A cycling newbie (sort of)

Old March 22nd 04, 01:26 PM
Iain Jones

Default A cycling newbie (sort of)

Hi folks!

It's been a long time since I lurked in this group, something to do
with leaving university and getting myself a job. In that time I
discovered that the thing with two wheels and pedals can do more than
the 20-minute ride to town ... then discovered it couldn't, so last
September I got myself a Giant OCR 4 in the sales and moved on from
there!

At the moment I'm just touring, riding for the pleasure of a day out;
racing's not my thing (maybe in the future). Between 50 and 100 miles
a day, hopefully building up to more through the summer, as long as I
can sort out how to get comfortable on the bike! And 2 or 3 hills en
route as well. Can anyone recommend a club in Liverpool which does
this kind of thing?

Cheers
Iain
Old March 22nd 04, 02:32 PM
McBain_v1

Iain Jones wrote:
Hi folks!
It's been a long time since I lurked in this group, something to do with
leaving university and getting myself a job. In that time I discovered
that the thing with two wheels and pedals can do more than the 20-minute
ride to town ... then discovered it couldn't, so last September I got
myself a Giant OCR 4 in the sales and moved on from there!
At the moment I'm just touring, riding for the pleasure of a day out;
racing's not my thing (maybe in the future). Between 50 and 100 miles
a day, hopefully building up to more through the summer, as long as I
can sort out how to get comfortable on the bike! And 2 or 3 hills en
route as well. Can anyone recommend a club in Liverpool which does
this kind of thing?
Cheers Iain

Erm, not really Liverpool but not a million miles away either. Try V
Halton bike club, based in Widnes, administered by John Gedde
(Olympic Bronze medal winner in pursuits). They ride anywhere betwee
80 and 130 miles, also have an evening Chain Gang where they force yo
to pedal fast

-

Old March 22nd 04, 03:38 PM
Simonb

At the moment I'm just touring, riding for the pleasure of a day out;
racing's not my thing (maybe in the future). Between 50 and 100 miles
a day

How on earth do you find the time to do 50-100 miles a day?

Simon

Old March 22nd 04, 03:42 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

In ,
Simonb typed:
At the moment I'm just touring, riding for the pleasure of a day out;
racing's not my thing (maybe in the future). Between 50 and 100 miles
a day

How on earth do you find the time to do 50-100 miles a day?

Presumably 50-100 miles on the days he goes out for rides, at weekends, or
something.

Old March 22nd 04, 04:01 PM
Simonb

Presumably 50-100 miles on the days he goes out for rides, at weekends, or
something.

Hmm. Yes.

Old March 22nd 04, 05:01 PM
Iain Jones

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:38:57 -0000, "Simonb"
wrote:

At the moment I'm just touring, riding for the pleasure of a day out;
racing's not my thing (maybe in the future). Between 50 and 100 miles
a day

How on earth do you find the time to do 50-100 miles a day?

Simon

Har har. I wish. I try to get out every other weekend, between walking
trips to the Lakes and Wales - I've got a thing about going uphill!

Old June 3rd 04, 04:54 PM
Alan Holmes

"Simonb" wrote in message
.. .
At the moment I'm just touring, riding for the pleasure of a day out;
racing's not my thing (maybe in the future). Between 50 and 100 miles
a day

How on earth do you find the time to do 50-100 miles a day?

I used to do around 80 miles each day, 40 travelling to and from
work and each evening 40 to and from folk dancing, never thought
anything of it.

Alan