride your bike in 20 degree temperatures and 20 mile an
hour winds with ice and salty slushy crap all over the roads, you be
my guest. I'll stick with the car; heart disease is the least of my
worries under those conditions.
-- ,

I do not think we get heart disease from driving or taking transit in foul
weather. I am talking about over the years 99% of the time drivers could
have walked to the corner grocery and not taken a humvee.

Sure, the corner grocery is more than two miles away and I've got three or
four bags of groceries to carry back. Got a good way to do that?

Absolutely. I can take six full sacks by myself. Only four plus two
jugs of milk if I'm carrying my five year old along.

http://xtracycle.com

http://unixbigots.org/files/xtracycle_girls-01.jpg

Of course, if you're routinely carrying more than a couple hundred
pounds of cargo, you might look into a stokemonkey.

--
Dane Buson -
We use Linux for all our mission-critical applications. Having the source code
Old February 20th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

donquijote1954 wrote:

On Feb 16, 9:23 pm, "Jack May" wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

ps.com...

But the good news is the facts are on our side and an ounce of
truth trumps a tonne of lies. Given the choice, most people opt for
carfree experiences: speedy tram trips, vacations in Venice, strolls
to local markets, and public gathering places free from motor
vehicles. The challenge then is to promote existing carfree otions and
to create new ones.

You really should wait to until you come down from you drug high before
posting insane gibberish

You forget two important words: GIVEN THE CHOICE. People often do none
of the above because they don't have a choice. Same thing for riding a
bike...

"The culture is so geared to motor vehicles, it's oppressive," says
Craig Barnes, events coordinator of Transportation Alternatives, the
nonprofit group that organizes Bike Week, with sponsorship from the
city's Department of Transportation. "It's a real catch-22. People say
they'd bike if they saw more infrastructure, like bike lanes, parking,
traffic law enforcement, but city planners and politicians say they
won't give more until they see a need for it. Who's going to make the
first move? We try to link these two things."

There's a nice scenic road around a nearby island. In order to
accommodate cycle traffic, the city marked off a cycle lane along one
side of the road. Due to the width of the road (very narrow), they
couldn't manage to put a lane on either side. So, in order to
circumnavigate the island, you've got to go around clockwise.

On a few nice weekend days, I've taken my bicycle around the loop.
Riding clockwise, using the bicycle trail. Oddly enough, I'd say that
about 95% of the rest of the cycle traffic takes the loop
counter-clockwise. This places them on the side of the road with no
trail where they have to block traffic. In addition, I get quite a few
dirty looks and a few comments about riding 'the wrong way'.

As far as I can tell, when riding recreationally, it doesn't matter
which way one rides and I'd rather use the cycle lane. Unless of course,
your form of recreation happens to be blocking traffic.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Sleep is for wimps. Happy, healthy, well-rested wimps, but wimps
Old February 20th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Jack May

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 16, 9:23 pm, "Jack May" wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

ps.com...

"The culture is so geared to motor vehicles, it's oppressive," says
Craig Barnes, events coordinator of Transportation Alternatives, the
nonprofit group that organizes Bike Week, with sponsorship from the
city's Department of Transportation. "It's a real catch-22. People say
they'd bike if they saw more infrastructure, like bike lanes, parking,
traffic law enforcement, but city planners and politicians say they
won't give more until they see a need for it. Who's going to make the
first move? We try to link these two things."

You know, cars get the lion's share...

Actually transit gets the majority of the transportation dollars in major
cities while transporting only a small fraction of the commuters. That high
spending on failed transit is what leads to increased congestion, leading to
increased pollution leading to a high early death rate. It also leads to
higher gas consumption which leads to increased CO2.

You may get a kick out of trying to damage society with your incredible
ignorance, but I am not amused.

"The skew to cars, despite their disadvantages, is so profound,
politicians and bureaucrats spend entire careers simultaneously trying
to accommodate and tame traffic."

Again you show you high level of ignorance of our technological society.
Technology evolves over time as new technologies are tried with the ones
that best meet the needs of people going on to dominate society until they
are killed off with the next superior technology that people want.

