Streets of Death!

Old May 25th 11, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Streets of Death!

http://wweek.com/portland/article-17...of-death_.html

Look at the dude in the foreground. It looks like he's riding and
texting.

This story is in our local free rag, the Willamette Week -- which did
an entire edition on bicycling this week.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl..._to_bikes.html
Old May 25th 11, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/25/2011 2:52 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
http://wweek.com/portland/article-17...of-death_.html

Look at the dude in the foreground. It looks like he's riding and
texting.

This story is in our local free rag, the Willamette Week -- which did
an entire edition on bicycling this week.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl..._to_bikes.html

Maybe he has a map application open.

How can anyone text while cycling. I'm too busy shaving and drinking
coffee and reading the newspaper.
Old May 25th 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 25, 5:52*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
http://wweek.com/portland/article-17...of-death_.html
This story is in our local free rag, the Willamette Week -- which did
an entire edition on bicycling this week.

Should have been called "Streets of very occasional road rash."

From the story: "HOW YOU WILL BE INJURED"

"It will happen in winter—December or January—on a clear, dry day. You
will be riding on a residential street with no bike infrastructure.
The culprit will probably be not a car but poor road conditions—gravel
or a steel plate or a storm drain. You will tear your skin, and
probably hurt your arms or legs, but not so badly as to require a
hospital stay."

A 2008 study by Oregon Health and Science University.. [showed] riders
can expect a traumatic accident every 6,670 miles." More accurately,
they can expect a very minor injury, like a scraped knee, every 6.670
miles. And if they have sense to watch the road surface, it will
happen far less often.

Why do bike advocates spend so much energy portraying bicycling as
dangerous? "Streets of death?" Ludicrous.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 26th 11, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl...rself_to_bikes....

Maybe he has a map application open.

How can anyone text while cycling. I'm too busy shaving and drinking
coffee and reading the newspaper.

I can change gloves, or eat a mojo bar, but cleaning my glasses I rode
over something and destroyed a ~$50 tire.
Old May 26th 11, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 25, 2:52 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
http://wweek.com/portland/article-17...of-death_.html

Look at the dude in the foreground. It looks like he's riding and
texting.

This story is in our local free rag, the Willamette Week -- which did
an entire edition on bicycling this week.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl...rself_to_bikes....

I got back in the saddle Tuesday. Made it in fine in good time. Made
it home all right, too, but was only just keeping the crank turning
for the last 5 miles or so. A couple of weeks ago I ran out of gas
ten miles from town and rode in bag o' spanners.

Old May 26th 11, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 25, 6:03 pm, Dan O wrote:
On May 25, 2:52 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

http://wweek.com/portland/article-17...of-death_.html

Look at the dude in the foreground. It looks like he's riding and
texting.

This story is in our local free rag, the Willamette Week -- which did
an entire edition on bicycling this week.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl...rself_to_bikes....

I got back in the saddle Tuesday. Made it in fine in good time. Made
it home all right, too, but was only just keeping the crank turning
for the last 5 miles or so. A couple of weeks ago I ran out of gas
ten miles from town and rode in bag o' spanners.

I guess you can't really go bag o' spanners for ten miles, but it felt
like the bike was keeping me going as much as I was it.
Old May 26th 11, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 25, 3:25 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On May 25, 5:52 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

http://wweek.com/portland/article-17...of-death_.html
This story is in our local free rag, the Willamette Week -- which did
an entire edition on bicycling this week.

Should have been called "Streets of very occasional road rash."

From the story: "HOW YOU WILL BE INJURED"

"It will happen in winter—December or January—on a clear, dry day. You
will be riding on a residential street with no bike infrastructure.
The culprit will probably be not a car but poor road conditions—gravel
or a steel plate or a storm drain. You will tear your skin, and
probably hurt your arms or legs, but not so badly as to require a
hospital stay."

A 2008 study by Oregon Health and Science University.. [showed] riders
can expect a traumatic accident every 6,670 miles." More accurately,
they can expect a very minor injury, like a scraped knee, every 6.670
miles. And if they have sense to watch the road surface, it will
happen far less often.

Why do bike advocates spend so much energy portraying bicycling as
dangerous? "Streets of death?" Ludicrous.

It's obviously a piece of imagination from the get go.

Old May 26th 11, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 25, 3:25 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On May 25, 5:52 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

http://wweek.com/portland/article-17...of-death_.html
This story is in our local free rag, the Willamette Week -- which did
an entire edition on bicycling this week.

Should have been called "Streets of very occasional road rash."

I carry alcohol wipes in my bag. They sting.

snip
- Frank Krygowski

Old May 26th 11, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 5/25/2011 5:25 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On May 25, 5:52�pm, Jay wrote:
http://wweek.com/portland/article-17...of-death_.html
This story is in our local free rag, the Willamette Week -- which did
an entire edition on bicycling this week.

Should have been called "Streets of very occasional road rash."

From the story: "HOW YOU WILL BE INJURED"

"It will happen in winter�December or January�on a clear, dry day. You
will be riding on a residential street with no bike infrastructure.
The culprit will probably be not a car but poor road conditions�gravel
or a steel plate or a storm drain. You will tear your skin, and
probably hurt your arms or legs, but not so badly as to require a
hospital stay."

These types of injuries will *not* happen to velomobilists. To bad I
will not have a velomobile to ride this week [1].

[1] Go FedEx truck, Go!

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old May 26th 11, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 5/25/2011 8:06 PM, Dan O wrote:
On May 25, 6:03 pm, Dan wrote:
On May 25, 2:52 pm, Jay wrote:

http://wweek.com/portland/article-17...of-death_.html

Look at the dude in the foreground. It looks like he's riding and
texting.

This story is in our local free rag, the Willamette Week -- which did
an entire edition on bicycling this week.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl...rself_to_bikes....

I got back in the saddle Tuesday. Made it in fine in good time. Made
it home all right, too, but was only just keeping the crank turning
for the last 5 miles or so. A couple of weeks ago I ran out of gas
ten miles from town and rode in bag o' spanners.

I guess you can't really go bag o' spanners for ten miles, but it felt
like the bike was keeping me going as much as I was it.

I have had a couple of such rides, where I had to concentrate of keeping
my legs moving.