Glass Resistant Tires

Old September 16th 16, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Tires with sidewall protection (was Glass Resistant Tires)

On 2016-09-15, Joerg wrote:

Seriously, I neither care about riding comfort nor about weight. All I
care about is not having a delay caused by equipment failure.

In that case, I also recommend the Schwalbe Durano DD, the 28mm if
your frame and brakes can fit it. Same protection characteristics as
the previously mentioned Ultremo DD, but more rubber and the option
of a wire bead model for an additional 100g penalty.
http://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/durano-dd.html

Thanks, noted in my bike wiki file. The brakes and the fork would do
28mm but not the frame. However, they have a 25mm wire bead version.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 16th 16, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-09-14 23:02, Gregory Sutter wrote:

Joerg, I don't think the Correre will be what you want; they lack
the sidewall protection layer. The CST Conquistare has some models
with bead-to-bead protection, though. Despite being 60tpi and
a bit heavy, they look promising.
http://www.csttires.com/int/bike/roa...uistare-c1761/
Weight: 280g (23mm), 295g (25mm)

Thanks! Best of all is this one comes in 25mm wire bead. I do not care
about weight. All that matters to me is getting there without a flat.

Note that the wire bead ones don't have the "EPSBTB" that you're
looking for. And I know you said you don't care, but they're going
to ride like wood blocks compared to the higher TPI folding ones.

Indeed. I wonder why they did that.

Old September 16th 16, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Glass Resistant Tires

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 8:30:21 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Originally Specialized came out with the Armadillo tires that were glass resistant. This was rapidly followed by Continental's Gatorskin.

Because the Continental was more widely available it became very popular.

So now most manufacturers are either producing glass resistant tires or are developing them.

Schwalbe's Fatskins seem to work well but the rubber compound cuts quite easily though punctures appear to be rare.

I still prefer the Armadillo but because it's a house tire of Specialized they are hard to find and expensive. Though they are very flat resistant and have good wear. A Gatorskin will get me about 1,000 miles before they need to be replaced whereas I have about 1,500 on my latest set of Armadillos and while I'm a bit nervous they still have tread all around.

The Gatorskin compound seems to me to be too hard for good traction.

I was just told that Michelin has a new tire in this class - the Power. Has anyone tried these yet? They are tread-less and I wonder how overall traction is. I think they haven't been out long enough to get a decent reading on road wear.

Also - there are several tubeless tires on the market that are supposed to be glass resistant. However, so far I'm told that they don't protect the sidewalls and get glass cuts there easily.

Thanks for all of the good information.

Joerg, if memory serves we're about the same size and the same weight. So I'm a little curious why you get such mileage. I DO change the tire out before thread begins showing. But you can feel that it isn't far from it.

Since I sport ride, I use 23 mm tires pumped up pretty hard - 100+ though sometimes I'll ride it for two or three days and the pressure will fall to 75 psi before I pump them up.
Old September 16th 16, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

My rear tire gets penalized by an additional 10-20 lbs on the luggage
rack, depending on growler fill status :-)

I use 25mm beaded Gatorskins, also pumped to 110 psi. Very thick tubes
inside but that should not have much effect on the surface wear. Rides
are often partial fun/sport combined with errands such as bringing an
urgent package to Fedex when their pickup was already through. That can
be 30lbs added to the rear and then I step on it. At 2500mi the tires
are at the point where you can see the running surface being too thin.

When I ride in the flatlands its usually somewhere between 17-22mph
sustained. I can do 25mph but latest after an hour I am out of breath. A
much more sporty friend who keep it above 25mph almost all the time
weighs only around 170 lbs and his bike is one of those very light
carbon-fiber deals. He uses $20-25 tires and get around 2000 miles out
of a rear.

I have platform pedals on the road bike and never use cycling shoes,
never owned any. So I can't pull on the upstroke but I can't imagine
that making a difference. One thing I don't do is take curves at maximum
lean and full tilt. Too many friends wiped out that way. One died :-(

On hills I often pull away from others and I could imagine that being
hard on the rear tire yet they last. Maybe your hills are steeper and
you've got even more than we do?

MTB tires are a very different story. After 500 miles they are done.

Old September 20th 16, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-09-15, Joerg wrote:

Seriously, I neither care about riding comfort nor about weight. All I
care about is not having a delay caused by equipment failure.

In that case, I also recommend the Schwalbe Durano DD, the 28mm if
your frame and brakes can fit it. Same protection characteristics as
the previously mentioned Ultremo DD, but more rubber and the option
of a wire bead model for an additional 100g penalty.
http://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/durano-dd.html

Thanks, noted in my bike wiki file. The brakes and the fork would do
28mm but not the frame. However, they have a 25mm wire bead version.

Put a 28 in the front, then, and a 25 in the rear.

I have the opposite situation, a fork which has such a tight
clearance that I don't dare run a 25 in it (on an Open Pro rim).
Anything over 1mm out of true would have the tire rubbing against the
fork crown, so I use a 23 on the front and a 25 in the rear.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old September 20th 16, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-09-15, Joerg wrote:

Seriously, I neither care about riding comfort nor about weight. All I
care about is not having a delay caused by equipment failure.

Also for your bike wiki file: this month's Bicycling mag had an ad
for Kenda Kountach Endurance tires, the defining feature thereof
being a bead-to-bead Aramid layer plus a second one under the tread.
Also they're not very expensive compared to competitors. Apparently
they've been around for a while, but I've just become aware.

http://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/f...ach-endurance/

$25 via eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/361544681892

Cheers.

Old September 20th 16, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Aramid maybe a racer's accoutrement not flat proofing per se.
Old September 20th 16, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-09-15, Joerg wrote:

Seriously, I neither care about riding comfort nor about weight. All I
care about is not having a delay caused by equipment failure.

Also for your bike wiki file: this month's Bicycling mag had an ad
for Kenda Kountach Endurance tires, the defining feature thereof
being a bead-to-bead Aramid layer plus a second one under the tread.
Also they're not very expensive compared to competitors. Apparently
they've been around for a while, but I've just become aware.

http://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/f...ach-endurance/

Thanks! Duly noted. I prefer wire bead but a sturdy liner is much more
important.

$25 via eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/361544681892

I still do not have an EBay account but it sure looks like I need one.
The ceramic-based brake pads from China I used up to now were the best I
ever rode but Amazon doesn't carry them anymore. The only place I saw
some that looked like the real deal was EBay.

Old September 26th 16, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 11:30:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Originally Specialized came out with the Armadillo tires that were glass resistant. This was rapidly followed by Continental's Gatorskin.

Because the Continental was more widely available it became very popular.

So now most manufacturers are either producing glass resistant tires or are developing them.

Schwalbe's Fatskins seem to work well but the rubber compound cuts quite easily though punctures appear to be rare.

I still prefer the Armadillo but because it's a house tire of Specialized they are hard to find and expensive. Though they are very flat resistant and have good wear. A Gatorskin will get me about 1,000 miles before they need to be replaced whereas I have about 1,500 on my latest set of Armadillos and while I'm a bit nervous they still have tread all around.

The Gatorskin compound seems to me to be too hard for good traction.

I just discovered a 4x3mm tear in the running surface of my rear Gatorskin that exposed the cord underneath. It has only about 2,000 Km on it--a bit of a disappointment, really. It is, however, still holding air and at least it did not go flat on a ride.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Glass pieces in tires dgk General 21 May 8th 07 02:38 PM
Light and puncture resistant tires for Madone chris c General 23 June 20th 06 12:43 AM
new tech for puncture resistant tires? tiborg Techniques 12 June 17th 06 06:04 AM
Best puncture resistant clincher tires [email protected] Techniques 34 March 20th 06 09:17 PM
What do YOU use to pull glass/wires/nails/goatheads out of tires? [email protected] General 8 January 24th 06 09:42 PM