Tubus Cosmo Rack = Expensive Crap for Posers

Old June 6th 11, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Tubus Cosmo Rack = Expensive Crap for Posers

On Jun 5, 7:43*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 6/5/2011 11:24 AM, SMS wrote:

On 6/3/2011 3:13 PM, Coolmaine wrote:

I cannot recommend the Cosmo. It is a poseur's rack, of little
practical use. The makers charge a huge amount of money for it and
don't even give you all the necessary fitting parts. It would probably
be a good rack if it were bigger, in which case the clumsy angling of
the lower rails might not matter, and if it came with enough fitting
components and spring washers to keep it on the bike. As it is sold, I
am decidedly unimpressed.

"They" or "someone" should make the "perfect rack":
[...]

The perfect solution is tossing all your stuff behind the seat of your
velomobile.

The perfect solution to looking a right jerkoff on any road anywhere
in the world: a "velomobile", furthermore painted in a silly
exhibitionist's fluorescent pastel color. Yech.

Old June 6th 11, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jun 5, 9:22*pm, Dan O wrote:

See, while my rack isn't heavily used, it isn't mollycoddled either,
and it is used as a sacrificial item to protect an expensive bike. I
clean the bike, a quick wipe, once a year; I'm not a compulsive waxer.
So the rack will sooner rather than later become rusty if it is
cromoly.

Isn't the bike frame chrome-moly, too?

Sure. For aesthetics I wanted a brazed, lugged, steel bike. I think it
also rides better than those thick and very stiff ali pipes on my
other bikes. But the rack is exposed, while the bike frame is in
reality very difficult to get at to nick the paint. Anyway, for
whatever reason, in practice the paint on my rack wears, and the paint
on the bike lasts and lasts. -- AJ
Old June 6th 11, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 08:35:32 -0700, SMS
wrote:

On 6/5/2011 4:58 AM, DougC wrote:
On 6/4/2011 4:29 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 4-6-2011 22:00, DougC schreef:
On 6/3/2011 5:13 PM, Coolmaine wrote:
The good quality ali rack which came on my Utopia Kranich sacrificed
itself to protect my bike when it was twice attacked by a carelessly
driven Range Rover. Once I managed to straighten it but the second
time it was crippled forever.

On a semi-related note, I have never, ever understood why frame
companies use tiny lower bolts for racks. They're using 3mm bolts when
they should be using 6mm or more.

M3? Look again. Tubus use M5 bolts. Well my racks do.

Lou

I don't know what the exact size is--other than if they're the same size
as the fender bolts, the rack bolts are too ****ing small. And they
should be using bolts 2X as thick.

There's no reason for larger bolts. Not only would larger bolts not
provide any additional strength to the load, they would require larger
struts on the rack and larger braze-ons on the frame.

The exact size is M5, 5mm diameter, so now you do know the exact size.

Theoretically, the fender bolts are too large for the weight they have
to carry, but they use M5 for fenders for several other reasons,
including a larger head diameter for the fender support strut holes, to
minimize the number of different diameter bolts, to allow racks or
fenders to use the same threaded holes by the rear dropouts, and to
simplify manufacturing by not have so many different size taps.

To be picky the exact size is M5-.8, which is the metric coarse
thread. There is also a fine thread that is M5-.5, that won't fit.

The thin rounded head screws are commonly refereed to as "button
head", not as "cap head" as another poster called them.

If you are in the store pointing your finger it is perfectly all right
to say "I'll take 5 of them things, there" but if you aren't it is
better to know the common industry term for the dinguses that you
want.
Old June 6th 11, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Andre Jute wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:31 pm, Tosspot wrote:
On 06/05/2011 12:17 PM, Coolmaine wrote:

On Jun 5, 10:08 am, Tosspot wrote:

snip

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/howto/heavydutyracks.htm:-)
Nice work, Frank. I've saved that article, and the photos separately.
I can get good quality stainless work done locally, except that they
don't do tiny tubes... But bending up bar stock and laser-cutting hole
would be a breeze for these guys. -- Andre Jute

I was quite impressed at how simple it was to fabricate. You get so
used to ally tubing racks, neatly welded, anodized and all, you forget
the basics, it just has to be able to carry a load. My only thought
would be how the panniers fit.

Yeah. I just didn't think of having a rack made of flat bar stock,
bolted together, which would solve my problem of not having a bicycle
fabricator in reach because I could use the standard kitchen/bullbar
fabricators down the road. Guess I've just been mixing with these
roadies, weight weenies and engineers with their counter-productive
mass fetish for too long.

