Bike servicing

Old March 28th 04, 07:52 PM
phenian

Default Bike servicing

I am planning my first 5 day tour soon and decided I would get my bike
serviced before hand. Looking around at local prices, I thought it would be
better to spend the money on a basic toolkit and a stand and learn to do it
myself.

Can people:
1. suggest what I should service (my bike is a couple of years old and
although I haven't had it that long, I suspect it has not been very well
maintained)
2. what should constitute the essential tools I should get (as well as
any advice on a cheap but cheerful stand). Are the toolsets that are
currently being given away with a Cycling Weekly subscription any good (I
have quite a few of these already) or should I go for a few well chosen but
better quality tools?

Cheers,

Ian

Old March 28th 04, 08:27 PM
Pete Biggs

phenian wrote:
I am planning my first 5 day tour soon and decided I would get my bike
serviced before hand. Looking around at local prices, I thought it
would be better to spend the money on a basic toolkit and a stand and
learn to do it myself.

Can people:
1. suggest what I should service (my bike is a couple of years old
and although I haven't had it that long, I suspect it has not been
very well maintained)

* Any non-cartridge type bearings that you can get at - that's usually
hubs and headset.
* Cables - replace if they're looking dodgy, otherwise lubricate
* Brake blocks - check/replace
* Pedals, seatpost, stem (if conventional "quill" type) - remove, grease
threads/shafts, refit
* Check for loose spokes

2. what should constitute the essential tools I should get (as
well as any advice on a cheap but cheerful stand). Are the toolsets
that are currently being given away with a Cycling Weekly
subscription any good (I have quite a few of these already) or should
I go for a few well chosen but better quality tools?

I think that's the Bike Hand kit (or rebranded same) - Some of those tools
are fine. I suggest getting one and supplement it with more/better tools
as and when required.

A set of allen keys and a cassette remover goes a long way.

~PB

Old March 29th 04, 09:25 AM
Tony W

"phenian" wrote in message

I am planning my first 5 day tour soon

Where? If its up the Orinoco you may need more than a trip down the Loire
(where bike shops can be found with some ease).

and decided I would get my bike
serviced before hand.

Sensible -- even for a short tour.

Looking around at local prices, I thought it would be
better to spend the money on a basic toolkit and a stand and learn to do

it
myself.

You need a basic tool kit anyway. A stand is a bit of a luxury. The
knowledge is always useful.

Can people:
1. suggest what I should service (my bike is a couple of years old and
although I haven't had it that long, I suspect it has not been very well
maintained)

Anything that is loose, manky or otherwise suspect. Make su-

+ all stuff that should be tight is.
+ all stuff that should be lubricated is.
+ brakes work & gears change nicely
+ wheels are true & tight.

If not, fix it.

2. what should constitute the essential tools I should get (as well as
any advice on a cheap but cheerful stand). Are the toolsets that are
currently being given away with a Cycling Weekly subscription any good (I
have quite a few of these already) or should I go for a few well chosen

but
better quality tools?

Once you've done your service you will have a pretty good idea of what tools
you need.

Don't forget the most obvious -- stuff to fix a puncture.

Old March 31st 04, 10:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , phenian
') wrote:

I am planning my first 5 day tour soon and decided I would get my bike
serviced before hand. Looking around at local prices, I thought it
would be better to spend the money on a basic toolkit and a stand and
learn to do it myself.

Can people:
1. suggest what I should service (my bike is a couple of years old
and although I haven't had it that long, I suspect it has not been
very well maintained)
2. what should constitute the essential tools I should get (as well
as any advice on a cheap but cheerful stand). Are the toolsets that
are currently being given away with a Cycling Weekly subscription any
good (I have quite a few of these already) or should I go for a few
well chosen but better quality tools?

The 'bicycle special' tools I keep include

Spoke keys
Crank extractor
Cone spanners
Chain stretch gauge
Chain tool
Cable cutter
Shock pump (useful only for suspension bikes with air suspension units)

All of these are extremely useful and I wouldn't be without them. None
of them are that expensive.

I have one of these patent chain cleaning baths but I would personally
say I don't rate 'em. Best way to clean your chain is to take it off
the bike, swill it round in some parafin, hang it out to dry on the
washing line and then relube it.

I've also recently got myself a proper workstand and wheel building jig
which are nice but they're nowhere near necessary.

One thing I don't have which would be useful is a chain whip

For the rest you can do 90% of jobs on a modern bike with just alan keys
and screwdrivers.

Finally my bike toolkit includes

Tub of LM (lithium) grease
Spray tin of SG1 white grease
Spray tin of Finish Line Cross Country chain lube

All of which are very useful, and

Spray tin of GT 85

which is quite useful in some specific situations but really isn't good
stuff to use on a bike.

;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.