Windsor Ontario to Hamilton Ontario area

Old January 16th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
CP

Default Windsor Ontario to Hamilton Ontario area

Any insight on the possiblities of such a ride? Safe? Anybody ever done it?
Actually, total trip is Detroit to Boston via Canada and across northern NY
state.
thanks
Bob

Old January 20th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

CP wrote:
Any insight on the possiblities of such a ride? Safe? Anybody ever done it?
Actually, total trip is Detroit to Boston via Canada and across northern NY
state.
thanks
Bob

I went the other way in 1994 - Boston to Milwaukee via Albany - Niagara
Falls - Detroit. I'll try to find and post the trip report.

Old January 20th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
CP

WOW, now that's a ride.
Looking forward to reading that.
Bob

"Ron Wallenfang" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 21st 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

CP wrote:
Any insight on the possiblities of such a ride? Safe? Anybody ever done it?
Actually, total trip is Detroit to Boston via Canada and across northern NY
state.
thanks
Bob

Here is my 1994 trip report. I hope it's useful.

Trip Report

Cambridge to Milwaukee

April 30 - May 7, 1994

Following our 25th year law school class reunion, a classmate, Collins
Fitzpatrick, of Chicago and I (from Milwaukee) decided to bicycle back
home. We had previously traveled together on a 1986 trip around Lake
Michigan, and shared the same riding style - i.e. pounding out a lot of
miles every day, and not bothering. much about sights or other
activities along the way. We spared a few minutes to look at Niagara
Falls and that was about it. Anyway, we left on Sat., April 30, at
about 11:30 a.m., after the class picture was taken. Herewith, the
report:

Stopped at 2:25 p.m. after leaving around 11:30. 41 miles - 2 hrs.
56 min. riding time. Stopped just south of Worcester. Temperature
around 70°. Headwinds light to moderate - maybe 5-15 mph. Route 16
to 9 in Wellesley - 9 to 20 - between 495 and Worcester - 20 to
this stop

Stopped for Mass at Brinfeld 4:55 - 5:45. 66 mi., 4 hrs. 28 min.
Made 3 stops at gas station/mini-mart but none had bathrooms.

On road again at 6:45. We stayed on Route 20 and rode as far as West
Springfield, then had to "retreat" a few miles to find a Days Inn
on Hwy. 5 in West Springfield, after a police officer we stopped (when
you need information, there's no more consistently reliable source)
told us there was no lodging ahead for many miles. Arrived there about
8:30. With some local riding, day's total is 99.8 miles, 7 hrs. 25
min. My daily mileage totaled 112, including local riding before we
started the trip.

We then rode to a nearby shopping center and go carryout stuff to eat
in the hotel. I had seafood salad, cole slaw, beer, five alive,
prunes, and also bought oranges and a banana for breakfast. To bed
around 11:00. The Weather Channel was not encouraging for 5/1, but
4/30 conditions were good. Temperature in upper 60s or low 70s, and
lighter winds at the end.

Sun. - 5/1

Weather Channel shows trouble likely all morning, then strong winds
when the rain clears. We left at 6:10 a.m. wearing ponchos, and rode
until 10:45 then stopped in Pittsfield. 56.1 miles - 4 Hrs. 29 min.
Rain off and on the whole time, though it was never heavy. Lots of
uphill in the Berkshires including one uphill stretch of several miles.
Winds have not been a factor, but hills and rain cut speed.
Temperatures in the upper 50s probably, maybe 60. It's not raining
at the moment, but it's gloomy. We'll probably leave the ponchos
on. I had a seafood sub sandwich here; Collins had breakfast. We
stayed basically dry; shirt and shorts are slightly damp. Left at
11:30, still on route 20.

2:30 p.m. - Stopped at a Wendy's in East Greenbush, New York,
outside of Albany (not there yet). It's been a wild 3 hours. We
left Pittsfield in a medium rain which cleared quickly. Off came the
ponchos and out came the sunglasses and sun lotion. Then it clouded up
again and we were chased to cover by a hard rain which seems to have
ended while we're here. We also had a couple short stops for photos,
and Collins had an equipment problem. Still plenty of hills. The
temperature was up to 70° and now may be back to 60°. Mileage 88.5
miles. Riding time 6 Hrs. 50 min. From Albany, our route would switch
to 5 and then 31 all the way to Niagara Falls

Started 3:30 - Stopped 5:30 - mileage 110.3 - Riding time 8 hrs.
51 min. Stopped at McDonald's in Scotin, just across the Mohawk
River from Schenectady. The wind the last 2 hours has been terrible
- can't make good speed at all. The wind also makes it feel cooler
(it has cooled maybe to the 50s without the wind). I'll be wearing
my sweat shirt for the first time coming out of here. We took Route 20
to Albany, then 5.

Started 5:55. Rode until 7:15 and stopped for night at Amsterdam.
"Early" stop a/c:

- very strong headwinds haven't diminished at all

- no large towns and possibly no motels at distance we
might reach

Route 5 is in the Mohawk Valley, and is remarkably flatter than U.S.
20, which followed on my 1968 trip all the way to Cleveland, but the
winds this afternoon were very bad.

Mileage for day 125.8; time 10 hrs. 19 min.

Temperature down to 50° or below and still dropping. Weather
prediction for tomorrow is colder and still strong headwinds. Not very
encouraging.

Mon. - 5/2

Left at 5:50 A.M. Temperature in low 40s and gloomy with a few drops
of rain but not enough to make the road wet. Still a brisk headwind
although not as bad as yesterday. Wearing sweatshirt, long pants,
tennis shoes, socks and gloves (instead of t-shirt, shorts and sandals
like Saturday).

Stopped at 7:40 at McDonalds in Palatine Bridge. 23.8 miles - 1 hr.
48 min. Left at 8:25.

Stopped for about 20 minutes in Little Falls than at a grocery
store/Burger King in Utica at 12:15. Also had stopped for a couple of
Mohawk Valley photo ops near Herkimer.

66.1 miles, 5 Hrs. 16 min.

Continued brisk head winds. They just won't quit. We'll get worn
out early at this rate. The wind has been bad since yesterday noon.

The temperature has warmed to 50° or a little above. I shed my gloves
around 11:00. There's some sunshine but mostly cloudy. No need for
sunglasses, etc. so far. Left around 1:00.

Stopped at McDonald's in Oneida at 3:25. Mileage 91.3, time 7 hrs.
28 min.

It's summer now - have switched to sunglasses. Temperatures are in
mid-50s. The wind has shifted to the NW, so while still a headwind,
it's no longer dead ahead. Present route: stayed on 5 as we have
ever since Albany. Left around 3:55; stopped 6:45 just west of
Syracuse.

Mileage 124.6, time 10 hrs. 12 min.

Winds NW and brisk i.e. headwind but not brutal. Somewhat hillier than
along the Mohawk. Left 7:15, advised there was probably a motel at
Elbridge (reachable) and for sure at Auburn (harder to reach - would
have to travel at night and may not be on our route).

There was a big, big hill coming up out of Camillus followed by an ad
for a motel at Elbridge. We passed one, then stopped for the night at
a second one short of

Elbridge.

Mileage for day 132.6, time for day 11 hours. Mileage for trip 359.

Wind ranged from bad to very bad all day. We have an excellent motel
host at Motel Thomas R&S West, Camillus 13031, Jay Davis, who has let
us dry clothes in his dryer and otherwise been especially solicitous of
our welfare. He advised there are more hills on US 20 than on NY 31,
which may affect tomorrow's plans.

Tues. - 5/3

Left between 5:40 and 5:45 a.m. after a roll and coffee with our host.
Cold - 35° in Syracuse but a lot of frost in the country. Winds calm
until about 8:00 then a light headwind came up - nothing like
yesterday's.

We stopped briefly in Clyde for about 15 minutes. 31.5 miles, 2 hrs. 7
min.

I removed one shirt and switched to sunglasses. (The weather is clear
so far.) Then we stopped around 9:10 at a McDonald's in Newark.
46.1 miles, 3 hrs. 14 min. Temperature is up to 49° and rising.
I'm changing "uniforms" here to shorts and sandals and shedding
the sweatshirt and gloves.

Didn't leave Newark until 10:40 (1 ½ hrs.). The main hangup was a
repair on my bike. One of the bolts that holds the baggage carrier to
the frame had come out.

We went to an Ames department store where I want in three times and
bought 3 packages (they're only sold that way) until I found one that
worked on the third try.

Stopped on Brachport at a McDonald's at 2:30. 95.6 miles, 6 hrs. 49
min.

The wind has stayed light and it's been sunny all day with
temperatures around 60°. Left at 3:15. Changed back into tennis
shoes a/c sun and for extra ankle support (my left ankle was getting
sore). I switched glasses again at 6:00 and also put my sweatshirt on
again.