The word "skew" implies an unnatural process for what is actually normal
technology evolution. . More of your irrational paranoia resulting from
your ignorance of the society you live in..

You probably too far over the edge into your insanity to ever be of any
value in society, but who knows, sometimes nutcases yelling on street
corners recover sanity.

Old February 20th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Jack May

Default Does the word "options" scare anyone?

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 18, 12:50 pm, Arif Khokar wrote:

Nobody is proposing here a no-car option. We are proposing OPTIONS,
like people choosing whether they need a car in freezing weather or
simply riding a bike in beautiful sunny weather.

Does the word "options" scare anyone?

It is a very scary word in technology because it leads to major failures in
society. especially failure in transportation.

Technology "S" curves show the progress of technology in society with new,
better technology replacing old, inferior technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_innovations

The problem is when you want options, the old technology is more expensive
and the new technology requires money to grow. So for transportation to
have options, you have to spend a lot of money on the old technology
(transit) and lot of money as the newer technology (cars) becomes the
dominant technology.

Money constraints then results in both options not having enough money to
grow the better solution and maintain the inferior solution. That is why
in almost all technology fields only the dominant technology is available
with few or no real options. That is the reason there are no tube computer
options out there.

The result of having options in technology is that both the old and the new
technology are strangled for funds which greatly damages both options.

Yes, "options" loved by the ignorant is very scary to knowledgeable people
that want to build a working society, not a broken society.

Old February 20th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Paul Hovnanian P.E." writes:

There's a nice scenic road around a nearby island. In order to
accommodate cycle traffic, the city marked off a cycle lane along one
side of the road. Due to the width of the road (very narrow), they
couldn't manage to put a lane on either side. So, in order to
circumnavigate the island, you've got to go around clockwise.

On a few nice weekend days, I've taken my bicycle around the loop.
Riding clockwise, using the bicycle trail. Oddly enough, I'd say that
about 95% of the rest of the cycle traffic takes the loop
counter-clockwise. This places them on the side of the road with no
trail where they have to block traffic.

If the cyclists are riding on the road, on
the correct side, they /are/ traffic.

In addition, I get quite a few
dirty looks and a few comments about riding 'the wrong way'.

As far as I can tell, when riding recreationally, it doesn't matter
which way one rides and I'd rather use the cycle lane. Unless of course,
your form of recreation happens to be blocking traffic.

If cars can pass each other on this road,
they can pass bikes too.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old February 20th 07, 10:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Doc O'Leary

In article ,
David Kerber wrote:

Get a trailer? The only issue I can see with carrying groceries by bike
would be refrigerated or frozen stuff in warm weather, when it might get
too warm by the time I get home. Though a good cooler could take care
of that (for smaller quantities, you can get insulated bags or
panniers).

You can even go further if you get electric coolers powered by solar
panels on top of the trailer!

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
heapnode.com, localhost, x-privat.org
Old February 20th 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

"Jack May" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I wonder why horse lovers do not get involved so they can declare that
bicycles get too much attention and what we really need are horse trails
along the interstates, along with special entrances and exits, to stop the
skew in favor of mechanized transport.

Old February 20th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Keats

In article ,
Doc O'Leary writes:
In article ,
David Kerber wrote:

Get a trailer? The only issue I can see with carrying groceries by bike
would be refrigerated or frozen stuff in warm weather, when it might get
too warm by the time I get home. Though a good cooler could take care
of that (for smaller quantities, you can get insulated bags or
panniers).

You can even go further if you get electric coolers powered by solar
panels on top of the trailer!

You don't need all that hi-tech, energy-consuming razmatazz.
Why do people always default to wasteful, hi-tech/hi-cost
approaches?

Actually, properly frozen foods stay frozen out of the
freezer pretty good for a couple of hours.

Throw a couple of containers of ice in there, and
yer off 'n runnin'. Stick yer bottle of pink
grapefruit juice in there too, for chilled swigs
on the way home.

And if you're gonna gripe that everything is too far
away from you -- well, maybe it's /you/ that is too
far away from everything you want. You can always
move back to the city, where everything /is/.