2003 Gary Fisher Big Sur or Trek 8000

Old July 1st 04, 05:21 AM
KR

Default 2003 Gary Fisher Big Sur or Trek 8000

I'm returning to mountain biking after years without one. I'll be doing
some of everything. Looking for a good all rounder. A local bike shop is
closing out last year's bikes and I'm looking to buy a 2003 Big Sur or 2003
Trek 8000. I'd like some opinions from owners or anyone who has experience
with these bikes. These seem very very similar at first glance. What are
the pros and cons of each? Why is one better than the other? Is there
anything I would need to upgrade right away on either model (I mean any
design flaws or pain inducing components)? The models I'm looking at do not
have disc brakes. Are either one of these bikes disc ready (I mean can I
add disc brakes later for a reasonable price)?

Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally proportioned (no oddly long or
short limbs :-P), what frame size of Gary Fisher Big Sur or Trek 8000 would
I be looking for? The GF comes in Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large
(It's like buying a t-shirt). The Trek comes in 15.5", 17.5", 19.5", 21.5".

I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them. I just want to go to
the shop with as much knowledge as possible so as to avoid getting suckered.

Thanks

KR

Old July 1st 04, 12:42 PM
D T W .../\\...

http://www.fisherbikes.com/index.asp

http://www.trekbikes.com/

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Old July 1st 04, 01:23 PM
Zilla

D T W .../\... wrote:
"KR" wrote in message
[...]

Good sites, but they don't offer owners' opinions.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old July 1st 04, 01:47 PM
TM

"KR" wrote in message

I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them.

Why? What would that prove? The difference between the two bikes boils
down to whether you prefer the inventor of the modern mountain bike or the
five time winner of Le Tour. When you choose a bike, you are really just
choosing a soundtrack for your ride. They all have the same/similar
components.

L or 19.5

Old July 1st 04, 04:23 PM
S o r n i

TM wrote:
"KR" wrote in message

I know I know I need to go sit on them and ride them.

Why? What would that prove? The difference between the two bikes
boils down to whether you prefer the inventor of the modern mountain
bike or the five time winner of Le Tour. When you choose a bike, you
are really just choosing a soundtrack for your ride. They all have
the same/similar components.

Please tell us you're kidding.

L or 19.5

Most likely right (original "size content" missing now).

Bill "frame MOST important decision" S.

Old July 1st 04, 04:56 PM
KR

Exactly. I think I already know what the manufacturer thinks on their
products...

Plus I've already been to those sites a countless times. I want to know
what riders think of the bikes.

KR

Old July 1st 04, 05:17 PM
JD

"KR" wrote in message ...
Also, if I'm 6' tall, 210 lbs., and normally proportioned snip

First, don't listen to any pipsqueaks. They'll tell you how fantastic
cookie cutter bikes are because they don't weigh enough to break one
of those POS bikes under normal use. If you are going to ride instead
of pretending to ride, save your money and buy a quality bike that
will not fall apart as you ride it.

JD

Old July 1st 04, 06:48 PM
TM

"S o r n i" wrote in message

Please tell us you're kidding.

Ask a silly question...

In hindsight, I should have just called him a BELLYWHACKER.

L or 19.5

Most likely right (original "size content" missing now).

Bill "frame MOST important decision" S.

T "agreed" M

Old July 1st 04, 09:59 PM
mojo deluxe

"KR" wrote in message
So are you saying that these two bikes might fall apart?

I think he is.

KR

"JD" wrote in message
om...