Riding this afternoon continued quite favorable with light N to even a
little NE wind. We made our best time of the trip and entered Canada
around 7:45, which gave us time to see the falls before looking for a
hotel and changing some money. Mileage 163.6, time 11 hrs. 25 min.

Wed. - 5/4

Left motel at 5:55. Temperature probably in the low to mid-40s. Wind
light. Collins had the same mechanical problem I had yesterday. His
carrier lost a bolt going over a RR track. Fortunately my
"leftover" bolt from yesterday fit so it was a minimal delay.
Stopped at 9:15 for breakfast, etc. in Cuyego. Mileage 47.0, time 3
hrs. 19 min.

When we went to leave, Collins had a flat tire. By the time everything
was handled, it was 11:00 before we got going. We stopped for half an
hour around 3:00 p.m. at a little cross-road called Glen Meyer (we had
deviated off highway 3 because of the lack of a paved shoulder and the
heavy traffic, especially truck traffic. Mileage 95.8, time 6 hrs. 50
min.

The people, who were Mennonites, spoke what they called German bit I
couldn't understand it and I doubt many Germans could. There were a
lot of tobacco farms in this general area. Winds were light to
moderate and mostly out of the south - not a problem. There were
periods of sun and clouds, with temperatures consistently in the
50's, probably cooled by a lake breeze off Lake Erie.

At 6:18 we stopped briefly at Fingal at a general store. A guy there
recommended a bed and breakfast in Rodney and called ahead for us and
gave us directions. Knowing we had a place to stay, we kept going.
Mileage at Fingal 135.1, time 9 hrs. 36 min.

Just before Rodney, I got a flat front tire. While I fixed it, Collins
went ahead and found the place which was a couple of miles SW of town.
The host, M/M Theo Van Asten, was very good. They made supper and Theo
drove over with Collins to see if I needed a ride (I didn't). After
fixing my flat, I arrived around 8:50 p.m. Mileage 167.5, time 11 hrs.
46 min.

Thur. - 5/5

Left around 6:25 a.m. After an hour or so of good riding (low 40s,
light wind, flat) I had a flat rear tire (it was the front tire last
night). Collins fixed both tubes but on pumping up the tire we noted a
serious "bulge". The rim of the tire was broken. We used one of
Collins' patches as a tube and rode on into Chatham, where we found
Smiths' bike shop. Smith took care of us personally so as of now I
have a new tire on. He was most interested in our trip. Left at 10:00
by which time a brisk headwind had come up with improving temperatures.
Removed sweatshirt and "cussed" the wind.

Stopped for soda, etc., in Jeannette Creek at 11:15. Mileage 51.3,
time 3 hrs. 48 min. Left 12:40.

Forced to stop in Belle ____ because Collins had a broken spoke.
This is a tough day. With a brisk headwind besides. Mileage 70.5,
time 5 hrs. 23 min.

The ride into Windsor was a bid circuitous; then when we got to the
bridge to the US, we were told we couldn't cross with bikes. The
only option was to "hitch a ride" with a passing vehicle, and the
first van driver we asked took us. US Customs weren't prepared to
see two bikers on the other side (we were let off before the driver
cleared customs) and we were sent inside to explain, which we did.
Mileage 92.8, time 7 hrs. 7 min. It was 4:10 when we got going again,
staying generally on US 12 all the way to Chicago.

In keeping with the day's tradition, Collins got a flat front tire at
5:00 at the went end of Dearborn. Can't find the leak so he used his
spare tube. Because his tube needs high pressure, we'll have to find
a gas station. Mileage 102.0, time 7 hrs. 57 min.

We also had a few drops of rain, enough to put on our ponchos at the
end of the bridge, but it cleared quickly. The winds are generally
headwinds with some variability, maybe due to the passing shower.

We stopped 45 minutes at a McDonald's in West Dearborn, then headed for
Saline. We got there near 9:00 to find no motel. There was one at
Clinton where we arrived near 10:00 p.m., our first real night riding.
Mileage 146.1, time 11 hrs. 20 min.

The Clinton Inn is an old hotel with big rooms, nicely decorated but
old plumbing.

Fri. - 5/6

Left Clinton around 6:00 a.m. Clear and quite cold - around 40°.
Light to moderate NW wind. Rather hilly - Irish Hills area. Stopped
at Hwy. 127, Jct. 7:40. 21.6 miles, 1 hr. 37 min.

