Durability Of Velocity Aerohead Rims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

Old November 14th 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
DirtRoadie

Default Durability Of Velocity Aerohead Rims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

On Nov 5, 6:42*pm, wrote:
On 05 Nov 2010 22:05:51 GMT, Jobst Brandt wrote:

Ben C (who?) wrote:

I have a set of Areoheads based on a set of Dura Ace hubs with the
18/24 combination.

Great wheels if you consider them race day only. *I normally use
them for Criterium racing and longer/hillier sportifs.

I have had a couple of problems though, just the rear rim hitting
a pothole and have just recently replaced the front due to
cracking around the nipples.

Considering the front was 2 years old and had not even needed a
truing during this time leads me to think I hit something but did
not notice it at the time.

I think the assessment of wheel durability is misplaced. *When I
consider the many miles on unpaved or cobble roads that my wheels
have crossed in the more than 30 years (since I wrote "the Bicycle
Wheel"), The same MA-2 rims, that even had a pinch flat or so, are
still working well with their 36 spoke Campagnolo RECORD hubs.

OH! but they aren't as light as CF wheels are as aerodynamic as 18
spoke wheels. *I can only ask, "What is the goal of your wheels?"
I think I made clear what causes fatigue failures and how these
stresses are avoided by stress relieving wheels after tensioning.

If that were true, then why wouldn't it work for 24 or 18 spoke wheels?

For the same reason four steel spoked wheels don't work. *Load
concentration is too great at the few spokes that there are. *If you
look at the load diagrams in "the Bicycle Wheel" you'll notice that a
18-spoke wheel will have its entire load on essentially one spoke
instead of four or more.

You might read about it. *Bike shops sell books, as does Amazon.

http://www.avocet.com/wheelbook/wheelbook.htmlq
http://tinyurl.com/22v535

Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

Can you give us some load calculations or diagrams on 24 and 18 spoke
figures?

Dear Carl,
Why did you abandon this worthwhile line of inquiry and jump into you
pedantic pursuit of James?
That was a dead end. This could be informative for many of the
reasons you cited.
DR