As a school boy wanting to take my bicycle touring with camping gear, I
couldn't afford fancy equipment, and made my own racks from solid steel
round bar, brazed together, as part of metal work classes. I think I've
still got the front rack at home. It never broke, despite rough
treatment and dirt roads with panniers.

The bike had an aluminium rear rack. It think it was a Blackburn rack.
It broke carrying firewood back to camp, but not bad enough to end the
trip. I got it repaired after returning home.

With the bike fully loaded, I could barely lift it off the ground.
Thank goodness for very low gears ;-)

--
JS.
Old June 6th 11, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Molded, Not Laid-up and Painted

On 6/5/2011 6:41 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Jun 5, 7:43�pm, T�m Sherm�n� �_�""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:

The perfect solution is tossing all your stuff behind the seat of your
velomobile.

The perfect solution to looking a right jerkoff on any road anywhere
in the world: a "velomobile", furthermore painted in a silly
exhibitionist's fluorescent pastel color. Yech.

Point of technical correction - the body on my Trisled Rotovelo [1] is
*not* painted. Rather, pigment is added to the HDPE resin prior to
rotational molding. This provides a shell that is much less susceptible
to cosmetic damage than painted fiber-reinforced epoxy shells. The
shell is also semi-translucent, so an internal light can be added for
glow-in-the-dark effects.

[1]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/5792235188/sizes/l/in/photostream/.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 6th 11, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Nickel Plating

On 6/5/2011 6:38 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
I've saved the Nitto/Riv page. The nickel plate sounds like a good
idea. Thanks, Steven. -- AJ

Nickel plating needs to be near-perfect - otherwise ugly rust spots will
appear at the "pinholes" in the plating.

(I once had a nickel-plated bike [1] that suffered from this).

[1] Photo taken by the person I sold it to:
http://www.doctorvision.com/wishbone/wb_profile.jpg.

Old June 6th 11, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

On 6/5/2011 4:58 AM, DougC wrote:
[...]

Standard head height allen bolt is DIN 912 and the
head-too-shallow-for-good-wrench-engagement bolts are ULS.
Cylindrical shape shallow heads are DIN 7984.
Standard height nuts are DIN 934, Nylock are DIN 985.

Go forth and shop; eschew click to buy wrong items.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 6th 11, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 5, 3:18*pm, DougC wrote:

You would likely need to have it custom-made. At least part of it, anyway..

If you could find a cheaper all-steel rack, much of the hardware could
be salvaged from that which would save a lot of time. Bending and
sticking steel tubing with a torch doesn't take long at all.

Alex Wetmore does a lot of that.

Some of his racks can be seen by searching his blog site. For
example, browse around http://tinyurl.com/3th4ffr

- Frank Krygowski

Old June 6th 11, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 5, 7:53*pm, john B. wrote:

To be picky the exact size is M5-.8, which is the metric coarse
thread. There is also a fine thread that is M5-.5, that won't fit.

The thin rounded head screws are commonly refereed to as "button
head", not as "cap head" as another poster called them.

I gave up on button head M5 screws after stripping a couple of the hex
wrench sockets.

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 6th 11, 10:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

$southslope.net" wrote:

The perfect solution is tossing all your stuff behind the seat of your
velomobile.

The perfect solution to looking a right jerkoff on any road anywhere
in the world: a "velomobile", furthermore painted in a silly
exhibitionist's fluorescent pastel color. Yech.

Point of technical correction - the body on my Trisled Rotovelo [1] is
*not* painted. Rather, pigment is added to the HDPE resin prior to
rotational molding. This provides a shell that is much less susceptible
to cosmetic damage than painted fiber-reinforced epoxy shells. The
shell is also semi-translucent, so an internal light can be added for
glow-in-the-dark effects.

[1]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/5792235188/sizes/l/in/photostream/.

My Eyes! My EYES!!

You actually taken that tart out onto the road yet? Cos I'm expecting a
stream of crashed from blinded drivers...

Here are some of the prototype batch cruising Melbourne:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/5139555796_f5f5d2450a.jpg.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Tubus rack extension Keiron[_5_] Techniques 8 September 29th 10 09:24 PM
Tubus Cosmo Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 0 September 11th 10 07:24 AM
Tubus Cargo Rack Bill the Cat Australia 2 April 10th 08 03:03 PM
new tubus locc rack [email protected] General 0 August 31st 05 11:14 AM
Tubus Logo Rack Brian UK 2 November 30th 04 09:10 AM