Stopped for breakfast at Coldwater at 10:50. Weather has stayed cool,
though sunny - in the 40s. Winds are moderate NW. 58.7 miles, time
4 hrs. 21 min.

Left around 12:00. Then rode until after 2:30. Stopped for
refreshments at White Pigeon. 97.3 miles, 6 hrs. 55 min. Wind from
North, so its mostly a crosswind. 6:10 p.m. EDT. Last EDT reading.
Stopped west of Niles for a snack. Winds still mostly N, some NW,
sunny and cool, 50°. Miles: 138.0, time 9 hrs. 52 min.

Reached Long Beach, Indiana at 7:40 p.m. CDT. Conditions are clear and
cool - under 50°. I put on my gloves.

We'll stay here with Bob Kuchler's moth-in-law. (Bob was the third
rider on our 1986 tri around Lake Michigan.) Bob and Joy Kuchler are
there, as is Mary Fitzpatrick. Collins is quitting here a/c an
inflamed Achilles tendon. Miles: 169.1, time: 12:01.

The 5 of us went out for dinner. A rib eye steak was just right after
all the fast food/fruit; candy bar type diet of the past several days.
Bob will accompany me as far as Chicago tomorrow.

Sat. - 5/7

Bob and I left at 5:30 a.m. Within a mile we had to put on raincoats.
Still, he set a very strong pace. We stopped briefly at a McDonald's
just east of Gary. There was light rain the first 2 hours, then
heavier rain leaving Gary with a brisk headwind. This made for the
most miserable riding of the whole trip. Bob guided me to the Chicago
bike path at 71st Street and the Lake Front.

A morale booster: on the north side, there were thousands and
thousands of people just as bedraggled as me. It was the "Hike for
Life:. It slowed me up even more, but "so what". It was great to
see.

As I came into the north suburbs, the rain lightened up into a drizzle
but I'm drenched by now. The wind had done in my poncho by downtown
Chicago. Stopped for a snack in Highland Park.

Mileage 90.8, time 6 hrs. 36 min.

Time 12 - 1:20. Rain let up gradually and ended, but there's a
brisk headwind. The northwest wind we look for in vain for 7 days,
arrived on the 8th day - when I'm headed north - ugh!!

Stopped at a McDonald's in Kenosha around 3:30. Had hit Wisconsin
line at 3:10. Mileage 120.0, time 8 hrs. 44 min.

Still a brisk N to NE wind. No more substantial stops if I'm to be
home before dark.

The last stretch the wind slowly diminished but it still did me no
favors. The longer day riding made a difference. For the first time,
I had really pretty much "had it" by the end of the day. Earlier I
told myself I'd really attack the final hill on Pilgrim Road. In
fact, I downshifted more than usual and struggled up. Arrived at 8:10
p.m. Mileage: 176.0, time 12 hrs 9 min.

Mary Ann was waiting with a home cooked beef stew and home-made cole
slaw and wine. She also had a Dairy Queen ice cream cake that said:
"Yeah! You made it."

All in all, a very nice welcome home!!

Old January 24th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
CP

Given that you rode US 12 (Michigan Avenue) from Detroit on out, I know you
had (have) more courage than I!
Thanks for the posting, I'll study the route selection.
Bob

Old January 25th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Phil

On Jan 24, 6:47 am, "CP" wrote:
Given that you rode US 12 (Michigan Avenue) from Detroit on out, I know you
had (have) more courage than I!
Thanks for the posting, I'll study the route selection.
Bob

CycleCanada does a tour in the summer that goes from Windsor to Niagara
Falls, Canada. You can find a brief overview on the following website:
http://www.cyclecanada.com/ErieItin.html There may be enough
information on the website for you to map a route from Windsor
following the shores of Lake Erie to Niagara Falls. At Niagara Falls,
you can cross the Rainbow Bridge and connect with a bikeway that will
eventually get you to the beginning of the bike path along the Erie
Canal in Tonowanda New York. You can then follow the Erie Canal across
much of New York State.

Phil

Ontario Helmet Law being pushed through Chris B. Social Issues 1160 February 8th 05 10:42 PM
Ontario Helmet Law being pushed through R15757 General 0 February 3rd 05 02:17 AM
Ontario Helmet Law being pushed through Chris B. Social Issues 34 November 13th 04 07:31 PM
Ingolf, Ontario Ryan Morin Rides 5 October 12th 04 04:00 PM
Look out Michigan/Ontario, here we come!!! Roger Buchanan Mountain Biking 7 August 30th 04 04:40 AM