Veloloop Triggers Inductive Road Sensors

Old October 10th 14, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Veloloop Triggers Inductive Road Sensors

On Friday, October 10, 2014 4:27:45 AM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 9 Oct 2014 20:52:45 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski

wrote:

jbeattie wrote:

Yes, and those black people are so wise and magical like Bagger Vance and Morgan Freeman. The white man is the devil. Literally. Cadillac spelled backwards is callidaC, which is Aramaic for "satan." You can look it up..

Did you happen to run in to any Asians? I hear they are very industrious.

Hmm. Maybe the guy in the Caddy was Asian, hurrying to get to somewhere more productive. Can't really say.

I worked for years with three different Asians: two from Iran, one from Bangladesh. The Iranians were industrious, and one in particular was amazingly so. The Bangladeshi was a good worker but very behind the times technically. Would you guess that was a racial thing?

- Frank Krygowski

I've lived in Asia for more than half my life and it has been my

experience that Asians, white folk and everyone else are pretty much

the same. Some of them are crooks and some of them aren't. Some of

them work two jobs to get their kids educated and some run off and

leave their pregnant wife behind.

I reckon it is pretty much an individual thing whether someone is good

or bad.

Just to be clear . . . I was joking. I don't do emoticons.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 10th 14, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Told you sarcasm may not work here. If you don't like emoticons try
bracketing your statement with sarcasm /sarcasm

Old October 11th 14, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

jbeattie wrote:

[...]

you stay home ?

Ima gonna drive over n listen for echoes. Bike off over the horizon.
Old October 11th 14, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

--

Cheers,

John B.

uh you live in Asia an you arrived at the understanding that we are alike ?

now if you lived on Ohio we could understand your understanding but as it is....
Old October 11th 14, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, October 10, 2014 12:56:48 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
sms wrote:

[...]

Most cities will increase loop sensitivity and/or paint a bicycle

marking on the pavement if you tell them about the problem. I find very

few that don't work, and it's not just my steel road bicycle. My

daughter's aluminum bicycle does just fine on them.

So, I wrote to the community services district after you mentioned this.

That is the governing body for our town. Answers so far ... none :-(

--

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

This afternoon, emailed our district commissar abt 2-3 small tree limbs hiding oncoming traffic from view out of median strip jughandles. We'll clock that for you.

After I emailed someone off in the distance began screaming about cuttingthe poor tree own.

Last year an idiot dumped dead coons into our intersection, a minor but highly trafficked, directly on the 27 mile segment A bike path.

County policy is letting dead coons lie.

Coon was gone next morning.

I moane abt a thru turn lane crossing the bike path before I left for the Coast. When I came back was delighted that yes the State OK'd a sign. Not I the best place off course but nuntheless a sign as here are cyclists take care.

One year there was a moonson flood sweeping mud off the berm abt 1.5 feet thick ober the bike lane......we're on the town line and there was disagreement on what connected to where.

Cyclists including the peloton ha to ride out into the street which is a I speed connector for entertainment workers headed to the beach. e ha a biker kill himself doing a Hailwood on our boundry line corner in the front yard. SPRONG....

Woman asked me

Is he hurt ?

I said

weeeelllll, I 'm here for 30 minutes and he hasn't moved much.

so I got out my mother's garden shovel n cleared off 200' of mud.

cyclists said thank you.

cool.

Frank would do that

Jute would write 3 paragrphs on why people are too stupid to volunteer

Beattie would ride by headed for the Emoticon

Dano would crash into the canal

Muzi would take a photo

brandt would issue a statement on stress relief

BTW, I herd Sherm died from manure poisoning

Old October 11th 14, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 14:39:56 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Those enlightened Europeans seem to think Jews are the problem:
http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/13900...i-semitism.jpg

When in doubt, blame the Jews. After a few millennium, we sorta get
used to it. With all the flag burning going on, these guys probably
couldn't find one to buy on short notice and had to make their own.
Supplying Israeli flags for such events is a highly profitable
business.

I'm busy today, so this will not be up to my usual standard of
inaccuracy, math errors, spelling errors, and marginal humor.

Back to vehicle detectors. The problem is the magnetic permeability
of the bicycle frame:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_%28electromagnetism%29#Values_for_som e_common_materials
Carbon steel 1.26x10^-4
Aluminum 1.25x10^-6
Wood 1.25x10^-6
In other words, to have the same effect as steel, an aluminum bike
would need to be 10 times larger. The effect of aluminum is about the
same as a wooden bike, mostly from absorbed moisture in the wood.

The easy fix is to drag along a block of high permeability material to
plop onto the coil. Actually, that might not be correct. (I haven't
tested this yet). The metal block needs to be moved through the coil
field in order to have maximum effect. The circuitry responds with
the change in frequency produced by the change in coil inductance
caused by the introduction of magnetically permeable material into the
field. Instead of slowly crawling over the loop, try riding through
it as fast as reasonably possible. Much depends on the loop time
constant of the phase/frequency detector used by the vehicle detector,
so you'll probably get variable results when testing.

Anyway, a block of something with more permeability from near the top
of the list should be suitable. The various transformer tape winding
materials (cobalt-steel, nickel-steel, silicon-steel) will work to
about 100Khz but only in thin strips. The best might be one of the
high permeability powdered iron ferrite materials, such as 3B7 at
5x10^-6. Not a huge jump over steel, but would still have twice the
effect. I gotta RTFM to find something better. Anyway, a loop of the
stuff swung through the vehicle detector field should get it's
attention.

Ok, back to flag burning.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried any of this, including the flag burning.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 11th 14, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 15:05:50 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I don't have any interest in hauling my bike over to press a pedestrian
button, then hauling it back into traffic position.

Perhaps you're simply lacking the necessary technology. I have
several of these:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4334765
which I use mostly to grab and replace books from my bookshelves when
my step ladder is being misused for other purposes. It should work
with most forms of traffic push buttons. 3ft reach might be a bit
limiting. There are various telescoping poles available for window
washing and ceiling dusting that have a longer reach. Something like
this:
http://www.lsdinc.com/installation/7305/Grabbit---

My bike is legally a vehicle, and vehicle detectors should be
adjusted to detect it.

Good point. When not being used as a traffic button pusher extension,
the telescoping pole could also help you assert your rights as a lance
for jousting with the drivers of automobiles, trucks, buses, and
trains that might be misinterpreting the laws.

Old October 11th 14, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AE6KS 831-336-2558

in racially backwards areas eg Morro, Yuma...I need to avoid Albertsons. The whining is just too much for comfortable shopping.

I would believe replacing ground loop sensors with pole mounted camera sensors is primo in earthquake areas ? LA near the coast has so dense a collection of pavement cracks that riding a bicycle thru is treacherous.

http://goo.gl/7PSOsU

but costs ?
Old October 11th 14, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, October 10, 2014 9:06:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
AE6KS 831-336-2558

in racially backwards areas eg Morro, Yuma...I need to avoid Albertsons. The whining is just too much for comfortable shopping.

I would believe replacing ground loop sensors with pole mounted camera sensors is primo in earthquake areas ? LA near the coast has so dense a collection of pavement cracks that riding a bicycle thru is treacherous.

http://goo.gl/7PSOsU

but costs ?

http://www.masterfile.com/stock-phot...+ground/page/2

http://goo.gl/bS0cif

earthquake cracked urban street didn't result
Old October 11th 14, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, October 10, 2014 8:28:01 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I'm busy today, so this will not be up to my usual standard of
inaccuracy, math errors, spelling errors, and marginal humor.

And I'm at a family reunion at a seaside resort, enjoying great weather and great company. I'll be brief

Back to vehicle detectors. The problem is the magnetic permeability
of the bicycle frame:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_%28electromagnetism%29#Values_for_som e_common_materials

Carbon steel 1.26x10^-4

Aluminum 1.25x10^-6

Wood 1.25x10^-6

In other words, to have the same effect as steel, an aluminum bike

would need to be 10 times larger.

Other technical people with whom I've corresponded have claimed that the wheels
of a bike are what are normally detected. Some have helped traffic engineers
calibrate the loop detectors, by supplying a 20" wheel rim mounted on a
piece of wood. Sensitivity is increased until that single spokeless rim
is detected. I think they were using an aluminum rim, but I'm not sure.

- Frank Krygowski