What happens to bike Bell?

Old September 10th 16, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Red Cloud

Default What happens to bike Bell?

"Ting..ting.." Notice today bikers use less bike bell. It was used to popular in the past that bike bell sounds representing a bicycle was passing by. Why not use any more today? One of my childish songs I still remember is about "Ting ting
biker is coming and stay in a side.." The time when bikers used bike bell.
I think using bike bell just does not fit the today newage biker fashion and style. Imagine Lance Armstrong type of cyclist using bike bell may look so childish. So they shout like a commander in chief: "LEFT.."

Use bike bell more and stop shout like angry chief.. I always give Middle-Finger at shouting cyclist...
Old September 10th 16, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 6:13:12 PM UTC-4, Red Cloud wrote:
"Ting..ting.." Notice today bikers use less bike bell. It was used to popular in the past that bike bell sounds representing a bicycle was passing by. Why not use any more today? One of my childish songs I still remember is about "Ting ting
biker is coming and stay in a side.." The time when bikers used bike bell.
I think using bike bell just does not fit the today newage biker fashion and style. Imagine Lance Armstrong type of cyclist using bike bell may look so childish. So they shout like a commander in chief: "LEFT.."

Use bike bell more and stop shout like angry chief.. I always give Middle-Finger at shouting cyclist...

we have a loooong bike path during winter covered with Fuds. Used a dome shaped Nbar bell....very effective. excellent.

In 20 years have heard one other bell ding. Uno.

Interesting caws the Fuds are retirees of bell awareness age I would imagine but not. No Bell
Old September 11th 16, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Red Cloud writes:

"Ting..ting.." Notice today bikers use less bike bell. It was used
to popular in the past that bike bell sounds representing a bicycle
was passing by. Why not use any more today? One of my childish songs I
still remember is about "Ting ting biker is coming and stay in a
side.." The time when bikers used bike bell. I think using bike bell
just does not fit the today newage biker fashion and style. Imagine
Lance Armstrong type of cyclist using bike bell may look so
childish. So they shout like a commander in chief: "LEFT.."

Use bike bell more and stop shout like angry chief.. I always give
Middle-Finger at shouting cyclist...

I have a bell, and use it when riding on paths with dog walkers and
suchlike. Often it works well, although I have seen at least one person
suddenly look around behind herself for the change she must have dropped.

Old September 11th 16, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 09-10-2016 18:45, Radey Shouman wrote:
Red Cloud writes:

"Ting..ting.." Notice today bikers use less bike bell. It was used
to popular in the past that bike bell sounds representing a bicycle
was passing by. Why not use any more today? One of my childish songs I
still remember is about "Ting ting biker is coming and stay in a
side.." The time when bikers used bike bell. I think using bike bell
just does not fit the today newage biker fashion and style. Imagine
Lance Armstrong type of cyclist using bike bell may look so
childish. So they shout like a commander in chief: "LEFT.."

Use bike bell more and stop shout like angry chief.. I always give
Middle-Finger at shouting cyclist...

I have a bell, and use it when riding on paths with dog walkers and
suchlike. Often it works well, although I have seen at least one person
suddenly look around behind herself for the change she must have dropped.

I have found that half the people hiking in Spain don't hear the bell or
the shout, in both English and Spanish.

But I don't shout "left!" I say "Bicycle passing on the left!" (or right)

--
Wes Groleau
Old September 11th 16, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oGk-ozhKI

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 11th 16, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

You want me to put a beastly heavy bell on my 6.5 kg wunderbike? Never!
I need that ultra low weight bike to compensate for the 30 lbs of beer
gut...

Sorry, today on my ride I saw three fairly obese guys in their 60s
riding brand spanking new carbon fiber bikes that probably weighed no
more than 15 lbs. No pumps, no tools, no spares that I could see. Me
and my steel/fendered/lighted/front bagged/36 spoked bike probably
weighed less than those guys without their bikes (I am 6'3" and 220
lbs...) . One of 'em had the geriatric mullet going too (bald on top,
pony tail in back).
Old September 11th 16, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 6:13:12 PM UTC-4, Red Cloud wrote:
"Ting..ting.." Notice today bikers use less bike bell. It was used to popular in the past that bike bell sounds representing a bicycle was passing by. Why not use any more today? One of my childish songs I still remember is about "Ting ting
biker is coming and stay in a side.." The time when bikers used bike bell..
I think using bike bell just does not fit the today newage biker fashion and style. Imagine Lance Armstrong type of cyclist using bike bell may look so childish. So they shout like a commander in chief: "LEFT.."

Use bike bell more and stop shout like angry chief.. I always give Middle-Finger at shouting cyclist...

With the sound prrofing/limiting inside cars these days drivers aren't likely to hear a bicycle bell. People on many MUPs or rail-trails often have an ear bud in both ears and thus can't hear a bicycle bell either. Also, people on rail-trails around here look skyward when they hear a bicycle bell. I never could figure out why they do that but I've had other friends try using a bicycle bell on those same trails and they report the same thig haoppened to them when thy rang their bell = people stopped and looked up. I prefer to use a small air boat horn nad that really gets attention. Drivers or pedestrians often mistake it for a semi-truck horn and react accordingly = they get out of the way or stop the stupid manouver they were about to do.

Cheers

Cheers
Old September 11th 16, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 15:13:07 -0700 (PDT), Red Cloud
wrote:

"Ting..ting.." Notice today bikers use less bike bell. It was used to popular in the past that bike bell sounds representing a bicycle was passing by. Why not use any more today? One of my childish songs I still remember is about "Ting ting
biker is coming and stay in a side.." The time when bikers used bike bell.
I think using bike bell just does not fit the today newage biker fashion and style. Imagine Lance Armstrong type of cyclist using bike bell may look so childish. So they shout like a commander in chief: "LEFT.."

Use bike bell more and stop shout like angry chief.. I always give Middle-Finger at shouting cyclist...

It might be also that as bicycles are far less common than in
yesteryear perhaps the ordinary pedestrian doesn't recognize the sound
of a bike bell. When I had a boat I had a bell on the bike I rode
around in the Marina and quite often people would look back in
surprise when I went ding - ding.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 11th 16, 07:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 11-9-2016 om 4:31 schreef Frank Krygowski:
On 9/10/2016 6:13 PM, Red Cloud wrote:

"Ting..ting.." Notice today bikers use less bike bell. It was used
to popular in the past that bike bell sounds representing a bicycle
was passing by. Why not use any more today? One of my childish songs I
still remember is about "Ting ting
biker is coming and stay in a side.." The time when bikers used bike
bell.
I think using bike bell just does not fit the today newage biker
fashion and style. Imagine Lance Armstrong type of cyclist using bike
bell may look so childish. So they shout like a commander in chief:
"LEFT.."

Use bike bell more and stop shout like angry chief.. I always give
Middle-Finger at shouting cyclist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oGk-ozhKI

That would look quite different here in the Netherlands ;-)

Lou
Old September 11th 16, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Yeah a friend has one of those Harpo Marx horns mounted on his bike. I
know they work in spite of the ear buds because of the way the
skateboarders jump when he uses it. Unfortunately, they often jump in
front of me. On MUPs I prefer to lie in wait and pounce when I have an
opening.

--
duane