Helmet Poll: First Hand Experience

Old May 9th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Helmet Poll: First Hand Experience

I'm looking for three data points he

1) My head struck on object (pavement, vehicle, another cyclist, etc.)
whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and I feel the helmet lessened
the extent of my injuries.

or

2) My head struck on object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I doubt it either lessened or worsened the extent of my injuries (i.e.,
the helmet made no difference).

or

3) My head struck an object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I feel the helmet worsened the extent of my injuries.

Please limit responses to the three scenarios as outlined above. As
simple or as detailed as you like. And, *first hand* accounts only
(i.e., it happened to you). And no responses of "studies show",
"statistics prove", etc.
(And I'm counting on everyone's honesty.)

Old May 9th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I'm looking for three data points he

1) My head struck on object (pavement, vehicle, another cyclist, etc.)
whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and I feel the helmet lessened
the extent of my injuries.

or

2) My head struck on object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I doubt it either lessened or worsened the extent of my injuries (i.e.,
the helmet made no difference).

or

3) My head struck an object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I feel the helmet worsened the extent of my injuries.

Please limit responses to the three scenarios as outlined above. As
simple or as detailed as you like. And, *first hand* accounts only
(i.e., it happened to you). And no responses of "studies show",
"statistics prove", etc.
(And I'm counting on everyone's honesty.)

I had 2 experiences of type #1, both times my helmeted head hit a tree
branch. Time 1 was in the woods, going under a (unseen) low branch. Time
2 was riding on the sidewalk (road was closed, bike crit in an
industrial park), turned around to wave to a friend, nailed by a low
branch again. Both hits were hard (#1 cracked the helmet), I'm sure the
helmet helped. I suspect the visor prevented the branch from appearing
in my peripheral vision in at least episode 1, maybe both.

I have never crashed on the road (many years, 10's of Kmi), crashed many
times off-road, don't recall ever hitting my head.
Old May 10th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I'm looking for three data points he

1) My head struck on object (pavement, vehicle, another cyclist,
etc.) whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and I feel the helmet
lessened the extent of my injuries.

One MTB crash during racing (dirt crit). I hit the ground at the bottom of
my skull and was unable to continue the race because my brake pad got jacked
up and external tools were not allowed. Not sure if the bottom of the
helmet was between the ground and my head... No observers were present.
I'm guessing I got a mild concussion because I became sleepy.

Numerous lightweight tree branch impacts on the MTB.

Have crashed many times commuting at ~15mph. All were at a ~45 degree lean
angle so there was little impact force and all road/flesh contact was on my
arms and knees.

Never wore a helmet during urban assault and trials riding. Never suffered
an impact anywhere above the knees.

Never crashed on a road ride.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old May 11th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter Cole wrote:
Both hits were hard (#1 cracked the helmet), I'm sure the
helmet helped. I suspect the visor prevented the branch from appearing
in my peripheral vision in at least episode 1, maybe both.

I have never crashed on the road (many years, 10's of Kmi), crashed many
times off-road, don't recall ever hitting my head.

Could you describe the damage to your helmet more specifically. You say
it cracked: did the styrofoam compress at all?

Old May 9th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I'm looking for three data points he

1) My head struck on object (pavement, vehicle, another cyclist, etc.)
whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and I feel the helmet lessened
the extent of my injuries.

or

2) My head struck on object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I doubt it either lessened or worsened the extent of my injuries (i.e.,
the helmet made no difference).

or

3) My head struck an object whilst cycling; I was wearing a helmet and
I feel the helmet worsened the extent of my injuries.

Please limit responses to the three scenarios as outlined above. As
simple or as detailed as you like. And, *first hand* accounts only
(i.e., it happened to you). And no responses of "studies show",
"statistics prove", etc.
(And I'm counting on everyone's honesty.)

1) Locked and jacknifed the front wheel on a mountain bike and went down
on damp pavement. Side of my head hit the pavement and skidded. Was
wearing a helmet. The impact was significant (other injuries: broken
collarbone on impact side, broken arm on other side) and I feel that the
helmet kept the possible head involvement from being any worse. As it
was, my hearing was affected for a couple of weeks, but it got all right
on its own.
Old May 9th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I'm looking for three data points he

NOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 9th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sorni wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I'm looking for three data points he

NOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, Bill, but yes. There has been so much "studies show",
"statistics prove" stuff regarding helmet use, that I thought some
first hand experiences might help put things in perspective. Care to
add yours?

Old May 9th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
Sorni wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
I'm looking for three data points he

NOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, Bill, but yes. There has been so much "studies show",
"statistics prove" stuff regarding helmet use, that I thought some
first hand experiences might help put things in perspective. Care to
add yours?

NOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-P

(I already told about the time I endo'd in a rock gargen and totally rang my
lidded bell. Got up and finished the ride. Also hit a low-hanging
tree-branch so hard one time I saw stars; just kept pedaling. Pretty damn
sure I'd've gotten concussions at the very least both times, if not cracking
open my skull -- especially the one on the rocks.)

Bill "and he pulls me back in" S.

PS: Who knows? If I'd read certain STUDIES before these events, maybe
I'd've gotten pretty jacked up!

Old May 10th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sorni says...

(I already told about the time I endo'd in a rock gargen and totally rang my
lidded bell. Got up and finished the ride. Also hit a low-hanging
tree-branch so hard one time I saw stars; just kept pedaling. Pretty damn
sure I'd've gotten concussions at the very least both times, if not cracking
open my skull -- especially the one on the rocks.)

Bill "and he pulls me back in" S.

PS: Who knows? If I'd read certain STUDIES before these events, maybe
I'd've gotten pretty jacked up!

While I do intensely dislike the helmet hysteria, even I wouldn't argue
with wearing one while riding through rock gardens or if low hanging
branches are part of the route. I assume you were mountain biking both
times? I would never advise against helmet use while mountain biking
since crashing is obviously part of the sport. However, there is a huge
population of riders who don't mountain bike or otherwise push the
envelope, and these are the people for whom biking without a helmet has
20:1 health advantages.