SRAM DualDrive

Old May 20th 11, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default SRAM DualDrive

While still listed on the website [1], it seems that the DualDrive hubs
may not be available. Anyone know for sure?

[1] http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-comfort/products/dual-drive-27,
http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-comfort/products/dual-drive-24.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old May 20th 11, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
While still listed on the website [1], it seems that the DualDrive hubs
may not be available. Anyone know for sure?

[1] http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-comfort/products/dual-drive-27,
http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-comfort/products/dual-drive-24.

They were dropped after end-2008 if I recall.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 20th 11, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Tºm ShermªnT °_°" " wrote in
message ...
While still listed on the website [1], it seems that the DualDrive hubs
may not be available. Anyone know for sure?

[1] http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-comfort/products/dual-drive-27,
http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-comfort/products/dual-drive-24.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

HP Velotechnic still lists them as the standard gear system for their
Scorpion recumbent trike. I went with the derailleur system, but the shop
owner asked me if I wouldn't like the Dual drive instead.
Kerry

Old May 20th 11, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_2_]

"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" " wrote in
message ...
While still listed on the website [1], it seems that the DualDrive hubs
may not be available. Anyone know for sure?

[1] http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-comfort/products/dual-drive-27,
http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-comfort/products/dual-drive-24.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Found five online retailers worldwide who claim to have them in stock, but
none in the USA.
Start with
http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showite...216183&loc=AUD
and
http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/sram-dual-drive-ii.html
Of course they could be lying. Only way to know for sure is to drop them a
'mail.
I have one in back of a Swift folder. Very satisfactory after I rectified
the ****-poor wheel lacing job performed by G*e*n*p*ed Trikes in Melbourne
Australia.
PH

Old May 22nd 11, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Waterfront Wheelshop

On May 19, 7:55*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
While still listed on the website [1], it seems that the DualDrive hubs
may not be available. *Anyone know for sure?

[1] http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-comfort/products/dual-drive-27,
http://www.sram.com/sram/trekking-comfort/products/dual-drive-24.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Never fear. Sturmey Archer steps up to fill the void.
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/8/id/58
Old June 5th 11, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Snortley

On Sat, 21 May 2011 19:50:45 -0700 (PDT), Waterfront Wheelshop
wrote:

Never fear. Sturmey Archer steps up to fill the void.
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/8/id/58

Nice! However, Sturmey got the pricing math wrong. They should take
elementary arithmetic lessons from SRAM. Here's how Sam & Randy
figured it:

Start with a 3-speed internal hub, about $135.
Subtract the single-cog driver, about $20.
Add a splined cassette driver, about $30.
Total price: over $250.

Sturmey gets a total of about $120 more or less, depending on
retailer.

No silly click box, either, for those who know what 1 mm of free play
in the cable looks like.

What kind of way is that to do business? They should know, no good
deed shall go unpunished.

Old June 6th 11, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Snortley wrote:

Waterfront Wheelshop

Never fear. Sturmey Archer steps up to fill the void.
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/8/id/58

Nice! However, Sturmey got the pricing math wrong. They should take
elementary arithmetic lessons from SRAM. Here's how Sam & Randy
figured it:

Start with a 3-speed internal hub, about $135.
Subtract the single-cog driver, about $20.
Add a splined cassette driver, about $30.
Total price: over $250.

Sturmey gets a total of about $120 more or less, depending on
retailer.

I doubt it will ever catch on in the recumbent bicycle subculture if
it costs less than twice what it should.

Old June 6th 11, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Cost of Bicycle Technology?

On 6/5/2011 7:55 PM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
Snortley wrote:

Waterfront Wheelshop

Never fear. Sturmey Archer steps up to fill the void.
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/8/id/58

Nice! However, Sturmey got the pricing math wrong. They should take
elementary arithmetic lessons from SRAM. Here's how Sam& Randy
figured it:

Start with a 3-speed internal hub, about $135.
Subtract the single-cog driver, about $20.
Add a splined cassette driver, about $30.
Total price: over $250.

Sturmey gets a total of about $120 more or less, depending on
retailer.

I doubt it will ever catch on in the recumbent bicycle subculture if
it costs less than twice what it should.

Yet many will spend $5K or more for a horsey position bicycle [1] using
50 to more than 100 year old technology. After all, the drop-bar road
bike has not changed significantly since the introduction of lever
shifted derailer gearing in the 1950's.

If I were to spend that much, I would want technology not used before on
cycles, such as a rotational-molded body on a velomobile [2],
particularly if I was one of the first five (5) owners in the Western
Hemisphere.

[1] Even some with steel frames and leather saddles.
[2] Particularly if mention of said velomobile annoys certain horsey
position bicycle riders.

Old June 6th 11, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 21:50:20 -0500, Tºm Shermªn™ °_°
" wrote:

On 6/5/2011 7:55 PM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
Snortley wrote:

Waterfront Wheelshop

[...]

Hardly cutting edge technology. Rotational molding was used as far
back as 1855, actually some 25 years older then the "safety bicycle".
The major advantage to rotational molding is its lower cost relative
to injection molding.

Old June 6th 11, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jun 5, 7:50*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 6/5/2011 7:55 PM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:

Snortley wrote:

Waterfront Wheelshop

[...]

Have you ever wondered why you are among the first five owners in the
Western Hemisphere?

-- Jay Beattie.