Carrying a bike - The best method?

Old March 3rd 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Carrying a bike - The best method?

If one has to carry a bike what is the best method? I enquire for both
short and long distances. I don't have a car so that option is out for
long distance and would be useless on trail any way.
I'm mainly asking in case bike has to be carried to LBS but also when
trudging up a very muddy, very unrideable hill on trail.

TR

Old March 3rd 06, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

TrailRat wrote:

I'm mainly asking in case bike has to be carried to LBS but also when
trudging up a very muddy, very unrideable hill on trail.

Depends a lot on the bike. Diamond frame (preferably with a bit of pipe
lagging over the top tube if you' doing it a lot) can be slung over the
shoulder, open frames hook the saddle over a shoulder.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 3rd 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message .com,
TrailRat ') wrote:

If one has to carry a bike what is the best method? I enquire for both
short and long distances. I don't have a car so that option is out for
long distance and would be useless on trail any way.
I'm mainly asking in case bike has to be carried to LBS but also when
trudging up a very muddy, very unrideable hill on trail.

Bikes with horizontal top tubes, stick your shoulder through the frame;
you can get shoulder-straps and shoulder-strap bags much loved by the
cyclo-cross community, which make this more comfortable. Bikes with
modern sloping top tubes: there ain't any good solution.

((DoctorWho)ChristopherEccleston).act();
uk.co.bbc.TypecastException: actor does not want to be typecast.
[adapted from autofile on /., 31/03/05]
Old March 3rd 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Brooke wrote:

Bikes with
modern sloping top tubes: there ain't any good solution.

FSVO "slope", and the more extreme ones are so sloping you can just
treat it like an open frame and hook the saddle nose over your shoulder.
Larger frames without too much slope (like my old EBC Contour 400) you
can put a shoulder through okay. There are points between those two
where it will be a PITA though.

Pete.
Old March 3rd 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message .com,
TrailRat ') wrote:

If one has to carry a bike what is the best method? ...
I'm mainly asking in case bike has to be carried to LBS but also when
trudging up a very muddy, very unrideable hill on trail.

Bikes with horizontal top tubes, stick your shoulder through the frame;
you can get shoulder-straps and shoulder-strap bags much loved by the
cyclo-cross community, which make this more comfortable. Bikes with
modern sloping top tubes: there ain't any good solution.

Personally I've never felt the need to lift the bike that high -
possibly because my bike usually has a loaded pannier on when I lift
it. I just lift with my right hand low down on the seat tube. The left
hand holds the handlebar for control. This works up and down all but
the steepest steps - but is only OK for very short distances.

Colin McKenzie

Old March 4th 06, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

TrailRat wrote:
If one has to carry a bike what is the best method? I enquire for both
short and long distances. I don't have a car so that option is out for
long distance and would be useless on trail any way.
I'm mainly asking in case bike has to be carried to LBS but also when
trudging up a very muddy, very unrideable hill on trail.

If its loaded or just to heavy to pick up one handed, right hand on LH
chainstay, LH on righthand handelbar, right sholder against top tube, saddle
or whatever.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old March 30th 06, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"TrailRat" wrote in message
oups.com...
If one has to carry a bike what is the best method? I enquire for both
short and long distances. I don't have a car so that option is out for
long distance and would be useless on trail any way.
I'm mainly asking in case bike has to be carried to LBS but also when
trudging up a very muddy, very unrideable hill on trail.

We always used to just hook the bike over our shoulders, with the crossbar
on your shoulder.

Alan

Old March 30th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Alan Holmes wrote:
"TrailRat" wrote in message
oups.com...
If one has to carry a bike what is the best method? I enquire for both
short and long distances. I don't have a car so that option is out for
long distance and would be useless on trail any way.
I'm mainly asking in case bike has to be carried to LBS but also when
trudging up a very muddy, very unrideable hill on trail.

We always used to just hook the bike over our shoulders, with the crossbar
on your shoulder.

I find hooking the nose of the saddle over my shoulder works best with
maybe a bit of padding if its a long way to spread the load of the
saddle rails.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
The Bike Show Danny Colyer UK 1 July 7th 05 10:24 PM
Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
May 6 NYC NBG Day to Honor Fallen Bike Activist Cycle America Recumbent Biking 0 April 11th 05 04:13 PM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM