An update: building awareness of cycling issues

Old December 18th 03, 01:53 PM
Jym Dyer

Default "Share the Road" (was: An update: building awareness ...)

http://home.swbell.net/mpion/sharesigns.html

| NC DOT use a bicycle symbol in a diamond on a yellow ground
| with a plaque, or subplate below and the text "Share the
| Road." He added they are now using the new high visibility
| yellow-green sign which is more expensive. Staying with the
| official MUTCD sign allows them to tap into CMAQ (Congestion
| Mitigation and Air Quality improvement) or other federal
| funds, e.g. safety funds.

=v= I don't think these signs, with this message, help at all.
Some motorists take "Share the Road" to just mean a variation
of "It's MY turn to be shared with, so get out of my way!"
I've actually read accounts of motorists yelling "Share The
Road" while menacing bicyclists who take the lane.

=v= The best StR logo I've ever seen is in Pennsylvania, which
(like some of the ones shown at this website) depicts a bike IN
FRONT of a car. You can see it he

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/.../frmBikeManual

But IMHO it's still too ambiguous.

=v= I'd prefer to see air quality improvement funds to go to
air quality improvement.

| # The "Share the Road" message was preferred by almost 90% of
| respondents and more than half said this message should be an
| informational sign rather than a warning or regulatory sign.
|
| # While more than 80% of people believed the "Share the Road"
| signs were valuable and make bicyclists more comfortable,
| only 40% believed they make bicyclists safer.

=v= So 40% have an opinion unsupported by any data (as far as
I know), and the other 40% don't mind spreading delusions of
safety?

=v= The message motorists need to know most is that bicyclists
may take the lane in certain circumstances. Thanks to some
tenacious activism, San Francisco now has signs that say,
"Bicycles Allowed Use of Full Lane." (Of course, this is yet
another experiment in progress.)
_Jym_
Old December 18th 03, 04:01 PM
Terry Morse

Default "Moving Beyond the Feud"

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

Top level roadies like me are using stuff like Campy's 'G3 system'
Eurus wheels even just for training these days!

Good idea, mechanics need practice in fast wheel changes when those
sissy wheels disintegrate on the road.
Old December 19th 03, 09:53 AM
Trent Piepho

Default An update: building awareness of cycling issues

In article ,
Matt O'Toole wrote:

must be because there's a well-conceived state standard. I can't recall seeing
a bike lane in CA that I would consider dangerous. They seem not to exist on
narrow roads with parked cars.

Have you seen the bike lane around Pebble Beach? It's about six inches wide.
Next best thing to just outright banning bicycles from the road.

Old December 19th 03, 12:39 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:59:48 GMT, Mike Latondresse
wrote:

Austin /America?/ Over here it was the plain old 1100!

You could watch it rust before your eyes.

Same with Minis. Mine only lasted 19 years.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old December 19th 03, 06:16 PM
Matt O'Toole

Trent Piepho wrote:

In article ,
Matt O'Toole wrote:

must be because there's a well-conceived state standard. I can't
recall seeing a bike lane in CA that I would consider dangerous.
They seem not to exist on narrow roads with parked cars.

Have you seen the bike lane around Pebble Beach? It's about six
inches wide. Next best thing to just outright banning bicycles from
the road.

Don't give them any ideas... :-)

Seriously, AFAIK that's a private road where they can do any stupid thing they
want.

Matt O.