Mountain Lion Kills Mountain Biker

Old January 17th 04, 01:39 AM
Rob S

Default Mountain Lion Kills Mountain Biker

Cross-posting deleted!

Bill Z. wrote:

He managed to get a letter published in the San Francisco Chronicle
(locals sometimes joke it prints all the news that amuses.)

Seems he is now living in Hayward, which isn't exactly a car-free zone
and is no where near as PC as Berkeley. It does have a BART station,
however.

See

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/01/14/EDG3548NHP1.DTL

for the letter, which gave his name + the city he lives in.

Bill

But you missed the best part of this. I quote from his letter:

"In addition, many times we humans should be more prepared for attacks.
People should carry a knife. While it is important to protect the
wilderness areas and the animals that inhabit them, we should not ignore
the dangerous ramifications of our environmental policies."

So it's ok to kill the lion right then and there, just not later. I
suppose he picks a knife to give the lion a fighting chance. MV does
confirm his viewpoint with his repeated hammering of the fact that they
killed the mountain lion before they checked it's stomach contents to
confirm if was the culprit. Well Mikey, if you'd ever had a endoscopy,
you'd know that killing the lion first was probably a blessing (P.S.
That was sarcasm, no need to post a rebuttal for that).

But then he forgets to mention that he thinks that no one should be
allowed in any lion habitat. I've never seen him forget to mention
human/wilderness segregation before. Anyway, he will continue to rail on
forever rather then taking some direct action such as raising money,
purchasing land and putting his views into action. He must get off on
the scorn that so many people have for him. Interesting psychological
case study our Mikey is.

It's really too bad that he has a damaging effect on real attempts to
mitigate trail damage and work with other trail users, even when
wilderness areas are not at issue.

And then there's his hypocrisy (def: the false assumption of an
appearance of virtue or religion). Mikey, have you done any resarch on
cats as pets and their effect on the environment? Nope? Only mountain
bikers you say?

From your web page your dead cat: "If I had known how many birds
and other animals are killed by cats, even well fed ones, I probably
would never have chosen to adopt them."

Again we must infer your meaning. If you hadn't adopted the cat then the
cat would have what? Died? Been adopted by someone else? Neither is a
solution to the problems you claim to be addressing. I guess you should
have just killed Bob before the car did. That would have protected the
environment. Oh wait, I have a simpler solution, keep the cat indoors.

Sushi. Do a Google groups search for comments on Mike's diet and it's
effect on the environment.

Thus ends my re-hashing of many valid agruments for a Vandeman free planet.

RS
Old January 17th 04, 05:30 AM
Mike Vandeman

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:39:38 -0500, Rob S
wrote:

..Cross-posting deleted!
..
..Bill Z. wrote:
..
..
[...]

BS. I never said any such thing.

[...]
.. From your web page your dead cat: "If I had known how many birds
..and other animals are killed by cats, even well fed ones, I probably
..would never have chosen to adopt them."
..
..Again we must infer your meaning. If you hadn't adopted the cat then the
..cat would have what? Died? Been adopted by someone else? Neither is a
..solution to the problems you claim to be addressing. I guess you should
..have just killed Bob before the car did. That would have protected the
..environment. Oh wait, I have a simpler solution, keep the cat indoors.
..
..Sushi. Do a Google groups search for comments on Mike's diet and it's
..effect on the environment.
..
..Thus ends my re-hashing of many valid agruments for a Vandeman free planet.
..
..RS

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old January 27th 04, 12:13 PM
Stephen Baker

MV blathers:

BS. Wherever lions go is their habitat, by definition.

and then follows that with:

BS. The people created the problem, by creating a park in lion habitat.

So why are we different from the lion? We just went into the park, making it
our habitat, by definition. ;-P
Old January 28th 04, 09:07 PM
IMBA Jim

Worth adding that while Orange County calls several of its parks, "Wilderness
Parks", they are not big W Wilderness,akin to federal Wilderness designation.

They're using it in the ordinary language sense of the term as "undeveloped".

I was up north when attacks happened and noticed that Bay Area newscasters
talked about mountain bikers were in the Wilderness. ( They weren't in that
sense). Jim Hasenauer