cleaning fun...(not)

Old October 4th 03, 09:05 PM
Suzy Jackson

Default cleaning fun...(not)

"gravelmuncher" wrote in message
You see, I've just bought a new Trek 1400 and i'm absolutely terrified
that i'll do something to hurt it. I've also heard that it's best to
clean the chain on the bike, as breaking the chain only shortens the
lifespan of that particular link(???) kinda makes sense really.

SRAM make neat little master links that you can open without tools. Their
chains are much better than the Shimano/Campy equivalents in terms of
useability.

Although, the same person says not to run a hose over the bike so as not
to get water in bearings - but what about rain? and how the hell are you
to get the damn soap off?! So now my pride and joy is getting dirtier
and i'm still scared i'm gonna stuff something. I did buy some kerosene
to degrease it though...guess now i just need to figure the best way to
go about it.

Don't worry - you'll scratch it soon, and then you'll be able to enjoy it
that much better.

Regards,

Suzy

Old October 5th 03, 12:00 AM
Cody

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
. au...

Other than expensive bike store lubricant, what do people use for oiling
their chain?

Parrafin wax. the best, say goodbye to dirty hands! Chains seem to last as
long as using any other method.

Old October 5th 03, 02:39 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Anonymous wrote:
Tim Jones wrote:
Other than expensive bike store lubricant, what do people use for
oiling their chain?

Motorcycle chain oil?

Sure, thats good for regular riding. Its penetrating, and easy to
apply. But like any oil, dirt sticks. So if you ride in dirt, consider
a dry lube. It needs to be applied much more often though. And its

only
the inside of the chain that needs to be lubed, so wipe excess oil off
the outside.

I found a spray/lube/displacer with zonyl in it, so i'll give it a go.
You see, I've just bought a new Trek 1400 and i'm absolutely terrified
that i'll do something to hurt it. I've also heard that it's best to
clean the chain on the bike, as breaking the chain only shortens the
lifespan of that particular link(???) kinda makes sense really.

It's a problem with cheap and nasty chains. After a while though, you do get
good at breaking chains though. Oiling the link before breaking it can do
wonders (would you believe???). And naturally breaking it at a different
point each time makes sense.

Although, the same person says not to run a hose over the bike so as not
to get water in bearings - but what about rain? and how the hell are you
to get the damn soap off?! So now my pride and joy is getting dirtier
and i'm still scared i'm gonna stuff something. I did buy some kerosene
to degrease it though...guess now i just need to figure the best way to
go about it.

With regards to your bearings, if they are well packed with grease, getting
water in should not be a big problem. The primary purpose of the grease is
not lubrication, but to keep dirt and water out. Dirt and poorly adjusted
cones are the two things that will kill bearings and cones faster than
anything else.

There are super-greases, like MBL, which definitely do assist in
lubrication, but you have to reapply it pretty regularly. The benefits of
the reduced friction are very small.
---
DFM

Old October 5th 03, 12:22 PM
Mike

Deep Freud Moors wrote:
gravelmuncher wrote in message

I found a spray/lube/displacer with zonyl in it, so i'll give it a go.
You see, I've just bought a new Trek 1400 and i'm absolutely terrified
that i'll do something to hurt it. I've also heard that it's best to
clean the chain on the bike, as breaking the chain only shortens the
lifespan of that particular link(???) kinda makes sense really.

Its also less effort to clean it on the bike. Just get one of those
gadgets that clips onto the chain, and runs it between three brush
wheels, through a degreaser bath. Less than $20.

Although, the same person says not to run a hose over the bike so as not
to get water in bearings - but what about rain?

Slightly exagerrated. Don't run a HIGH PRESSURE hose intop the bearings.
ie, keep the pressure down, or be careful where you aim it.

With regards to your bearings, if they are well packed with grease, getting
water in should not be a big problem. The primary purpose of the grease is
not lubrication, but to keep dirt and water out.

You forgot noise! I hate the squeal of dry bearings.